Author Topic: Johnson Space Center in-house newspaper  (Read 12978 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Johnson Space Center in-house newspaper
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
Probably in the tv-series "Moon Machines - The spacesuit". The incident is shown there.

Beat me to it Allan. When reading the OP I recall an incident that was described in Moon Machines that definitely points to vacuum tests.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Yeah, there's some nut on youtube  demanding a vacuum chamber demo of the suit because he finds it hard to believe the ice sublimation system works the way it's described.

The ice sublimation system exploits the vacuum (as we know). Ralph Rene did not understand this, and neither did Blunder Wonder when he parroted Ralph.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
Yeah, there's some nut on youtube  demanding a vacuum chamber demo of the suit because he finds it hard to believe the ice sublimation system works the way it's described.

The ice sublimation system exploits the vacuum (as we know). Ralph Rene did not understand this, and neither did Blunder Wonder when he parroted Ralph.

The classic logical fallacies of argument from disbelief (I find it difficult to understand, therefore it is not true) and argument from self belief (it it were true, then I would know about it. I don't know about it, therefore it must be false).
I can't imagine how a person could have an ego so large that it would stop them from learning new things.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »

The classic logical fallacies of argument from disbelief (I find it difficult to understand, therefore it is not true) and argument from self belief (it it were true, then I would know about it. I don't know about it, therefore it must be false).
I can't imagine how a person could have an ego so large that it would stop them from learning new things.

Followed rapidly by "I have questioned it, therefore it is questionable.."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »

Did Rene understand anything?  From what I have read and viewed it wasn't much in the way of engineering/science for sure.  I can remember his rubber glove in the vacuum chamber.  To a casual observer it looked plausible, but when you think about the 14.6 psi difference versus the 3.8 psi usage, it all falls apart as most(all?) of Rene's thoughts.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
Besides, doesn't every EVA suit in use, from the NASA EMU to the Russian Orlan to the Chinese Feitian space suit, use sublimation cooling?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »
The Apollo astronauts did complain about tired hands, because the gloves were hard to flex.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
Did Rene understand anything?  From what I have read and viewed it wasn't much in the way of engineering/science for sure.  I can remember his rubber glove in the vacuum chamber.  To a casual observer it looked plausible, but when you think about the 14.6 psi difference versus the 3.8 psi usage, it all falls apart as most(all?) of Rene's thoughts.
All Rene did was to convincingly demonstrate why NASA doesn't use local hardware store gloves in EVA suits.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
The Apollo astronauts did complain about tired hands, because the gloves were hard to flex.
Yes, especially A 17, but that was probably because the length of stay and work loads.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 02:13:38 AM »
Yes, especially A 17, but that was probably because the length of stay and work loads.

I think it was more to the design of the gloves and how inflexible they become when pressurised. After the frst EVA Cernan notes that his hands were rubbed raw.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 07:34:51 AM »
Yes, but I was thinking more of the total trauma, blisters blood under fingernails over the 3 EVA's
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 01:48:41 AM »
I wonder if spacesuits might want to take a cue from atmospheric diving suits and have the hands inside the spacesuit controlling basically short waldos.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 03:24:16 AM »
I wonder if spacesuits might want to take a cue from atmospheric diving suits and have the hands inside the spacesuit controlling basically short waldos.

You're getting into a lot of complexity, I would have thought. Plus, the power requirements of the suit would go up a lot.

Gloves still represent a big problem as far as I can see:
http://www.space.com/9217-spacesuit-gloves-astronauts-fingernails-fall.html
In 2007, NASA awarded $200K to Pete Homer, winner of their Astronaut Glove Challenge:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11794-new-spacesuit-glove-beats-nasas-hands-down/

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Atmospheric diving suits have the much bigger challenge since the pressure differences across them can be huge. Spacesuits only need withstand about 260 mb or so, and much simpler solutions are feasible (though not necessarily easy).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
Atmospheric diving suits have the much bigger challenge since the pressure differences across them can be huge. Spacesuits only need withstand about 260 mb or so, and much simpler solutions are feasible (though not necessarily easy).
I've gone brain challenged, what does 260 mb mean?
Eugene Cernan