Author Topic: Colour TV Transmission Question  (Read 10761 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Colour TV Transmission Question
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:03:37 AM »
All right, I have a bit of a question. I know that after Apollo 11 ,but before the J-class missions, they set up an S-band antenna on the lunar surface to transmit the colour TV signals. However, how did they transmit those missions first steps than in colour?
I know I am missing something, but what?
Moreover, they didn't use such an antenna on the J-class missions but used the antenna on the rover I believe. But what of the video from before the rover was deployed, how was it transmitted?
I am sure there is an answer, but I don't know it, so I want to know what it is.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:05:22 AM by raven »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Colour TV Transmission Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:06:19 AM »
All right, I have a bit of a question. I know that after Apollo 11 ,but before the J-class missions, they set up an S-band antenna on the lunar surface to transmit the colour TV signals. However, how did they transmit those missions first steps than in colour?
I know I am missing something, but what?
Moreover, they didn't use such an antenna on the J-class missions but used the antenna on the rover I believe. But what of the video from before the rover was deployed, how was it transmitted?
I am sure there is an answer, but I don't know it, so I want to know what it is.

The first step wasn't in colour and it was a pretty crappy quality.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:23:45 AM »
Looks like colour to me, especially on the first.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »
You're right, Apollos 12 and 14 deployed a "parasol" S-band antenna. Until it was set up, they used the smaller steerable S-band dish on the LM to send TV.

Apollo 15 also used the steerable until the rover was set up, the LCRU (Lunar Communications Relay Unit) was turned on and the camera moved from the LM to the rover. That's how we saw the rover being deployed.

A restraining pin on Apollo 16's steerable S-band antenna failed to release so there was no TV (and very scratchy audio through the omni antennas) until the rover was set up.

I forget whether Apollo 17 had video during the crew's initial descent to the surface.

The LM S-band transmitter had a 4-position antenna switch: Forward Omni, Aft Omni, Steerable, external (parasol). It could transmit either mode (PM/FM, with FM used for video) on any of the antennas and it would work if the link budget was adequate.

Apollo 11 also carried the parasol antenna but because of the short (2 hr) EVA they didn't want to spend time setting it up unless the TV picture quality through the steerable antenna was unacceptable. To give themselves the best chances for success, they arranged for the 64m Parkes radiotelescope in NSW Australia to receive TV, as famously (and not exactly accurately) depicted in the movie "The Dish". And of course it worked.

So the parasol antenna was actually not essential for TV. It really had two other purposes: to provide some extra margin if a large ground antenna were not available for some reason, and to let the LM conserve battery power by turning off its S-band power amplifier and running "barefoot" as we hams put it. This was the real reason it was used on Apollos 12 and 14; battery power was much more important given their longer stays, and of course they had the extra time needed during the EVAs to erect it.

The parasol antenna was almost not worth it. Its cable was so long, and the operating frequency so high, that (from memory) only 1/8 of the transmitter's power actually made it to the antenna; 7/8 was wasted as heat. I.e., the loss was 9 dB. In those days there was no choice because the S-band amplifier was too big to mount on the antenna. Today we could easily do that, and also operate on a much higher frequency band that could carry much more data with the same power. Or we could use an optical link as was recently demonstrated from the moon on the LADEE mission. Imagine the kind of TV coverage we could have now from a human lunar mission...

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »

It's not. But it's tough to tell given how colourless the Moon is.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »

It's not. But it's tough to tell given how colourless the Moon is.

Apollo 12 and 14 were definitely colour throughout, even before the big parasol antenna was put up. You can clearly see the gold of the LM legs in that video, and the red stripes on Shepard's suit.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
The key was the camera. The camera itself was black and white, but the ones from Apollo 12 onwards had a filter wheel that rotated frames through the primary colours. On the ground, three frames were combined to produce colour.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
Dwight's really the go-to guy for this one, but I think that, as a result from data gathered on AS-11, they found that the steerable would handle enough bandwidth for color.

Pete Conrad's "Whopee!" was in color.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
The Apollo color camera used no more bandwidth than ordinary black-and-white broadcast TV, because that's what they used: an ordinary NTSC black-and-white camera. Color was provided by spinning a color wheel in front of the camera so that each successive field (1/60 sec) was in a separate color. The scheme was called field-sequential color.

The Apollo 11 lunar surface camera wasn't just black and white, it was also slow-scan at only 10 frames/sec and with fewer lines per frame.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. :)
Always neat to learn something new.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »
One point regardsing possible color on the lunar surface for Apollo 11 was recounted in "Live TV From the Moon" (p. 131)

"A  contingency  plan  submitted  by Westinghouse  contained  a  proposal  and study  to  modify  and  adapt  the  slow  scan black-and-white lunar TV camera to provide a color image. It consisted of a mechanical device placed over the TV camera lens it which was basically an external version of the color wheel in the color Westinghouse cameras.  A  reference  black  segment was  incorporated  on  the  wheel  to  allow calibration  as  the  sequence  started.  Three quadrants of the primary colors red, green and  blue  were  automatically  moved  into position  when  the  starter  sequence  was started  by  the  astronaut.  The  filters  were moved by way of a spring loaded rotating wheel mechanism. Each filter would rotate into position resulting in a sequential color signal  being  sent  via  the  slow  scan  TV camera to Earth. The movement and dwell time of each filter was 4.8 seconds with the end color, blue being the one the mechanism rested  on  until  the  rotation  sequence  was started again.

This  color  sequence  would  be reconstituted on the ground via a Polaroid camera  with  a  color  filter  placed  over  its lens. A  decoder  system  was  put  in  place to match the ground color wheel with the
appropriate  incoming  color.  The  three color  frames  would  then  be  exposed  on top of one another in the Polaroid camera with the resulting photograph being a full colour  image!  This  mechanical  system was  devised  as  a  back  up  to  the  color film  cameras  in  case  of  malfunction,  or in a worst case scenario, if the astronauts became stranded on the moon, they could at least return immediate color images of the surface features. Despite having a weight of only 1.5 pounds, the idea was never adopted by NASA."

A pity that was never incorporated in the mission plan to at least send immediate color images back to an eager viewing public. Regarding plans for color TV on the lunar surface, this is from pages 161 to 162:

"The  mission  of Apollo  12,  although being the second lunar landing, was also one  that  contained  a  number  of  “firsts”. Building  upon  the  achievements  of Apollo  11,  the  mission  was  to  attempt a  more  scientific  assignment,  aided  by the  pinpoint  landing  at  Surveyor  crater, the  site  where  the  unmanned  Surveyor III  probe  had  landed  in  1967.  Realising the  potential  for  generating  huge  public interest  in  the  moonwalks,  a  color  TV camera  became  one  of  the  new  things to  appear  on  the  mission  plans.  George Low in a June 26 memo to Sam Phillips announced that there was hurried research into  the  feasibility  of  implementing  a color  television  camera  into  the  lunar surface items for the Apollo 12 landing. He  mentioned  that  even  from  a  color camera,  the  black-and-white  image  was notably  of  better  quality.  He  cautioned however,  that  at  such  a  late  date,  “…it  would  be  best  not  to  plan  on  using this  system  for  a  September  Apollo  12 flight.”  However,  if  the  flight  moved to  a  November  launch  date,  the  camera was  ready  to  fly.  With  two  lunar  EVAs planned,  the  use  of  a  color  TV  camera was a bold step in showing the world just how the surface of the moon looked, live and in color.

A  series  of  tests  were  performed  on October  19,  1969  to  evaluate  whether the  LM  communication  could  handle the  color  signal  without  any  hindrance to its communications system. The tests were  carried  out  via  the  Merritt  Island Facility  and  relayed  to  the  Manned Spaceflight  Center  in  Houston  where appraisal was made of the S-Band signal in  its  lunar  surface  EVA  configuration. The  conclusion  was  not  optimistic  for the  color  TV  camera.  Despite  revealing no  adverse  effects  on  the  entire  data package  contained  in  the  transmitted S-Band signal, there was notable picture
disturbance  caused  internally  by  the camera.  A  pattern  of  horizontal  lines which  were  a  by-product  of  the  color wheel motor and the 100 foot long video cable, which would be connected to the camera as it was activated for the first time, were  evident  on  the  images,  rendering the quality completely unacceptable. The recommendation was made for a series of filters to minimize the annoying lines, and to  assist  in  better  overall  signal  quality. With  the  possibility  of  not  having  color television beamed from the lunar surface, urgent modifications were recommended to the TV camera to eliminate the problem
of  the  horizontal  line  interference  as quickly as possible."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:47:50 PM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:33 AM »
I sure wish we could go back to the moon with modern cameras and digital communications...

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
Don't you mean Area 51? Oh. Wait...

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Cool! I wonder if it would have used the low frame rate but high res mode for the Apollo 11 colour slide show?

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
Yep that is exactly what it was intended for. It could have worked in the 320 line mode as well, but was predominantly for backup in case the color hassleblads failed.