Author Topic: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module  (Read 50374 times)

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
Re: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
Sadly, it's entirely possible that 3/4 of what he was told about space in school was wrong, with no conspiracy needed - just a poor science curriculum.

He said 75% of what he learned.  It's possible that that was different than what he was told.

I can think of quite a few occasions, both in classroom and in independent research settings, when students have "learned" some quite remarkable things!
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline DAKDAK

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:57 AM »
SpaceyChick has photos of all the manned capsule plus some.
I've only seen three of them - 11, 15 and 16.

DAKDAK, here's another quick check you can do to demonstrate that 210 ft3 is not the total volume.  The cube root of 210 is 5.94.  Therefore, 210 ft3 is the volume occupied by a cube that is roughly 6' X 6' X 6'.  When you look at the photos linked to above, the CM is clearly quite a bit larger than a cube with those dimensions.

Here is a clip of Aaron Cohen who supposedly was the Manager of the Command module for NASA at the time stating that the CM was about a 6X6X6 CUBE since you don't believe the Smithsonian that currently has possesion of the CM maybe the boss of the design team might help

[Post restored by LunarOrbit]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:08:55 PM by LunarOrbit »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »

DAKDAK, here's another quick check you can do to demonstrate that 210 ft3 is not the total volume.  The cube root of 210 is 5.94.  Therefore, 210 ft3 is the volume occupied by a cube that is roughly 6' X 6' X 6'.  When you look at the photos linked to above, the CM is clearly quite a bit larger than a cube with those dimensions.

Here is a clip of Aaron Cohen who supposedly was the Manager of the Command module for NASA at the time stating that the CM was about a 6X6X6 CUBE since you don't believe the Smithsonian that currently has possesion of the CM maybe the boss of the design team might help

"it's about a 6 x 6 x 6 cube. That's what you're living in."

"living in". Do you not understand what that means? "living in". As in that is the habitable volume.

How much longer are you going to keep up this idiotic bullshit?

Does this look the same size as a 6' x 6' x 6' cube?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
Welcome back, DAKDAK. It's not that we disagree with the Smithsonian, or Mr. Cohen, but rather we disagree with you as to what is being measured.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »

He said you are living in the space of a 6 x 6 x 6 cube. What is the volume of a 6 x 6 x 6 cube? 216 cubic feet. Pretty close to the 210 cubic feet given in every source as the habitable volume of the command module.

We are not disputing that the habitable volume is 210 cubic feet, but your interpretation that the entire volume was 210 cubic feet. Why is it you cannot grasp the very basic difference between them? You've had it explained to you in words and pictures several times over that the cabin, with a habitable volume of 210 cubic feet, was an internal structure that sat inside the overall conical structure. The volume taken up by the entire command module was on the order of 400 cubic feet; the volume taken up by the whole of the cabin structure was about 300 cubic feet; and the internal volume of the cabin structure, less the stowage and equipment spaces that could not be occupied by crewmen, was about 210 cubic feet. What is so difficult about this arrangement that you just won't get it through your head?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:01:19 AM by Jason Thompson »
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »

You've had it explained to you in words and pictures several times over that the cabin,

What is so difficult about this arrangement that you just won't get it through your head?

Maybe the words used contain too many syllables?

We might need to try finger-painting next.... :P ;)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »

First, don't try to play the name game with me; I used to work for Max Faget and C.C. Johnson.

Second, he did not say the CM itself was "about a 6X6X6 CUBE".

Finally, I have inspected Columbia personally at the Air & Space Museum.  It is not " about a 6X6X6 CUBE".

You are simply and unambiguously wrong.

DAKDAK, are you just trolling?  If not, please explain why you seem unable to concede such a simple error?   And when are you going to give an account for the numerous other mistakes you have made which have been corrected here?  Such as your laughable claim that the Moon "fills up" with water from the Earth?

And, again, are you just trolling?

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
There's something incredibly pathetic about a man who whines about other people being too educated when he can't figure out of the volume of a cone.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »

DAKDAK, can you be anymore obtuse?  The man in the video says the exact same thing that I did, that is, the living space of the CM is equivalent to a 6X6X6 cube.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »
Here is a clip of Aaron Cohen who supposedly was the Manager of the Command module...

I agree; don't drop names.  I was taught my trade by the people who worked on this spacecraft.  We're closer to the original sources than you.

...stating that the CM was about a 6X6X6 CUBE

He states the volume of the crew compartment was this value.  You seem unable to distinguish habitable volume from total volume even after it has been explained to you in half a dozen different ways.  At one point you praised the skill and credentials of the people here.  Now would be a good time for you to admit that you simply don't have the math and geometry background to understand what's going on.

since you don't believe the Smithsonian that currently has possesion of the CM...

First, there is more than one CM.  In fact, the NASM possesses more than one CM.

Second, no one is disputing the Smithsonian's claim.  We are disputing your interpretation of what that cited number means.  You are patently incapable of understanding the difference, and that's the problem -- not some farfetched claim that the CM was somehow too small.

maybe the boss of the design team might help

Maybe you shouldn't have resigned from your education.  It should be obvious to you now why you needed it.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 12:59:27 AM »
Do any of the regulars here have a degree or any kind of training in psychology? How about a student of psychology looking for a dissertation topic? I think someone could earn a well-deserved PhD and make a real contribution to science by making a methodical and comprehensive study of the conspiracy mindset.

I've been following conspiracy theories long enough to see many of the same concepts (and many of the same people) appear over and over. I fear that Apollo deniers and 9/11 "truthers" are merely the more extreme manifestations of a much more widespread problem. Rational public policy in a democratic society requires a well-informed and well-educated electorate, so this phenomenon threatens some very real consequences.

The increasing popularity of conspiracy beliefs is probably due to a combination of things: a failing school system; ready access via the Internet to large audiences of like-minded individuals; a series of bona-fide scandals and conspiracies such as the Vietnam War, Watergate, Iran-Contra and the Iraq invasion that has led to widespread distrust of government institutions; economic pressures; news media, politicians and businesses who exploit all these things for their own purposes; and so on. We could really use a serious, careful analysis.

Offline DAKDAK

• Venus
  • BANNED
R
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »
[
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:42:51 AM by DAKDAK »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »
This picture of the APOLLO 11 command Module with Spacey chick does appear to be 6x6x6 dont you think??

You're looking at the outside volume.  The figures cited are for the habitable volume inside.  You don't seem to care that there is equipment contained in the hull of the CM that is not part of the habitable volume inside.

Further, 6x6x6 is a description of a cube.  Your cited authority used that conceptual cube as an example to visualize how much volume 210 cubic feet would be in familiar terms.  You're looking at a truncated cone in the photos, so the 6x6x6 foot dimensions are simply irrelevant to the visual shape of the command module.

I don't know how much simpler this can be made for you.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 02:53:45 AM »
Do any of the regulars here have a degree or any kind of training in psychology? How about a student of psychology looking for a dissertation topic? I think someone could earn a well-deserved PhD and make a real contribution to science by making a methodical and comprehensive study of the conspiracy mindset.

Well, I'm strictly amateur, but I think there's more than one conspiracy mindset.  I can see at least two distinct mental disorders at play aside from the people who are just kind of dumb.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates