Author Topic: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?  (Read 279757 times)

Offline Captain Swoop

• Venus
Re: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
As we have film of the Rover operating with one occupant and not turning over how did they get it if the Rover wouldn't work?

How can you use film of the rover driving around with one occupant to claim that it couldn't drive around with one occupant?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
As we have film of the Rover operating with one occupant and not turning over how did they get it if the Rover wouldn't work?

How can you use film of the rover driving around with one occupant to claim that it couldn't drive around with one occupant?
Especially since, as I already pointed out, a visual effect would not cut it. You could need a practical effect, i.e. something that worked. Actually, it would have to work better than the rover ever would, yet be visually identical, even in close up.
Got an answer, anywho?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
The drawing a few pages back references specifically to the acceptable CoG for a LRV with TWO astronauts. What is the acceptable CoG for a LRV with ONE astronaut?

Noldi400 beat me to the punch, but the document you reference already contains expected performance deviation for operational considerations outside the nominal envelope.  I tried to have a discussion with you about what these envelopes mean, but you just accused me and others of being "difficult."  You quote nominal c.g. envelopes as if they were some hard-and-fast limit to what can be done.  It's especially disingenuous that if you had actually read the document you quoted, you likely would have come to the realization that the LRV can indeed be suitably operated outside those envelopes given certain accommodations, even if you didn't understand the details.  If the document gives peformance data for the three major LRV configurations, why would you say they weren't studied or tested?  If the document provides graphs telling you how performance degrades if the c.g. is eccentrically located, or if speed or slope are out of nominal ranges, then why would you suggest the vehicle cannot be operated under those conditions?

Your whole notion of "allowable envelope" is naive.  There is the nominal envelope and then there is a less well defined degradation of performance.  If your hoax theory depends on the assumption of hard-and-fast limits, beyond which operation is impossible, then you're out of luck.

This is why I posed the question as to whether the rovers were ever actually designed for one astronaut.

Yes, it was a specific design requirement.  The LRV had to be able to operate either with up to 100 pounds-mass of equipment plus two astronauts at 370 pounds-mass each, or one astronaut plus up to 470 pounds-mass of cargo -- and up to 70 pounds-mass of accumulated samples in both configurations. (Lunar Roving Vehicle Statement of Work.  Doc. RFP#1L-LRV-1.  Huntsville, Ala. (MSFC). July 3, 1969. p. 15)

However, you've been asserting ever since your arrival here that a one-occupant LRV was too badly "unbalanced" to be used as depicted.  This was before you did any appreciable research, performed any computation, or indeed investigated the problem with any sort of rigor.  Now you're trying to backfill your predetermined belief by trumped-up accusations of missing requirements and performance data and continued handwaving attempts at vehicle engineering.  You don't seem to entertain the possibility that all the word's engineers might be right after all and you, fumbling as you go, might be wrong.

What in the debriefing refutes the two valid links I supplied?

"[transcribing John Young] I didn't get up to any great speed, maybe 10 clicks at the most, but the terrain was too rough and too rocky for that kind of foolishness." (Apollo 16 Technical Crew Briefing.  Houston, Tex. (MSC).  May 5, 1972.  p. 10-59)  While Young's top speed may have been 10 km/h, we know his typical speed in the Grand Prix was much less.  We take Young at his word when he reports the top speed reached as 10 km/h, but we note that later in the debrief he admits being unable to accurately estimate speeds between 7 and 10 km/h by eye, and that he didn't have his eye on the speedo very often.

We can also photographically (i.e., photogrammetrically) reconstruct the two out-and-back jaunts Young did on the film.  We know the film speed and we know key LRV dimensions, so we can determine how far he went and how long it took him to get there.  The average speeds of his out-and-back trips are in the 7-8 km/h range, if I recall correctly.

Finally, item B on the commander's EVA checklist for the Grand Prix instructs him to call out his maximum speed.  Why?  Because the three goals of the Grand Prix were to test max acceleration, extreme steering, and max braking.  To test max acceleration you accelerate flat-out from a standing stop in a straight line until you get to the fastest speed you're comfortable with, and then call it out.  This is what Young did.  The time (as recorded by the film) and the highest speed reached give acceleration.  But the steering and braking tests weren't conducted at full speed, or indeed at any designated speed.  So Young's stability and braking tests took place at much lower speeds.  He did two rounds of this.  To insinuate that the Grand Prix was recklessly conducted at excessive speeds is simply incorrect.

One which is the speed limit set at 8.5kph over rough mare...

No.  First, "rough mare" is defined in Exhibit 1 of the SOW.  Young's "rough and rocky" comment notwithstanding, you may not substitute your personal interpretation of it.  Stanley Kaufman at Bell Labs did the mathematical modeling of terrain and established those breakpoints based on modeled vehicle performance.  They are criteria that relate to how the vehicle actually behaves differently due to terrain, not some eyeball or wishful-thinking estimate.

Second, the table from which you quote "top" speeds is qualified, not absolute.  You may not disregard the qualifications.  The contract top speed for flat and level terrain was 16 km/h.  According to your table the "top speed" was 13 km/h for flat and level terrain.  So how did Boeing get away with delivering a vehicle that didn't meet specifications?  The answer is that the results Boeing publishes here are not "top speeds."  They're recommended speeds, given certain conditions and additional requirements.  That's the qualification.

The specific qualification here is astronaut fatigue.  You have to hold on, and the Apollo 15 crew discovered that the faster you go for long periods, the more fatiguing it is to hold on tight enough.  Going slower reduces the fatigue of riding.  The recommended speeds beginning with Apollo 16 are for sustained travel, where fatigue becomes a factor.  For a ten-second acceleration test, the cruise-speed recommendations are irrelevant.

...and one which says they went 10kph over what is obviously rough mare...

I know Eric Jones (the ALSJ author) and I'm sure I can convince him to forgive you for misinterpreting his narration.  He merely quotes the estimate of momentary top speed provided by the crew, not some imaginary sustained speed.

...and with one astronaut so the CoG is outside the acceptable envelope.

Outside the nominal envelope.  Do not impose your interpretation or layman's notion of requirements.  And you have provided no correct computation for where the one-occupant c.g. would be, so you have no basis for the premise that the c.g. was outside any sort of envelope.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
That was pretty much my point, Jay. If Anywho had actually read the document he cited, it should have covered all his questions.

BTW, thanks, Anywho, for that link. I hadn't seen that particular one and it's a welcome addition to my collection.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
Can anyone figure out what I just described?  :)

Some piece of railroading rolling stock, I'm sure.  And I'm equally sure you'd take the same sort of exception to a non-railroader who claimed railroad operations were unacceptably hazardous because they didn't conform to that person's misguided, simplistic conceptions of vehicle dynamics.

Tri-level or tall bi-level (for trucks) auto rack. 

Anywho - think about one loaded with 15 automobiles, 5 to a deck.  We move 'em at up to 70MPH.  By your reasoning, we couldn't do it as the CG would be too high.

Offline armillary

• Mercury
Re: Were the rovers ever designed for one astronaut?
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
So what is the allowable CoG envelope?

If you read the document you quoted yourself, note where it says "Allowable C.G envelope for vehicle fully loaded".

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Were the rovers ever designed for one astronaut?
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
If you read the document you quoted yourself, note where it says "Allowable C.G envelope for vehicle fully loaded".

He wants the c.g. for other loadouts.  What he doesn't seem to realize is that there are several pages of graphs in his document that relate recommended operational limits to displacement of the c.g. both vertically and laterally (since roll stability seems to be the prime concern).  That is, "If your c.g. is laterally displaced by this many inches, your maximum turn radius and speed are..." and then you read the graph for whatever property you're interested in.  The allowable (i.e., nominal) c.g. envelope promises that if you keep the c.g. within these boundaries under the given loadout, the LRV can be counted on to fulfill its other obligations, such as 16 km/h maximum speed over flat level ground, turn radius governed by nominal velocity, static roll and pitch excursions due to terrain up to 45 degrees in any axis, and so forth.  Basically it says, "If you keep the c.g. in here, you can do everything in the statement of work without worry."

It's the difference between required performance under contract acceptance conditions, and real-world performance under exceptional conditions.  The Boeing documentation provides the results of their testing and modeling that, first, prove the vehicle meets contractual requirements, and second, shows what the vehicle is likely to do when contractual requirements are exceeded.  For example, at full speed with the c.g. displaced 7 inches laterally from the longitudinal axis, Boeing recommends increasing the turn radius from 34 feet to 40 feet.  This is based in part on Kaufman's model, but also in part on empirical tests.  It doesn't matter why the c.g. would displaced.  The one- or two-astronaut dilemma is a red herring.  The point is that the data are there.  At 8 km/h, the nominal maneuvering speed, you can displace the c.g. laterally by two feet and the turning radius goes from 10 feet to 20 feet.  Yes, the c.g., is well outside the "allowable" envelope at this point.  But that doesn't mean the vehicle suddenly becomes undrivable.  It means it will likely fail if the nominal turning radius were attempted, but that's just stupid.  anywho reads far too much into "allowable."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
You are studiously and obviously avoidng the question asked of you MANY TIMES.  I think it's high time you were pulled up and REQUIRED to answer:

1.  What is being shown in the lengthy films of the LRV?  What is the vehicle and where/how was it filmed?

I have asked that question twice.  Anywho, take this post as the third time of asking.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
He wants the c.g. for other loadouts.  What he doesn't seem to realize is that there are several pages of graphs in his document that relate recommended operational limits to displacement of the c.g. both vertically and laterally (since roll stability seems to be the prime concern).

I'm sure anywho will correct me if i'm wrong, but i would be willing to bet a factor in his insistence that his source material did not contain such information is an inability to interpret the graphs. I suspect he wants pretty pictures of the rover with one astronaut and a big black dot where the centre of mass is in that configuration.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »
I have asked that question twice.  Anywho, take this post as the third time of asking.

Take this as another, anywho. There is film (and some video) of the rover being operated with one astronaut. There is footage of it being operated full stop. Will you please explain exactly what that is actually shoting if not an operational rover, paying particular attention to the fact that these bits of film and video either show clear evidence of low gravity and vacuum or else are part of longer pieces of footage that show clear evidence of same even if the rover footage itself is not so clear on those points.

What is your alternative scenario to 'the rovers were operated on the Moon as described'?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Captain Swoop

• Venus
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »
What is your alternative scenario to 'the rovers were operated on the Moon as described'?

I imagine something along the lines of the Rover in the film not being built to the Specs put out by NASA and the footage is somewhere on Earth.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2013, 05:35:08 AM »
I think the alternative is not to go down the road of alternatives if that makes sense. This seems to be the basis for this little theory, unless a hole can be proven or doubt shown then other paths will not be looked into in public as they cannot be backed up without this perceived issue. I suspect he/she is waiting for a typo or slight error to try to capitalise. Lack of any reasoning other than gut feeling and waiting for someone to slip up, albeit in error, and use that.

I rather suspect people like me who are not qualified do not count here. Some form of authority is required to bolster the attempt.

Offline anywho

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2013, 07:38:26 AM »

Well, it appears to me that the document you referenced (NASA-TX-X-66816, the LRV Performance Data Appendix) pretty much answers all the questions you've posed.

Specifically, they evaluated the stability of the LRV when occupied by one astronaut:

Yep lol, the one time they specifically acknowledge one astronaut is when the rover is static, not moving, parked.

They even evaluated your question about sliding-sideways-and-hitting-a-rock:

No they don't, not fully anyhow, they evaluated it for fully loaded only. A tripped rollover is the most common cause of rollovers and yet they ignore evaluating when only one astronaut is on board. You are even more likely to end up sideways if you are driving around over slippery, uneven terrain, in an unbalanced vehicle.

And, yes, it is unbalanced with a 400lb astronaut sitting on one side of a 460lb vehicle, and, yes, this does take it outside the designated envelope.

Why don't they pay attention to the additional rollover possibilities that occur with one astronaut?

these bits of film and video either show clear evidence of low gravity and vacuum or else are part of longer pieces of footage that show clear evidence of same even if the rover footage itself is not so clear on those points.

f you want to see what low gravity would really looks like, then have a look at the most valid test they did on the rovers (starts at 2.04):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FVMfjPXwRO4#t=124s

Look at it bouncing around even at very low speeds and a relatively smooth test bed, look at what a farce the test is and how they have to take a run up to even get over the test bed, look at how once they lose a bit of steering they can't regain control.

But hey, on the moon, with bumpier terrain, at higher speeds, and even in an unbalanced vehicle with only one astronaut on board they had no problems.

What a joke.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #358 on: March 28, 2013, 07:48:22 AM »
Anywho, why are you ignoring the questions put to you?

I don't think you believe the things you are saying.  You keep making handwaving "arguments" that show nothing, and launch insults to boot.  Clearly you neither know nor care about how the LRV worked, you just feel like being contrary.  Please, get a better hobby.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:51:09 AM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »

What a joke.

I would agree with if you can prove it. I would like to follow your workings out, that is me starting from scratch and learning something as I am new to this. At the moment my gut feeling still says your gut feeling is wrong.

So, over to you. My money is on you not proving it.

BTW How are the motor calculations coming on?

You said

Power:

The rovers would appear to be massively underpowered, they have 4 x 1/4hp motors giving a grand total of 1hp to drive a 1,500lb vehicle. One horsepower is low powered even for a mobility scooter, imagine putting seven big blokes on a low powered mobility scooter and seeing what performance you get out of it, yet on the moon they hooned around no problems at all.

Your first post. I started to look at this but held back waiting for input from you. Looks interesting.