Author Topic: Recent Claim by Musk concerning hot 2nd stage start  (Read 19809 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Recent Claim by Musk concerning hot 2nd stage start
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2024, 11:55:34 PM »
Here is an interesting video - an interview of Elon Musk by Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut YT channel) at Starbase on a tour of the facility.

This was all filmed before Test Flight 4 and Musk talks about the issues with heat shielding and some of the measures they have been planning, specifically around the flaps and their hinge points, so its clear they did have some concerns about that before the flight.   

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2024, 09:20:21 AM »
Well they should, any moving parts by necessity leaves gaps however small they may be.  Gaps lead to plasma moving through those gaps as we viewed on the video of the reentry of Starship.  As stated earlier it was amazing to me that they still functioned after all that and oriented the vehicle vertical so the engines could light.  Not a perfect "landing", but progress.
Now they need to design the booster engines so that atmospheric drag doesn't tear them apart and they should have a catch by the tower. 
I found that the second tower at Boca will be taller than the first allowing stacking/catching the newer version which is taller.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2024, 03:25:01 PM »
I wonder if looking at how they armoured knee joints in plate armour might help. Both have the goals of coverage while maintaining flexibility.  Middle Ages and Renaissance armours didn't have to contend with thousands of degree plasma, mind you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 03:34:55 PM by raven »