Author Topic: Neil Armstrong Talking About the Moon  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Neil Armstrong Talking About the Moon
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »
Site a reference to Armstrong pontificating about the moonlandings

Direct quotes by Neil Armstrong in "First on the Moon - A Voyage with Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin Jr", written with Gene Farmer and Dora Jane Hamblin, epilogue by Arthur C. Clark.  Michael Joseph Ltd, London (1970) – Hardcover.

Pages numbers are shown thus: <217 218>

For completeness, the following includes all of Armstrong's quotes in the book, which are enclosed by the marks << and >>

AS A BOY, NEIL ARMSTRONG HAD HAD A RECURRENT DREAM
19>
<< I could, by holding my breath, hover over the ground. Nothing much happened; I neither flew nor fell in those dreams. I just hovered. They can't have been bad dreams. But the indecisiveness was a little frustrating. There was never any end to the dream... >>

THE KOREAN WAR: SEVENTY-EIGHT COMBAT MISSIONS. HE WAS IN ONE OF THE EARLIEST ALL-JET SQUADRONS, AND HIS SQUADRON TOOK MORE CASUALTIES THAN NEIL ARMSTRONG LIKED TO REMEMBER...
19>
<<   I got three air medals. Apparently I caused a lot of damage to bridges and trains and things, but really they handed out medals there like gold stars at Sunday School. >>

BECOMING AN ASTRONAUT
19>
<< The X-15 experimenters were not basically in agreement with the Mercury approach. We weren't sure that was the right way to go; some of us felt a winged vehicle represented a better approach. Worse than that, perhaps,
<19 20>
we tended to think of the space task group people as babes in the woods. Then, in February 1962, John Glenn orbited the earth three times in a little less than five hours, and we began to look at things a bit differently.
   It was a hard decision for me to make, to leave what I was doing, which I liked very much, to go to Houston. You don't have to be in any particular program or wear a particular color of shirt to find research questions that need answering. It wasn't a question of do you want to be an astronaut or do you want to sweep streets. But by 1962 Mercury was on its way, the future programs were well designed and the lunar mission was going to become a reality. I decided that if I wanted to get out of the atmospheric fringes and into deep space work, that was the way to go. >>

PREPARING FOR APOLLO 11
77>
<< In our preparation we weren't concerned primarily about safety; it was a matter of mission success. The nation was depending on the NASA-industry team to do the job and the NASA-industry team was staking its reputation on Apollo 11.
   I knew about our crew assignment a couple of days before the news was announced in January 1969. It wasn't a shock, but it was very pleasant news to hear. It is true that most of the people available for flight status were already assigned to crews and were doing jobs from which they couldn't be removed. That left a limited number of us available for this mission, and I certainly had strong hopes that we would get it. Yet when we did get it, I suspected that it was highly unlikely that Apollo 11 would in the final analysis be the first lunar landing flight. The lunar module had not flown, and there were a lot of things about the lunar surface we didn’t know. We didn’t know if Mission Control could communicate with the lunar module and the command module simultaneously and successfully. Then, with the magnificent successes of Apollo 9 and Apollo 10, it became increasingly evident that we were in fact going to get a crack at the lunar landing. As this conclusion was unfolding, the preparations just became more and more relentless
<77 78>
— not just for the crew but for all the many people that were involved in the planning and execution of Apollo 11. >>

THE SATURN ROCKET
79>
<< It either does its job or not. And formerly there was very little you could do with the Saturn. You either rode it into orbit and it did its part, or you got off it and then you got somewhat less out of the mission. By the time we lifted off that was not necessarily true. You could not fly the earlier models from the spacecraft; had there been a failure on the Saturn's inertial system on Apollo 9, for example, McDivitt, Scott and Schweickart would have had to splash down into the Atlantic. Or maybe land in Africa, with a high risk of physical injury.
   For our flight we had added an alternate guidance system in the command module's gear so that if there were a failure of some kind on the Saturn we could switch to the alternate system and fly the rocket from the spacecraft. I never had much to do with booster development, but I was very interested in getting this guidance capability. In 1959 an engineer named Ed Holleman and I did a study that showed the feasibility of manually flying a large booster. We ran a large number of simulations at Edwards and at the Johnsville, Pennsylvania, centrifuge and confirmed that the effects of acceleration on the people who were doing the guiding task inside was not significant. They could fly, manually, the booster as you would fly an airplane, and fly it into orbit. I wanted that alternate guidance system in Apollo. It was ready for Apollo 10, and of course I was glad to have it in Apollo 11. >>

TRANS-LUNAR INJECTION
84>
<< We like TLI. It gives us an orbit and one-half around the earth, or two and one-half orbits if need be, to check the spacecraft, and check out a lot of other things. We don't need to take off for the moon until we are sure that everything is ready. If something is wrong on the spacecraft, we have that time to decide whether we should forget the whole thing and abort. We like it. It gives us another chance to hit a moving target. >>

PATCH AND CALL SIGN FOR APOLLO 11
107>
<< We were, all of us, interested in a number of small peripheral elements which go along with a flight. Things like the patch which we wear on our suits, and the names we select for in-flight communication between the two vehicles and between our vehicles and the ground. We were very conscious of the symbolism of our exploration, and we wanted the small things to reflect our very serious approach to the business of flying a lunar mission. The patch we designed was not intended to imitate the Great Seal of the United States; it was meant simply to symbolize a peaceful American attempt at a lunar landing. All of us in the crew particularly liked the idea of the olive branch [an idea first suggested by Thomas L. Wilson, a simulator engineer at the Houston MSC], and as time went on we began to attach more and more importance to its inclusion in the patch design.
   Then there was the matter of the call signs. We got millions of suggestions, and we chose ones which had some particular significance to us. The names had to have both dignity and symbolism, and of course clarity in radio transmissions. The name Eagle was adopted subsequent to the selection of the patch design and was intended both to reflect the theme of the patch and also a degree of national pride in the enterprise.
   I believed, I think we all believed, that a successful lunar landing could, might, inspire men around the world to believe that impossible goals were possible, that the hope for solutions to humanity's problems was not a joke. We were particularly pleased to deposit on the moon the medals that were struck in commemoration of Gagarin and Komarov, and we were pleased to
<107 108>
take with us some other symbols which I was not free to discuss for some months after the flight. We had with us, from the Wright estate, a piece of fabric from the wing of the first aircraft which ever flew, the Wright brothers' 1903 airplane, and a piece of its propeller. These things, these symbols if you will, will now go to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.
   We wanted all the little peripheral elements to be universal, to echo the thought on the metal plaque which we left on the moon, fastened to the descent stage of the lunar module: 'Here men from the planet earth first set foot upon the moon, July 1969, A.D. We came in peace for all mankind.' Mike, Buzz, and I all signed it, as did President Nixon, and we left it to be discovered in some future age by intelligent beings who come after us, whether from earth or elsewhere. None of us wanted our names on the patch. Adding them would have made it too crowded. So much for the department of aesthetics. More important than that, we were three individuals who had drawn, in a kind of lottery, a momentous opportunity and a momentous responsibility. >>

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:09:28 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Neil Armstrong Talking About the Moon
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
Continued...

BOYHOOD
112>
<< I'm afraid I did a great many ordinary things. I was a Boy Scout, although I didn't complete my Eagle requirements for a long time, about the time I had started going to Purdue. The small towns, the ones I grew up in, were slow to come out of the Depression. We were not deprived, but there was never a great deal of money around. On that score we had it no worse and no better than thousands of other families. Part of the pattern in those days was that kids got part-time jobs at an early age. I was a freshman in high school at Upper Sandusky when I worked for Neumeister's bakery. I made one hundred ten dozen doughnuts every night. I probably got the job because of my small size; I could crawl inside the mixing vats at night and clean them out. The other thing I remember about the place is that the most appreciated delicacy there was not cake or candy. The experienced bakers would take a loaf of bread, fresh and hot out of the oven, tear out the center and throw it away, put a whole quarter pound of butter inside the remaining crust and return it to the oven. The oven was always hot. After a few minutes, just enough time for the butter to melt and the crust to harden again, the loaf was excellent eating. >>

HIS PRIMARY INTEREST
113>
<< I think that interest goes back farther than I can remember. My father tells me about going out to the Cleveland airport when I was two years old to see the 1932 air races, so I must have been a staunch aviation fan before I was even conscious of it. It was my father, also, who took me for my first airplane ride. I was six years old and we flew in a Ford trimotor — the old 'tin goose' — which was carrying passengers at Warren, Ohio. We were supposed to be at church, I think, but we sneaked off and later my mother caught us, just because of the guilty, and probably excited, looks on our faces. By the time I was nine, I was building model airplanes. They had become, I suppose, almost an obsession with me. People talk a lot about the
<113 114>
Depression, about deprivation. They miss the point. People in the Depression — the parents, the children — lived with a lack of money. It wasn't an oppressive thing. You didn't think about it. It simply never occurred to you to be extravagant. I bought airplane models without engines because it never occurred to me to buy models with engines. I bought, and I built, rubber band-powered models. I didn't feel put upon, in any sense. I knew that was what I could afford, and I was very happy with it. Anyway, that was during the Second World War, so engines and gasoline were not available. Neither was balsa wood, so I used straw, paper, hardwood — anything I could find. Naturally I also read everything I could lay hands on concerning aviation — I still get a great deal of enjoyment out of the collected papers of the Wright brothers — and I filled notebooks with scraps of information about makes of aircraft, specifications, and performances.
   By the time I was fourteen, the family had moved to Wapakoneta and settled down. I got a job at the West End Market as a stock boy, then at Bowsher's hardware store, then at Rhine and Brading's pharmacy on Main Street. I don't think I ever got paid more than forty cents an hour on any of these jobs. At the pharmacy I swept out the place before school in the morning, then went back after school and on Saturdays — to stock the shelves, clerk, and try to make myself generally useful. When I had a day off, I went out to the local airport for flying lessons. There's another bit of apocrypha here. I am supposed to have ridden my bicycle three miles out there on what is still called 'the old brewery road.' Actually I hitchhiked. I didn't go down there very often, either, because at forty cents an hour it took some time to save nine dollars for a flying lesson. I was fifteen years old when I started doing that, going out first to meet Aubrey Knudegard, who gave me my first lessons in an Aeronca Champion. He also soloed me. Then Frank Lucie and Charlie Finkenbine taught me some of the finer points of flying. I got my student pilot's license on August 5, 1946, my sixteenth birthday. I was pretty skinny then — I probably looked twelve or fourteen. I don't suppose anybody would have rented me a secondhand automobile. I didn't have a driver's license, anyway. >>

NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON AERONAUTICS
116>
<<   In watching the airplane business I had noticed that the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics was doing some interesting things. I was out of the Navy now, and in January 1955 I was graduated from Purdue. I applied for a job at Edwards in California, but there were no openings. Then I got a call from the Lewis Laboratory in Cleveland. I worked there in a free-flight rocket group, and joined the pilot group. I can recall telling Abe Silverstein, then associate director at Lewis, that I thought space travel was going to become a reality and I thought I would like to have a part of it. In those days — 1955 — space travel was almost a dirty expression, but Edwards looked like the place to be. It was about this time that the X-15 was being contracted. Then there was an opening at Edwards and they asked me if I would like to come out. I thought about it all of fifteen seconds and agreed. >>

DOING WHAT HE REALLY WANTED TO DO
118>
<< As a research pilot, I was experiencing the most fascinating time of my life. I had the opportunity to fly almost every kind of high-performance airplane and at the same time do research in aerodynamics. I first flew the X-15 in 1960, and altogether I flew it seven times. I flew it to 207,000 feet, not a record. [As of 1969 the world record for altitude was 354,200 feet, set in the X-15 by the late Joe Walker. Walker was killed in 1966 when his Starfighter jet collided in midair with the experimental XB-70 and both planes crashed.]
   What was it like? That is a difficult thing to describe. You're very busy. The flight takes only about ten minutes and you want to get a lot of informa-
<118 119>
tion while you're up there. It has taken a lot of time and money to get you there. There's very little time for wondering, but above two hundred thousand feet you have essentially the same type of view that you have from a spacecraft when you are above the atmosphere. You can't help thinking, by George, this is the real thing. Fantastic. You can see the curvature of the earth. And from that mountain house where we lived, Jan could use her binoculars to see what was going on. She could see the X-15 drop away from the B-52 mother ship, and she could see the puffs of dust down in the valley as the X-15 landed. That was quite a house; when we first moved in we had cold water but no hot, and she used to bathe our son Eric in a plastic tub in the backyard, after the sun had heated the water. We worked on that plumbing, and on other refinements to the house, for almost six years; and then it was time to move to Houston.
   Meanwhile, at Edwards we had been able to cover a lot of experimental work. I worked on an advanced flight control system that was tested on the X-15 — the idea was to make the airplane handle in the same way in all positions, whether at high or low altitudes, high or low speeds. I thought, and still think, that this sort of thing will lend itself to applications far beyond aircraft. It will be useful in systems governing cameras, tape recorders, automated industry controls, many things. We were not just pilots; we worked as engineers and developers of programs. In fact we spent very little time flying. Most of the time we were organizing and planning, using airplanes as tools to get information. This was the only justifiable approach. The pilot could not be just a passenger on what somebody once called a galactic joy ride; we were using research aircraft like the X-15 to extend our investigative capabilities. If we didn't take that approach, probably we did not deserve to be there.
   We even worked on the Mercury project's drogue parachute, which in the early days tended to be unstable at sonic speeds. We rigged up a bomb-like capsule which had approximately the same weight as the old Mercury capsule, and dropped it repeatedly from seventy thousand feet — the highest 'bombing,' I suppose, ever done anywhere. The idea was to test the drogue parachute at approximately the correct altitude and speed, about Mach 1.1. At the time we were doing this, the Mercury project looked like a dark horse to us. We thought we were far more involved in space flight research than the Mercury people.
   I judged them wrongly. >>

THE LANGUAGE OF SPACE
123>
<<   The language of engineering has always been a very precise language. Though a lot of technical words were used, a great effort was usually made to define them clearly so that the audience or the reader should be aware of precisely what had been meant by the statement or by the sentence. We used to make a lot of fun about those other professions which were less careful with their phraseology and terminology — particularly the Madison Avenue approach to speech and writing. However I guess that in recent years we have tried to out-Madison Madison Avenue. If we can't find a word to misuse properly, we'll make one up. An example of misuse is our use of the
<123 124>
word 'nominal,' which most of the English-speaking world interprets as meaning small, minimal — and we usually use it in the sense of being average or normal, for reference value. I think that most of the English-speaking world would say that a nominal tab for dinner would be a dollar or less. To a space scientist a nominal tab would be maybe six or seven dollars. The difference is that most people think of nominal as being small, and we tend to use it as average.
   We can degrade further the usefulness of a word like 'nominal' by adding modifiers — for example, 'nominalize,' which might be translated into 'make standard' or 'make normal.' And 'denominalize' might mean make abnormal, or make unusual. This kind of chicanery, when carried to the extreme, might produce such useful words in the English language as 'denominalizationmanshipwise.' We have even become a bit careless in our use of technical terms — for instance the word 'perigee,' which comes from the Greek, means the closest point to the earth in a trajectory. But it is frequently used as the lowest point in an orbit about any body — for example, the lowest point to the moon might be called a perigee even though it is more correctly called 'perilune.' I think the astronomers who originated these terms are perhaps turning over in their graves because of our flippant use of their very carefully determined words.
   Then there are those abbreviations. Like CSM for command and service module, LM for lunar module, MCC for mission control center, RCS for reaction control system, ECS for environmental control system — and so on. NASA encourages, in fact practically demands, that such abbreviations be used throughout the system. This has led to literally thousands of phrases and groups of initials, insuring that the newcomer and the layman are going to be confused by the use of abbreviations and acronyms scattered liberally throughout the sentences spoken or written by anyone who is attempting to explain what's going on.
   From a talking point of view these abbreviations probably do not help much. CMC, which means command module computer, takes up three syllables. The word computer itself also takes only three syllables, so you don't save much time in speech. It is true that you save some time, or some space, in writing and printing, particularly with respect to written notes back and forth between people at the working level. The problem is that this shorthand is used so much, and so frequently, that it becomes a crutch, and it is difficult to make any point without leaning on it. The computer people are reaching the absolute epitome of short-cut technical English. Of course they must speak in machine language when they are talking with the machines, but they carry over that kind of phraseology into their daily conversation.
   And into their writing. In 1968 I received a copy of a memorandum which said in part: 'A small (but interesting) change in the interpreter makes it possible to call from interpretive, using RTB, in general any basic subroutine which may be called using BANKCALL: in particular any basic subroutine which (1) ends with a TC Q, or a TC K if it stores Q in K, (2) does not clob-
<124 125>
ber BUF2 or BUF 2 + 1, (3) does not clobber interpreter temporaries LOC, BANKSET, EDOP, and of course such erasables as FIXLOC and PUSHLOC and PRIORITY with which no one should trifle. A TC Q from such a routine leads through SWRETURN to DANZIG. This amounts to a quantum jump in the sexiness of the RTB op-code; this change merges the RTB op-code with the larger set of basic subroutines callable using BANKCALL... This immediately opens a large virgin territory to interpreter users; and as TCF DANZIG routines are converted to TC Q subroutines a significant area may be opened to users of basic... [Some] subroutines which have required interpretive interface routines can now do without; for instance the SGNAGREE interface for TPAGREE can be dispensed with... Note that... Q points to SWERETURN: BUF2 to a TCF DANZIG.'
   Understand?
   No wonder that when they put a little cupboard in the wall of the Apollo 11 spacecraft to hold between-meals snacks they wound up calling it 'the smorgasbord mode.'
   Doubtless Robert Benchley could make something of all this if he were alive. So could W. C. Fields. >>

THE ART OF SIMULATING
170>
<< You'd like to hope eventually to take the art out. There's a lot of ingenuity involved, a creative aspect. The free-flight simulator was conceived back in the days before there was a lunar module on the drawing boards, when I was at Edwards. Some people at Edwards and some others at Bell Aerosystems got their heads together. Long before we became committed to the lunar effort, it was obvious that landing, maneuvering over the lunar surface and taking off from it was quite a problem, and that even without knowing the nature of the configuration of going to the lunar surface, this was a valid engineering problem. We were thinking about this as early as 1958. The primary problem was that dynamics were considerably different over, and on, the moon than they were over, and on, the earth. Since there was no atmosphere on the moon, you couldn't use the techniques of airplanes or lighter-than-air vehicles. You had to have propulsion, a lifting force, to keep any machine flying, and this lifting force had to be equal to the weight of the machine or greater than its weight. It was decided to 'simulate' the lunar gravity on earth by using a jet engine which would support five-sixths of the weight of the vehicle, plus propulsion rockets to lift the remaining one-sixth, the lunar weight.
   The problem of walking on the lunar surface was also anticipated. Man's weight on the moon would be one-sixth of his terrestrial weight, but his body would have the same mass. So in order to start walking or stop walking, you had to acquire force at a steeper angle — lean farther to start or stop. If you stood erect, as on earth, you would have little acceleration or deceleration ability. This would be something like trying to walk on the bottom of a pool with some weights. You couldn't get enough traction because of the low weight force you could apply to the bottom of the pool.
   Two ways proved somewhat successful in simulating a walk on the lunar surface. One was to use an aircraft flying a trajectory very similar to zero gravity; for thirty-second periods you could walk under one-sixth gravity. Another technique was to counterbalance a man — stand him erect and support him by a cable and pulley system counterweighted with five-sixths of the man's weight. It was a Peter Pan rig. They had one at Grumman, where they were building the lunar module. [There are now several of them,
<170 171>
improved versions, including one at MSC, Houston.] You had the feeling of being able to jump very high — a very light feeling. You also had a feeling that things were happening slowly, which indeed they were. It was a sort of floating sensation. But the lunar setting will become a very easy place to work, I think, once we have mastered the problems of balance and starting and stopping. We'll adapt to it. We'll be able to lift large loads — one hundred pounds with one hand, for instance — very easily. It's our feeling that the first time we step out on the lunar surface will not be the time to try to develop a technique concerning how much area we can cover or how far we can reasonably go. It will be a kind of dress rehearsal. There's no way we can simulate all the aspects together. There's no way to do that until we get to the moon. But we can take all the different parts and do them one piece at a time.
   Then, mentally, we can put them all together and comprehend what the actual problems are going to be. It's like fitting together a jigsaw puzzle. >>

Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
Continued...

16 MARCH 1966 – GEMINI 8
175>
<< After our first orbit, I began the maneuvers required to bring us to a rendezvous with the previously launched Agena rocket. [Armstrong and Dave Scott had been launched by a Titan.] These maneuvers required a series of
<175 176>
burns on our thrusters that would put us into precisely the same orbit with the Agena. On our third revolution around the earth we picked it up on our radar. Even though we knew it would be an hour or so before we actually saw our target, we started straining for the first sight. And finally: there it was, a pinpoint of light seventy-six miles ahead. When we had closed the distance to about four miles, we could see it glowing in the sunlight like a fluorescent tube.
   I made the closing maneuvers, and Dave handled the computer calculations which told us the exact amount and direction of thrust needed. As we closed the final few inches and latched the two vehicles, we felt a firm contact. Outside in airless space there was only silence, but in the cockpit we heard a slight thud. We relaxed for the first time.
   We flew the Agena for the next thirty minutes. But discussions with the ground made us suspicious of its performance. When both vehicles started to spin, slowly at first and then rapidly picking up speed, we shut down the Agena and tried to stabilize with our regular attitude control system. That seemed to work for a while. Then the tumbling started again. We felt something that Dave was to describe later as 'constructive alarm.' We were aware of a serious emergency. A test pilot's job is identifying problems and getting the answers. We never once doubted we would find an answer — but we had to find it fast.
   Although we had no way of knowing for sure, we were concerned that the stresses might be getting dangerously high — that the two spacecraft might break apart. We discussed undocking, but we had to be sure that the tumbling rate at the instant of separation would be low enough to keep us from colliding moments later.
   As we unlatched, we still hoped to rejoin the Agena. At this point we figured that the trouble was in the Agena, but it wasn't. After separation the Gemini spacecraft stopped responding to the controls and rotated more rapidly than ever — the sun flashed through the window about once a second. The sensations were much like those you would feel during an aircraft spin. Neither Dave nor I felt the approach of loss of consciousness, but if the rates continued to increase we knew that an intolerable level would be reached. The only way to stabilize the spacecraft would be to shut down the regular control system and turn on the thrusters in the reentry control system.
   I made that decision reluctantly — reluctantly, because once the decision was made, the mission had to be terminated. That excluded Dave Scott's EVA, the two-hour walk in space scheduled for later in the flight — and that hurt.
   After a check of all the electrical circuits, we finally pinpointed the problem: the No. 8 thruster had been firing on its own. >>

THE LLRV
216>
<< I guess we should say first that this machine flies in two methods. One, it flies as if it were flying over the moon, and in the other method it does not. That is, it isn't simulating the lunar environment but rather flying like a vertical landing and takeoff aircraft, on earth. Now you use the latter method in taking off, lifting off the surface, and flying to the point where you want to start the trajectory, where you're simulating the lunar descent from about five hundred feet. The vehicle would fly a good bit higher than that, but when we went very much higher we would not be able to simulate the lunar descent. A higher altitude requires a higher velocity. That is, as you are descending to the lunar surface you are also decelerating, and we pass through a five hundred-foot altitude at about the maximum speed of the LLRV, so we start the program at its maximum speed. This corresponds to an altitude of about five hundred feet. So the initial liftoff and climb — that's somewhat like flying a helicopter. It's a matter of flying to the position where you want to start the trajectory and then — what we call setting up the initial conditions. The initial conditions are those characteristics of the point where you want to start working on your problem, those characteristics of the LM that you can duplicate. We're talking about things like speed, altitude and the attitude of the vehicle. At — let's say — seventy feet per second or fifty mph, and then in an attitude that would be nearly level but pitched up a little bit, you would be slowing down at the start of the problem. You would be in effect, then, at the time you started coping with the problem, in an identical relationship with the landing area — how far away the landing area is, what difference in altitude you have, what speed — with what it would be like when you tried to land the real thing on the moon.
   The thing that surprises people on their initial flights in a lunar simulation
<216 217>
mode is the tendency of the vehicle to float well beyond where you think it's going to go. It takes a good bit of practice to anticipate the distance necessary for you to slow down. Let's say you're approaching the landing area at thirty mph and you want to stop in a particular spot. Everything you've learned on earth will be wrong. If you try to do something the way you do it on earth, as in a helicopter, you will probably overshoot by a couple of hundred feet. So you have to learn to anticipate and start your braking much earlier so that you will stop where you want to stop. Similarly, if you change your mind — if you come to a hover and then change your mind, and decide you want to fly over fifty feet to the left or fifty feet in front of you, it takes a lot of effort to get yourself moving again. The vehicle appears to be sluggish in its translating ability, so it takes a long time and big angles to pick up a little speed to go over fifty feet. Again, it's a matter of anticipating earlier what your requirements will be. We hope to have a minute and a half or two minutes of fuel essentially in hover when we are landing on the moon, but you can chew that up right fast if you change your mind frequently about where you want to go. Anticipation is the key.
   The LLRV rocket engines use hydrogen peroxide as a propellant. Hydrogen peroxide is just water with extra oxygen in it. The propellant doesn't burn; it just decomposes into water in the form of superheated steam and oxygen. It's decomposed by being passed over a silver catalyst in the rocket engine chamber. On damp Houston days, and there are a lot of them because we have high humidity in the area, we get a lot of white steam around the vehicle. It comes from this steam being exhausted in the atmosphere. It makes the training vehicle look even stranger than the real LM — a kind of cross between an old-fashioned Stanley Steamer and a calliope. >>

6 MAY 1968 – THE LLRV CRASH
217>
<< It was my twenty-first flight in the LLRV. I was flying the terminal portion of a simulated lunar landing profile; I lifted the vehicle off the ground and reached an altitude of about five hundred feet in preparation for making the landing profile. I had been airborne for about five minutes and was down to about two hundred feet when the trouble began. The vehicle began to tilt sharply. Afterward this incident was reported as an explosion, but that was erroneous. It's just that there are all the exhaust products of those rocket engines going off, and since there were a lot of engines firing at once people on the ground thought they were seeing an explosion. They were mistaken.
   The first sign of trouble was a decreasing ability to control the vehicle. There was less and less response. The trouble developed rather rapidly, but it was not an abrupt stop. It was a decay in attitude control. You have to
<217 218>
have attitude control to point the main engines down, the engines that keep you from falling down to the surface. Without attitude control there is no chance to maintain the orientation and keep upright. The vehicle does have two separate systems for doing this, but in this case both systems failed at their common point, when the high pressure helium was supposed to pressurize the propellant to the rocket engines. So we were losing both systems simultaneously, and that's where you have to give up and get off.
   My guess is that I ejected at one hundred feet, plus or minus some. We don't have a way of measuring accurately, even from photographs. Seven months after this happened, Joseph S. Algranti, chief of MSC's aircraft operations office, who had been assigned to the team which investigated my accident, ran into a similar situation and ejected — at an altitude a bit lower than the one at which I had to get off. How far the ejection throws you depends on your attitude at the time you leave and also the upward or downward velocity you have at the time. But if you start from an upright attitude at about a hover, it will take you up about three hundred feet. Both of the ejections I am talking about were close to that, perhaps two hundred fifty feet. The chute ejector is automatic, although there is a manual override. I had always thought that I might be able to match the automatic system, but I found out that when I was reaching for the D ring, the automatic system had already fired. [9]
   This particular vehicle was the first LLRV; it had made 197 test flights at Edwards before it was shipped to Texas, and it had made about fifty flights at Ellington before the day of the crash. This day it fell straight down. The ejection system threw me somewhat east of the landing point of the machine, but the wind was from the east. At the time my chute opened I was a bit concerned that I might be drifting down into the fireball, because by now the vehicle had crashed and was burning. I started thinking about slipping the chute, but the wind was strong and I actually missed the flames by several hundred feet.
   I got up and walked away after I landed. The only damage to me was that I bit my tongue. >>

LANDING EAGLE
241>
<< Supposedly, in this time period, the crew member is supposed to look out and see the landing area, and if any small changes where the automatic system is taking him are required, he initiates those himself manually by putting control inputs into the stick. This was the area where we failed; we got tied up with computer alarms and were obliged to keep our heads inside the cockpit to assure ourselves that we could continue flying safely. So all those good pictures Tom Stafford took for me on Apollo 10, in order to pick out where I was going and to know precisely where I was, were to no avail. I just didn't get a chance to look out the window. In fact, when the problems were less important and I did get a chance to look out about three thousand feet, we had already passed most of the landmarks I had memorized.
   When Mount Marilyn went by, before the alarms began, and our ignition occurred at the proper time, we knew that we were going to be approximately right; that is, we weren't going to land on the wrong side of the moon or something like that. The ignition was smooth; the engine's start-up power is only ten percent of thrust, somewhat like an idling motor engine. You can neither feel nor hear that, but you can observe on the instruments that the engine appears to be operating properly. After twenty-six seconds the engine begins to operate at full throttle, and there's no question at that point that you do have a good engine. When we made our final downrange position check, over Maskelyne W, that crater Tom Stafford called 'a big rascal,' We were quite certain that we would land a little long. The old rule is when in doubt, land long. Had we been able to look out the window at five or ten thousand feet I think we would have been able to identify our location more specifically. But then there were those alarms, and there was some difficulty in getting them cleared. But we were able to continue because we had memorized the descent reasonably well, and we could go on the instrument readings even though the computer information was not being displayed to us on the lunar module's DSKY.
   When I was finally able to look out we were so low that we couldn't see far enough to identify any significant landmarks. There was a large, impressive crater which turned out to be West Crater, but we couldn't be sure of that at the time. As we neared the surface we considered landing short of that crater, and that seemed to be where the automatic system was taking us. But as we dropped below a thousand feet, it was quite obvious that the system was attempting to land in an undesirable area in a boulder field surrounding the crater. I was surprised by the size of those boulders; some of
<241 242>
them were as big as small motorcars. And it seemed at the time that we were coming up on them pretty fast; of course the clock runs at about triple speed in such a situation.
   I was tempted to land, but my better judgment took over. We pitched over to a level attitude which would allow us to maintain our horizontal velocity and just skim along over the top of the boulder field. That is, we pitched over to standing straight up. Then the automatic throttle was still giving us a descent rate that was too high, and it was going to get us down to an altitude where we would be unable to look out ahead far enough. That was when I took command of the throttle to fly the LM manually the rest of the way. I was being absolutely adamant about my right to be wishy-washy about where I was going to land, and the only way I could buy time was to slow down the descent rate.
   There are three kinds of throttle control on the LM; I chose the semiautomatic version in which I controlled the attitude and the horizontal velocity and let my commands, in conjunction with computer commands, operate the throttle. I changed my mind a couple of times again, looking for a parking place. Something would look good, and then as we got closer it really wasn't good. Finally we found an area ringed on one side by fairly good sized craters and on the other side by a boulder field. It was not a particularly big area, only a couple of hundred square feet, about the size of a big house lot. But it looked satisfactory. And I was quite concerned about the fuel level, although we apparently had a little bit more than our gauge had indicated. It's always nice to have a gallon left when you read empty. But we had to get on the surface very soon or fire the ascent engine and abort. >>

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
Continued...

LOOKING AT THE LUNAR SURFACE FROM THE LM
256>
<<   The sky is black, you know. It's a very dark sky. But it still seemed more like daylight than darkness as we looked out the window. It's a peculiar thing, but the surface looked very warm and inviting. It looked as if it would be a nice place to take a sunbath. It was the sort of situation in which you felt like going out there in nothing but a swimming suit to get a little sun. From the cockpit, the surface seemed to be tan. It's hard to account for that, because later when I held this material in my hand, it wasn't tan at all. It was black, gray and so on. It's some kind of lighting effect, but out the window the surface looks much more like light desert sand than black sand.
   We wanted to do the EVA as soon as possible. We had thought even before launch that if everything went perfectly and we were able to touch down precisely on time; if we didn't have any systems problems to concern us; if we found that we could adapt to the one-sixth G lunar environment readily — then it would make more sense to go ahead and complete the EVA while we were still wide awake and not try to put that activity in the middle of a sleep period. In all candor, we didn't think that an early EVA was a very high probability. But as it turned out we did land on time; there were no environmental or systems complications, so we chose to request permission to go ahead. >>

LOWERING EAGLE'S CABIN PRESSURE
265>
<< That's a part of the exercise we never get to duplicate in any tests or simulations. I think it took so long partly because the backpacks were operating in the cockpit and adding some exhaust gas to the atmosphere which was stabilizing out just above a vacuum. So it took us much more time than we had expected to get our sublimators in the backpacks operating. Again, we had never really done that in simulations. You have to be in a vacuum to do that. We had trained for this aspect of the mission in a chamber and under somewhat different conditions. >>

VIEWS OF THE MOON
281>
<< The most dramatic recollections I had were the sights themselves. Of all the spectacular views we had, the most impressive to me was on the way to the moon, when we flew through its shadow. We were still thousands of miles away, but close enough so that the moon almost filled our circular window. It was eclipsing the sun, from our position, and the corona of the sun was visible around the limb of the moon as a gigantic lens-shaped or saucer-shaped light, stretching out to several lunar diameters. It was magnificent, but the moon was even more so. We were in its shadow, so there was no part of it illuminated by the sun. It was illuminated only by earthshine. It made the moon appear blue-gray, and the entire scene looked decidedly three-dimensional.
   I was really aware, visually aware, that the moon was in fact a sphere, not a disc. It seemed almost as if it were showing us its roundness, its similarity
<281 282>
in shape to our earth, in a sort of welcome. I was sure that it would be a hospitable host. It had been awaiting its first visitors for a long time. >>

THINKING ABOUT THE EVA
296>
<< My impression was that we were taking a snapshot of a steady-state process, in which rocks were being worn down on the surface of the moon with time and other rocks were being thrown out on top as a result of new events somewhere near or far away. In other words, no matter when you had been to this spot before, a thousand years ago or a hundred thousand years ago, or if you came back to it a million years from now, you would see some different things each time, but the scene would generally be the same. I could only guess at the nature of this steady-state process, or whether there was more than one kind of process involved in the evolution of the moon to the state in which we found it. I thought that if there were several kinds, most of the processes seemed to be external, but the nature of the materials involved here would seem to indicate that some kind of internal process had gone on at some time on or inside the moon. In any event that first hour on the moon was hardly the time for long thoughts; we had specific jobs to do. Of course the sights were simply magnificent, beyond any visual experience that I had ever been exposed to. Of course I thought about the magnificence of the whole thing, but that's difficult to capture in a simple description. >>

THOUGHTS BEFORE THE MISSION
337>
<< It would be presumptuous for me to pick out a single thing that history will identify as a result of this mission. But I would say that it will enlighten the human race and help us all to comprehend that we are an important part of a much bigger universe than we can normally see from the front porch. I would hope that it will help individuals, the world over, to think in a proper perspective about the various endeavors of mankind as a whole. Perhaps going to the moon and back in itself isn't all that important. But it is a big enough step to give people a new dimension in their thinking — a sort of enlightenment.
   After all, the earth itself is a spacecraft. It's an odd kind of spacecraft, since it carries its crew on the outside instead of inside. But it's pretty small. And it's cruising in an orbit around the sun. It's cruising in an orbit around the center of a galaxy that's cruising in some unknown orbit, in some un-
<337 338>
known direction and at some unspecified velocity, but with a tremendous rate of change, position and environment. It's hard for us to get far enough away from this scene to see what's happening. If you're in the middle of a crowd, the crowd appears to extend in every direction as far as you can see. You have to step back and look down from the Washington Monument or something like that to see that you're really pretty close to the edge of the crowd, and that the whole picture is quite a bit different from the way it looks when you are in the middle of all those people. From our position on the earth it is difficult to observe where the earth is and where it's going, or what its future course might be. Hopefully, by getting a little farther away, both in the real sense and the figurative sense, we'll be able to make some people step back and reconsider their mission in the universe, to think of themselves as a group of people who constitute the crew of a spaceship going through the universe. If you're going to run a spaceship you've got to be pretty cautious about how you use your resources, how you use your crew, and how you treat your spacecraft.
   Hopefully the trips that we will be making in the next couple of decades will open up our eyes a little. Jim Lovell, I know, pointed out that when you are looking at the earth from the lunar distance, its atmosphere is just unobservable. The atmosphere is so thin, and such a minute part of the earth, that it can't be sensed at all. This impressed me. The atmosphere of the earth is a small and valuable resource. We're going to have to face the fact that we have to learn how to conserve it and use it wisely. Of course, Jim was talking about pollution and that sort of thing, but down here in the crowd you are aware of the atmosphere and it seems adequate, so you don't worry about it too much. But from a different vantage point, perhaps it is possible to understand more easily why we should be worrying. >>

[End quotes]

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:07:42 AM by Kiwi »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:39:53 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »

(I can't get the youtube links to embed??)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
Neil Armstrong not talking about Apollo 13:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=632_1345939110

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
A real piece of history here and not one I'd seen before. Neil Armstrong, Gene Cernan and Jim Lovell share a platform at a military base in Afghanistan in 2011

:)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
A real piece of history here and not one I'd seen before. Neil Armstrong, Gene Cernan and Jim Lovell share a platform at a military base in Afghanistan in 2011

Thanks. I've managed to watch the first two of the links. Those guys still love to tell a story don't they, and what a story to tell. I would love to meet Cernan and Lovell, I would listen to them for hours without interrupting them with questions.  Lovell alone, one of three sets of human eyes to look at the far side for the first time ever, and his Apollo 13 account must be incredible to listen to alone.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »

Thanks. I've managed to watch the first two of the links. Those guys still love to tell a story don't they, and what a story to tell. I would love to meet Cernan and Lovell, I would listen to them for hours without interrupting them with questions.  Lovell alone, one of three sets of human eyes to look at the far side for the first time ever, and his Apollo 13 account must be incredible to listen to alone.

I've had the pleasure of shaking Cernan's hand at the screening of his documentary 'Last Man on the Moon', and hope to do the same in October with Jim Lovell when he speaks in Pontefract. Demand has been so great for the latter that they are trying to add a second date on November 1st.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
Just remove the S from the httpS, like dis:
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXJByoPNp8w[/youtube]gives..

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Just remove the S from the httpS, like dis:
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXJByoPNp8w[/youtube]gives..

Aaaaahh!!!