Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864021 times)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1470 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
The CSM disconnected from the third stage and the Lunar Module, LM, stored there, rotated or flipped 180° and then connected to the top of the LM! Quite impressive! Imagine doing this at 11 200 m/s speed.

One wonders what goes through his mind when he tries to pass another car on the highway. Or when he tries to put a spoon in his mouth. "My hand is traveling at 200 kilometers per seconds! I'll never make it!"

Three minutes later the launch escape three motors system on top the CM was jettisoned ... one way or another. Why it was fitted in the first place is not clear.

Damn those crafty bastards who name things for their function!

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1471 on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Actually, I'm beginning to not want to trust him around boats, either.

Anyone who thinks a ship or boat goes in the direction the bow is pointed has NO business getting anywhere near a dock, quay, or within the buoys of a marina.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1472 on: April 19, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
Actually, I'm beginning to not want to trust him around boats, either.

Nor should you.  Bjorkman is not looked upon by ship-handlers either as anything but a buffoon.

Anyone who thinks a ship or boat goes in the direction the bow is pointed has NO business getting anywhere near a dock, quay, or within the buoys of a marina.
]

Agreed; my brother-in-law is a Navy quartermaster (Perry-class frigates) and has shown me some absolutely astounding feats of ship-handling using only rudders and engine commands.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1473 on: April 19, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
Twin screwed ships can run their engines in opposite directions and rotate around without moving forward or aft. It's called casting.

The old-timey aircraft carriers would chock and chain their aircraft along the flight deck edges, fore and aft, port and starboard, pointing outboard, and by revving their engines in various combinations could rotate and translate the carrier in the desired direction.

Jay, which Perry-class is your BIL on? I served on the Wadsworth AKA The Mighty Wad.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1474 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
USS Rentz (FFG-46) home-ported in San Diego.  We arranged with his captain to award him his ensign stripe as a surprise as part of the wedding ceremony.  Then we made the mistake of trying to out-drink Marines.

[ETA pic:  He's the one on the left.]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:36:07 PM by JayUtah »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1475 on: April 19, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Twin screwed ships can run their engines in opposite directions and rotate around without moving forward or aft. It's called casting.

Yep, and when you add rudder hardovers at the right time, you can accomplish a great deal of maneuverability.  For someone presenting himself as a maritime engineer not to know and respect this is beyond incompetent and/or dishonest.

The old-timey aircraft carriers would chock and chain their aircraft along the flight deck edges, fore and aft, port and starboard, pointing outboard, and by revving their engines in various combinations could rotate and translate the carrier in the desired direction.

And this is still a desired skill even in the age of Azipods and bow thrusters.  I had a Navy coxswain show me some pretty nifty small-boat maneuvers, although I haven't practiced them in ages.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1476 on: April 19, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
Good points.  I was particularly amused by Rhine ferries -- where the facing of the boat is practically an arbitrary matter.  They'd spin around like a top mid-river, and powered in and out tangential to the dock; no parallel parking for these guys.

But even the tiny sailboats that were all I've ever operated personally...many years ago...will quite vigorously continue on their heading regardless of what you happen to be doing with the rudder, which way the boat is facing, or even what is happening with the sails.  It is quite sweaty work, let me tell you, getting yourself into a slip in a crowded marina -- around some very expensive boats -- when all you have is a sail and the rest is up to inertia.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1477 on: April 19, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
Yep, and when you add rudder hardovers at the right time, you can accomplish a great deal of maneuverability.  For someone presenting himself as a maritime engineer not to know and respect this is beyond incompetent and/or dishonest.

Would it be an exaggeration to say that the impressiveness of his "maritime engineer" claim is just about on a par with Hunchbacked/InquisitiveMind's claim of being an "aeronautical engineer"?
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1478 on: April 19, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
Bjorkman has a legitimate education credential and a verifiable work history in the relevant field, up to a certain point.  I don't know that Hunchbacked has any of that.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1479 on: April 20, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
Bjorkman has a legitimate education credential and a verifiable work history in the relevant field, up to a certain point.  I don't know that Hunchbacked has any of that.

Back in 2011 he published what he claims to be his diploma from École Nationale Supérieure de Mécanique et d'Aérotechnique, as "d'Ingenieur, Option Avionique".

His name was redacted, but he sent a copy to Vincent, who knows his name, and Vincent verified that was the name on the diploma. (I know it too, but as he chooses to withhold it, I'll respect his decision) It could be fake, of course, but FWIW.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1480 on: April 22, 2013, 08:35:56 AM »

I would expect someone from Sweden to know that even Cars may move in a different direction...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=car+drift+snow&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=car+drift+snow&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#x0y1236

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #1481 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »
Oh, heck, I know from personal experience a car may end up moving in a completely opposite direction from the way the nose is pointing. And don't tell me Heiwa in Sweden has no experience with black ice!

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #1482 on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
Oh, heck, I know from personal experience a car may end up moving in a completely opposite direction from the way the nose is pointing. And don't tell me Heiwa in Sweden has no experience with black ice!
You would think that, but if his skill and knowledge of driving is anything like his apparent engineering knowledge, I have to wonder if he even has a driver's license.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #1483 on: April 23, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »
Without putting him in a car to find out, living in a country is no real proof of ability if humans in general is anything to go by.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1484 on: April 23, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »
True.  It's amazing how many people around here don't seem to know how to drive in the rain, for example.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates