Author Topic: Apollo vs Gemini suits  (Read 10863 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Apollo vs Gemini suits
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 11:57:09 PM »
The Voskhod 2 EVA suit was also oxygen cooled. It didn't work so good. Leonov was apparently up to his knees in sweat by the end.
From the video of Apollo 8, Tom Stafford tells the story of Gene Cernan having over 10 lbs. of water in his boots when they examined him after splashdown.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
I watched a television program the other evening that covered some of the Gemini IX flight, and saw Stafford talking about how Cernan had serious difficulties with overheating and perspiration during his EVA to the point that he weighed some 14 pounds less post-flight than he did before launch. That's some serious sweat.

I think I've read somewhere that the problems with air-cooled suits causing perspiration, causing fogging of the visor, causing reduced visibility, added to the stress of fighting the suit not being flexible enough causing perspiration, causing fogging, etc. were the prime reason why the water-cooling garment was developed in the first place.

Of course, at my age, the memory is the second thing to go....

What were we talking about?  ::)
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
From the video of Apollo 8, Tom Stafford tells the story of Gene Cernan having over 10 lbs. of water in his boots when they examined him after splashdown.

I would imagine that in microgravity, drowning in one's own sweat is a very real and unattractive possibility.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 06:23:35 AM »
I watched a television program the other evening that covered some of the Gemini IX flight, and saw Stafford talking about how Cernan had serious difficulties with overheating and perspiration during his EVA to the point that he weighed some 14 pounds less post-flight than he did before launch. That's some serious sweat.

I think I've read somewhere that the problems with air-cooled suits causing perspiration, causing fogging of the visor, causing reduced visibility, added to the stress of fighting the suit not being flexible enough causing perspiration, causing fogging, etc. were the prime reason why the water-cooling garment was developed in the first place.

That's the video I was referring, also when Cernan took his helmet off, Stafford described his very red face, like he had been in a sauna far too long.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 08:50:22 AM »

That's the video I was referring, also when Cernan took his helmet off, Stafford described his very red face, like he had been in a sauna far too long.

Yes, that's the one. It simply amazed me to hear that on many of those Gemini flights, the EVA guys came so close to major problems. Buzz really saved the entire thing with hand and footholds, and the underwater training. I found the description in the 1994 program "Moonshot" to be amusing.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »
...all very good, but has anyone got video or data to prove that the sublimator on the PLSS worked.   :P
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
...all very good, but has anyone got video or data to prove that the sublimator on the PLSS worked.   :P
Especially with astronaut in a vacuum chamber!! ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
Nobody can know anything about everything.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
The Voskhod 2 EVA suit was also oxygen cooled. It didn't work so good. Leonov was apparently up to his knees in sweat by the end.

How did it get into his boots? Sweat in microgravity spreads through surface tension, it doesn't settle.

Ten pounds is 4.54 litres of water, which is a lot, 1.5 litres was enough to put Parmitano in danger of drowning, though that was all in his helmet of course. whereas the 4.54 litres would be spread over the entire body, minius whatever portion evaporated.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
How did it get into his boots? Sweat in microgravity spreads through surface tension, it doesn't settle.

Local acceleration after splashdown is about 10 m/s2.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 02:33:16 AM »

So he didn't know about it until after he landed?  Other than feeling very wet?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:07 AM »

So he didn't know about it until after he landed?  Other than feeling very wet?
Probably not, because of the zero G distributing the sweat all over the suit.
Eugene Cernan

Online Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 08:41:32 AM »
That can't all be sweat. If he lost that amount of fluid, he'd be severly dehydrated - must be a leak from the LCG.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
He wasn't wearing a liquid cooled garment, and he weighed 10 pounds less than he did pre-flight. He was severly dehydrated. Apparently his heart rate was through the roof.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:23:30 AM by DD Brock »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
My memory is not as good as it used to be, the amount was really 1.5 pounds of water in each boot.  But his post flight weight was down 13.5 pounds.
http://www.doctorzebra.com/drz/s_medhx.html
Eugene Cernan