Author Topic: Apollo and Stars  (Read 50082 times)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Re: Apollo and Stars
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:44 PM »
Most sources point to Sagan's Contact as the source.  However, this link, http://justadandak.com/we-should-have-sent-a-poet-not-a-pilot/ , attributes it to Sergei Korolev after Gargarin tried to describe his flight.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:15 PM »
Most sources point to Sagan's Contact as the source.  However, this link, http://justadandak.com/we-should-have-sent-a-poet-not-a-pilot/ , attributes it to Sergei Korolev after Gargarin tried to describe his flight.
He sure guided the Russian space program and attempted to duplicate Apollo, but lack of resources and a mismanaged economy doomed the project.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »
Not to mention a late start, a competing design, and dying during an appendectomy.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Not to mention a late start, a competing design, and dying during an appendectomy.

Fred
I don't think they had a late start, but all of the rest, yes.  And he had to keep Khrushchev happy with firsts that diverted work from being conducted in a systematic way.
I found this program concerning the N-1 very good.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
It's really too bad. I would love to have both the US and USSR land on the moon. It's maybe possible it would have driven both nations to continue BEO efforts, though it's doubtful it would have driven them to Mars, as much as one might hope it.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »
I have the full Press conference along with the transcript which includes images of the slides they were referring to (as does everyone here I assume as unlike a certain persons 'super secret film of Earth from Apollo' they are easily available. It just struck me that I thought he was making a joke.

Editing to add. Sorry Kiwi, having gone back and checked. Those are exactly the pages I am referring to above. Please put it down to new poster blues.

That's okay. I screwed up too when I repeated what I'd heard from someone else about when the crew photographed the solar corona -- in lunar orbit. Have now checked my version of all three voice transcripts amalgamated, and it wasn't during lunar orbit. It was while approaching the moon and between about 11,232 and 9,761 nautical miles away. Between Ground Elapsed Times 71:34:00 and 72:00:00.

Here's everything from the transcripts:--

71:31:xx   PAO: This is Apollo Control at 71 hours, 31 minutes. Apollo 11's distance from the moon now 11,232 nautical miles approaching at a velocity of 4,141 feet per second.
71:33:08   Aldrin: Houston. Apollo 11.
71:33:12   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. Go ahead. Over.
71:33:25   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. Go ahead. Over.
71:33:40   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. Go ahead. Over.
71:33:47   Armstrong: Houston, do you read Apollo 11?
71:33:49   Capcom: Roger, 11. We're reading you loud and clear now. We were down in the noise as we switched antennas a minute or so ago. Over.
71:34:00   Collins: Roger. What sort of settings could you recommend for the solar corona? We've got the Sun right behind the edge of the Moon now.
71:34:12   Capcom: Roger.
71:34:16   Aldrin: It's quite an eerie sight. There is a very marked three-dimensional aspect of having the Sun's corona coming from behind the Moon the way it is.
71:34:27   Capcom: Roger.
71:34:31   Aldrin: And it looks as though - I guess what's giving it that three-dimensional effect is the earthshine. I can see Tycho fairly clearly - at least if I'm right side-up, I believe it's Tycho, in moonshine - I mean, in earthshine. And, of course, I can see the sky is lit all the way around the Moon, even on the limb of it where there's no earthshine or sunshine.
71:35:40   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. Over.
71:35:45   Aldrin: Go ahead.
71:35:47   Capcom: Roger. If you'd like to take some pictures, we recommend using magazine Uniform which is loaded with high speed black and white film, interior lights off, electric Hasselblad with the 80-millimeter lens. And you're going to have to hand-hold it, I guess. We're recommending an f-stop of 2.8, and we'd like to get a sequence of time exposures. Over.
71:36:24   Aldrin: Okay. You want magazine Uniform instead of magazine Tango ? Over.
71:36:30   Capcom: Roger. We're not trying to get you all wrapped up in a procedure here. This is on a not-to-interfere basis, of course. Over.
71:36:43   Aldrin: Okay.
71:36:46   Capcom: And on the exposures we're looking for an eighth of a second, a half a second. And, if you think you can steady the camera against anything to get longer exposures, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, and 8 seconds. Over.
71:37:11   Aldrin: Roger. We copy.
71:37:13   Capcom: Roger. Out.
71:39:15   Capcom: Apollo 11, Houston. Over.
71:39:23   Collins: Go ahead, Houston.
71:39:25   Capcom: Roger. We'd like to do a little Cryo tank balancing. So, if you could position the oxygen tank number 1 heater switch to Off and hydrogen tank 2 heater switch to Off leaving all the rest of the Cryo switches the same, we'll let it run that way for a few hours. Over.
71:39:48   Collins: Okay. Stand by one on those switches. We'll get them in a minute.
71:39:51   Capcom: Roger. And how far out can you see the corona extending? Over.
71:40:13   Armstrong: ... bit like zodiacal light. It keeps going out farther and farther. We'll talk about it a little more later.
71:40:31   Capcom: Roger. Out.
71:43:11   Armstrong: ... We've got quite a few pictures ...
71:44:06   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. I think we have Comm again. We heard you calling. Over.
71:44:27   Capcom: Apollo 11, this is Houston. Were you calling? Over.
71:44:48   Collins: Houston, Apollo 11. Understand you want the heaters Off for hydrogen tank 1 and oxygen tank 1. Is that affirmative ?
71:44:56   Capcom: That's negative, Mike. Hydrogen tank number 2 heaters Off and oxygen tank number 1 heaters Off.
71:45:05   Collins: Okay.
71:45:07   Capcom: Roger. Out.
71:45:12   Collins: I have hydrogen tank number 2 heaters Off; I have oxygen tank number 1 heaters Off.
71:45:18   Capcom: Roger. Out.
71:52:15   Collins: Houston. Apollo 11. The earthshine coming through the window is so bright you can read a book by it.
71:52:24   Capcom: Oh, very good.
71:52:xx   PAO: That was Mike Collins reporting.
71:56:00   Armstrong: And, Houston, I'd suggest that along the ecliptic line we can see the corona light out to two lunar diameters from this location. The bright light only extends out about an eighth to a quarter of the lunar radius.
71:56:35   Capcom: Roger. Understand that you can see the corona approximately 200 solar diameters out along the ecliptic, and the bright light extends out approximately one-eighth to one-quarter lunar radius. Over.
71:56:52   Armstrong: That's two lunar - two lunar diameters along the ecliptic in the bright part, right; a quarter to an eighth of a lunar radius out, and that's perpendicular to the ecliptic line on the South Pole.
71:57:07   Capcom: Roger.
71:57:xx   PAO: That last transmission was from Neil Armstrong.
71:59:20   Armstrong: Houston, it's been a real change for us. Now we are able to see stars again and recognize constellations for the first time on the trip. It's - the sky is full of stars. Just like the nightside of Earth. But all the way here, we have only been able to see stars occasionally and perhaps through the monocular, but not recognize any star patterns.
71:59:52   Capcom: I guess it has turned into night up there really, hasn't it ?
71:59:58   Armstrong: Really has.
72:04:57   Capcom: 11, this is Houston. Go ahead. Over.
72:07:xx   PAO: This is Apollo Control at 72 hours, 7 minutes. Apollo 11 is 9,761 nautical miles from the moon, velocity 4,217 feet per second. Weight 9612 pounds.

Thanks to Apollo 13, I always cringe a little when I read talk about the cryo tanks and heaters.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
He sure guided the Russian space program and attempted to duplicate Apollo, but lack of resources and a mismanaged economy doomed the project.

About 10 years ago, there was a four or six part docu-drama that focused on Korolev and von Braun. Can't remember what it was called... maybe Rocket Race or something like that. I think it was recently re-run on the History Channel.

I was interesting to see the different approaches the Soviets and the American took to trying to solve the same problems within the constraints of their differing technologies, budgets and political climate.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline tarkus

• Venus
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
The interesting thing about that press conference was the body language of the atronautas, nervous and tense by the obligation they had to lie and invent.
Although one can not draw definitive conclusions from the words of Collins, is the Armstrong himself who says very clearly that the stars are not visible from space, he says in the interview textual happened to share "the Earth is the only visible objetct" (other than the sun).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdcdxvNI1o

Nor did they show any interest in photographing the Earth as only background object appears as a handful of images:

Astronaut flag and in the foreground, background little Earth.

astronaut again in the foreground, background little Earth.

LM foreground, background little Earth.

The strange behavior of astronauts, also showed greater interest in photographing the Earth from space, one assumes that it would take a picture to 50,000 km away, another 100,000 km, a halfway to the Moon (about 190,000 km ) with the Earth getting smaller, as the back, but no, there are only occasional image without more information accompanying.
I think the Three Stooges sent instead of the assumptions of intrigue heroes of Apollo...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »
The interesting thing about that press conference was the body language of the atronautas, nervous and tense by the obligation they had to lie and invent.

Old argument.  No, you're not an expert in "body language," and no, you aren't magically clairvoyant enough to know what, if anything, they might have been tense about.

Although one can not draw definitive conclusions from the words of Collins...

Yet you go on to do just that.

Nor did they show any interest in photographing the Earth...

For three reasons.  First, they were there to explore the Moon.  Second, it was almost directly overhead as seen from most of the landing sites.  And third, a Hasselblad with a wide-angle lens is close to the most useless thing for astronomical photography.

The strange behavior of astronauts...

No, you're just making up things you think they should have done and then calling it strange that they didn't.  Why do you think that's any sort of argument.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
and now you are an expert in body language? Try viewing this. it is the same  conference  taken in context
Although one can not draw definitive conclusions from the words of Collins, is the Armstrong himself who says very clearly that the stars are not visible from space, he says in the interview textual happened to share "the Earth is the only visible objetct" (other than the sun).

Nor did they show any interest in photographing the Earth as only background object appears as a handful of images:

Astronaut flag and in the foreground, background little Earth.

astronaut again in the foreground, background little Earth.

LM foreground, background little Earth.

The strange behavior of astronauts, also showed greater interest in photographing the Earth from space, one assumes that it would take a picture to 50,000 km away, another 100,000 km, a halfway to the Moon (about 190,000 km ) with the Earth getting smaller, as the back, but no, there are only occasional image without more information accompanying.
They did take images from many distances, you are too lazy to look them up
I think the Three Stooges sent instead of the assumptions of intrigue heroes of Apollo...

Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »

In your opinion, which is pretty much worthless because you know nothing.

That is not what he said. He does not say that stars are not visible from space. You made that up. He says he couldn't see them from the lunar surface. Please tell us under what circumstances you think stars should be visible from the lunar surface.

..snip photographs...

If they had taken hundreds of pictures of Earth (like the ones they took from cislunar space and from lunar orbit) would you be happy, or would you by whining about them not taking enough photos of the moon?

You are, as usual, spectacularly inaccurate. They took photos regularly and lots of them. Why don't you know that? Why do you persist in posting such ignorant drivel?

What you think is as irrelevant as it is uninformed.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »
Oh, tarkus. ::)
If you came a quarter million miles, would you be spending all your time taking snapshots of the place you just came from, or would you be focusing most of your efforts on documenting this place you came all that way, trained all those years for? Sure, some photos were appropriate, and they took them, but the moon was the focus.
They did take photos of stars, incidentally, most notably in the far ultraviolet with long exposures and a special camera on a tripod, allowing pictures in a wavelength absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, though they also took certain photos in lunar orbit using very sensitive film and longer than usual exposure.
This raises a question though, tarkus. The reason the stars are alleged to have been left out in Apollo photos according to conspiracy theorists is typically because they claim NASA could not do show stars in different locations convincingly. Ignoring the fact that planetariums do this all the time, the fact that certain Apollo photos do show stars raises the question of why, if they could do it in those photos, why not on the rest of Apollo imagery?

Offline tarkus

• Venus
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »

In your opinion, which is pretty much worthless because you know nothing.
you see them relaxed perhaps?

That is not what he said. He does not say that stars are not visible from space. You made that up. He says he couldn't see them from the lunar surface. Please tell us under what circumstances you think stars should be visible from the lunar surface.
No diference.
The reflected sunlight travels in straight lines. There is no atmosphere to scatter the sunlight, so when an astronaut (or camera) looks up at the stars, how could the reflected light from the lunar surface get into his eyes?

JW Bush can see the stars without any problem.

If they had taken hundreds of pictures of Earth (like the ones they took from cislunar space and from lunar orbit) would you be happy, or would you by whining about them not taking enough photos of the moon?
None of the astronauts photographed the Earth from the moon, as if observing the Earth from the moon was something daily, disinterest for photographing the Earth remains to this day, so NASA falsified pictures of the Earth, as this where the clouds have been cloned:

You are, as usual, spectacularly inaccurate. They took photos regularly and lots of them. Why don't you know that? Why do you persist in posting such ignorant drivel?
His offensive language and bad humor are not a response to consider.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 12:46:01 AM »
tarkus I linked a video that shows a much different aspect of the same news  conference.  Have a look.
Eugene Cernan