Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 64624 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »
Revising/deleting parts of AULIS would hurt sales and I really don't believe they will do that.  Profit incentive is a powerful motivator.

That's why it grates. It's not about the truth, it is either about profit or ego.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »

That's why it grates. It's not about the truth, it is either about profit or ego.
I understand and have the SAME FEELINGS.  How those that don't have a monetary incentive, are just plain attempting to boost their egos, "see what I have found that all these learned people don't see/understand".  How important are these people in the overall scheme of life?  Not important but the filth they spew may influence others and that really makes me angry.

EDIT: As conversations with my son who has seen/heard some stuff indicates.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:19:05 AM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
I've followed the hoax debate for a long time in lurk mode, on YT, on various fora, here, Clavius, Cosmoquest, and other places, and it suddenly occurred to me...

All of the threads I've read, (and some of them were huge!) all of the arguments I've witnessed, all of the "debates" (I use that term loosely) all seem to end up with the HBs, CTs, Deniers, etc.. all saying some variations of the same thing: "There is nothing you can tell me that will change my mind! I know it was a hoax!"...

Welcome to membership of ApolloHoax, Ishkabibble.  An excellent first post and a likeable username. Where does it come from? It seems to ring a bell somewhere deep in my memory, but my recall is getting faulty due to Oldfartitis.

An excellent saying about what you posted came from UFO buff Stanton Friedman.  Interestingly, it was directed at sceptics of his claims about UFOs, but it applies to any dogmatists like those you mentioned:--

Don't bother me with the facts; my mind is already made up. — Dr Stanton T. Friedman, Nuclear Physicist — Nexus Vol. 6, No. 2, page 5.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The Username comes from my lovely spouse, who has called me that for the last 24 years. I have no idea why, and every time I've asked her, she says, with a gleam in her eye, "You look like an ishkabibble. Now stop bothering me."

So there you have it.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The Username comes from my lovely spouse, who has called me that for the last 24 years. I have no idea why, and every time I've asked her, she says, with a gleam in her eye, "You look like an ishkabibble. Now stop bothering me."

So there you have it.
And you know/learned to not make mama unhappy, because when she's unhappy the whole household is unhappy. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Here you go:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ish_Kabibble

(See also Borscht Belt)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »
 :)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
Here you go:

(See also Borscht Belt)

Not only did I have no idea about any of this, neither did my wife.

In fact, I pointedly asked her, and she said she had no idea where it came from, it was probably something she heard somewhere and thought funny.

I think the fun may have now gone out of the thing for her...
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41:58 AM »

Here you go:

(See also Borscht Belt)

Not only did I have no idea about any of this, neither did my wife.

In fact, I pointedly asked her, and she said she had no idea where it came from, it was probably something she heard somewhere and thought funny.

I think the fun may have now gone out of the thing for her...

Aaaagh!  That certainly wasn't my intent!!  Some of the funniest stuff in the world came from those guys!

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
We shall see... If I know her as well as I think I do, it will be a few months and then she'll do it again out of habit, at which point I'll get that little gleam, and the all-too-familiar phrase "Now stop bothering me!"

And yes, I learned many, many years ago that the three best words a man can say to his spouse are not "I love you" but rather, "You're right, dear!"

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:37 AM »

I learned many, many years ago that the three best words a man can say to his spouse are not "I love you" but rather, "You're right, dear!"

Except when she says "Do I look fat in this?

(Married to Mrs Dalhouise for 33 years and counting)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 02:54:29 AM »
Personally, I'd rather be told when I'm wrong than agreed to just to make me happy.  If you could have prevented me from making a mistake and didn't, how is that better?  (Actually a woman.)
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:37 AM »
Personally, I'd rather be told when I'm wrong than agreed to just to make me happy.  If you could have prevented me from making a mistake and didn't, how is that better?  (Actually a woman.)

As we all would :)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »
Helll, Apollo has its own online journal, there is little one that cannot find there. In fact, either/both Jay and ka9q have both commented that there is more than a lifetime's reading at the ALSJ for a single person (my memory).
I don't think I'd say there's a lifetime of reading at the ALSJ, but I would say it looks like a lifetime's work for Ken Glover and Eric Jones, the editors who put it together.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »

I learned many, many years ago that the three best words a man can say to his spouse are not "I love you" but rather, "You're right, dear!"

Except when she says "Do I look fat in this?

(Married to Mrs Dalhouise for 33 years and counting)
One of the harder questions to answer.  36 years for us and still counting. :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »
Helll, Apollo has its own online journal, there is little one that cannot find there. In fact, either/both Jay and ka9q have both commented that there is more than a lifetime's reading at the ALSJ for a single person (my memory).
I don't think I'd say there's a lifetime of reading at the ALSJ, but I would say it looks like a lifetime's work for Ken Glover and Eric Jones, the editors who put it together.
Indeed including transferring all the video to a useable format.  And from my last from Ken there is still work that needs to be completed.
Eugene Cernan