Author Topic: Camera recommendations needed....  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Trebor

• Earth
Camera recommendations needed....
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
 I used to have a great camera a long time ago which I ended up selling for reasons of paying rent, buying food etc...

But now I have a small amount of cash to buy a new one (thanks to my NASA cheque which just arrived*) and could do with some recommendations.

I need something less than £500, not too chunky so it can be carried about easily but with a decent lens.
Decent depth of field, decent zoom or detachable lens system...
Anyone have a camera they could recommend?

*Sarcasm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:30:13 PM by Trebor »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Camera recommendations needed....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
Seriously investigate getting a micro four-thirds compact digital such as the Olympus PEN E-PL5

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/e-pl5/olympus-pen-e-pl5-review.html

Go to a "real" camera shop and get them to demonstrate one for you (not one of those mass market places that have little if any expertise)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:49:09 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:34:52 PM »
The Olympus does look good, although their use of 'novelty' filters is off-putting. (Who uses those?)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
What kind of camera do you what? Is small size important? There are many good compact cameras. Or do you want something more versatile and flexible? Consider a SLR with interchangeable lenses.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »
The Olympus does look good, although their use of 'novelty' filters is off-putting. (Who uses those?)

My stepdaughter is, a professional/wedding photographer (she has a different camera, an Olympus EM-5 and it has a similar range of filters.

http://www.babies2weddings.co.nz/

I do all her digital printing so I'm quite familiar with what she uses (in bold)  in the way of art filters.

Diorama
Pop Art
Soft Focus
Pale & Light Color
Light Tone
Grainy Film

Pin Hole
Cross Process
Gentle Sepia

Key Line
Dramatic Tone

Her camera is capable of "stacking" filter effects too, ie, Grainy + Sepia

What kind of camera do you what? Is small size important? There are many good compact cameras. Or do you want something more versatile and flexible? Consider a SLR with interchangeable lenses.

Micro 4/3 cameras like the Olympus do have interchangeable lenses

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:19:56 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Is small size important? There are many good compact cameras. Or do you want something more versatile and flexible?

Size is not so important, as long as it is fairly convenient to cart about.
Versatile and flexible definitely.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
If it's all about the very best image quality but pocketable and you don't mind a limited zoom range (28-100) - Sony RX100 in a heartbeat..
If you need a bit more zoom range (24-120), still want pocketable and good (not as good as the Sony) image quality, then the Canon S100 or S110 are the pick of the bunch.
For more zoom range (25-300) but a bit less image quality, look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (DMC-TZ10 in some areas) or Nikon P7700.
Then there a lots of bridge cameras that lose the pocketablility - but I'd suggest if you give up pocket size, then move to a 4/3 camera as above, or just go to a DSLR.  Then you gain all the lovely benefits of a large sensor - the Nikons and Canons are all pretty good these days so it's more about the lens bundle you can get.  And take a good look at the Sony DSLT range - same as a DSLR except uses a fixed semi-transparent mirror so no mirror slap and allows very fast autofocus while shooting *and* while videoing in HD.. - I've got the Sony Alpha 57 and love it..  Maybe not the lens range of the Canon/Nikon duopoly, but it happily uses all old Minolta AF lenses and gives them image stabilisation (with Canon and Nikon you have to pay for that to be in every lens..)

I think those are all in your price range..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:34:26 PM by ChrLz »

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 05:49:35 AM »
The RX100 does look ideal.
I'll add the Olympus and A57 to the list as well...

Thanks for the great suggestions...

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
I've also seen the Canon EOS M which looks to be in range...
Any thoughts on this one compared to the others?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
I've also seen the Canon EOS M which looks to be in range...
Any thoughts on this one compared to the others?

One thing you should consider is what you are going to use the camera for.

If making prints to 6 x 4" is a significant part of your plan, then you should look to see if the camera has an optional 3:2 aspect ratio setting (you will usually find this is in the resolution settings). This is because almost without exception, digital cameras have a default 4:3 aspect ratio and if you are wanting to print 6 x 4" and the camera does not have a 3:2 option, then the LCD display is not wysiwyg; part of the upper and lower parts of an image in "landscape" orientation (or sides in "portrait" orientation) will be cropped out of the print.

The red box is what you see on your LCD, but the yellow box is what you get when you print

A 3:2 setting lets you see only what you'll get by blacking out the cropped portion of the photo

While this obviously doesn't have a significant impact on every photo, you wouldn't believe the number of times I see photos from customers who have been on an overseas trip, and have taken photos of old or historic buildings on the default 4:3 setting, and have not left enough room top and bottom to print a 6 x 4" print for their album.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 04:54:49 AM »
Canon are latecomers to the mirrorless interchangeable lens market... and while it's a nice idea to be backwards compatible with much of canon's lens range, you need an adapter.  Plus, it seems the EOS M's AutoFocus leaves a *lot* to be desired (this is a fairly typical review), and slow AF is the kiss of death to any camera like this..  Look elsewhere.

BTW, make sure you play with the cameras - one of the reasons I have stuck to the larger DSLR style body is that when a you put a big lens on these tiny cameras, they can feel downright weird and unbalanced - call me old-fashioned..

For me, the killer attributes in a 'perfect' camera, in order, are:
- Good viewfinder, preferably one that shows all information and is of high enough resolution to allow quick and easy manual focus, or a good optical one.  I don't like using LCD screens in daylight, plus holding the camera to your face aids in stability.
- Good low-light performance - which means the larger the sensor the better.
- Fast Autofocus (DSLR's are generally much better than compacts as they use phase detection rather than contrast detection) with the ability to track objects
- HD video, preferably with manual control and that fast AF (this one trips up most DSLR's - once the mirror flips up most of them lose their ability to fast focus...)
All of that (and a whole heap of other clever tricks it does!) is why I went for the Sony A57 - and as a bonus it was relatively inexpensive.  It's ability to record HD video with phase detect AF and continuous live view was the party trick that finally pushed me into buying it.  BTW, it's now been superseded by a camera that in some ways isn't as good - so it's a bargain if you can find it.

I'd suggest you put together a similar list of the things that you think would be most useful for the stuff you want to do - and feel free to bring that list back here..

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
I'd add another entry to that list: picture-taking speed. Almost every camera upgrade I've made since my first one in 1998 or so was to get one that could take pictures more quickly. To me this is actually the most important feature, as I've missed many shots while waiting for the camera to write its buffer to the flash card. This happens even at weddings.

My Canon 40D can take six frames/sec more or less continuously in JPEG mode. In RAW mode it can take something like a dozen, then it slows down to the bandwidth of the card. I usually shoot in RAW mode, but if I know I'll be taking pictures rapidly I'll switch to JPEG to keep this from happening, and that's usually acceptable.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »
I might as well add one of my recommendations:

If you want to photograph the moon, planets, stars, meteors and satellites, as some people here might want to do, make sure that the focus defaults to infinity if it's fully automatic.  Such pictures don't turn out too well when the lovely all-auto camera thinks the subject is just in front of the lens.

I'm a long-term invalid now, but was formerly a professional wedding / portrait / model / child / animal photographer, plus owned a camera store and studio in the 70s and 80s and taught photography and judged competitions for nearby camera clubs.

In 1986 I got interested in astronomical photography thanks to Halley's Comet, and after a bit of experience always got what I wanted on film.

Anyway, long story short, in 2011 I was able to afford a modest digital camera and after a lot of study found that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 met most of my requirements and available cash.  It was already superseded by the next model, but I preferred its specs, which included Starry Sky mode and exposures up to one minute, though I would have preferred five minutes at least and up to thirty.

The horrors when I got home and found, buried on page 99 of the 223-page manual, the following regarding Starry Sky mode:
"We recommend using prefocus (P74) to focus on a subject, such as a bright star or a distant light, that is easy to focus on."

The bloody maniacs!  How does one do that when alone in a dark-sky area well away from city lights, when no stars can be seen on the screen?  If ONLY they made it default to infinity, or allowed manual focus!  Under those conditions I can shoot the moon, but I can't shoot stars or satellites when it's not visible.  Can only do them when there's light in the sky and can prefocus on earthbound scenery, which is sometimes too slow anyway.

Another fault: I do a lot of sunsets and when I zoom in to get the green flash the camera automatically turns the scene red, whereas our beautifully clear New Zealand skies usually give us a wonderful golden-orange sun in blue sky with pink clouds.  Frustrating!

At least I get far more green flashes than northern hemisphere folk do, apparently.

And a 223-page manual!  With all my experience I don't have a clue why I might want so many of the camera's features, and the manual doesn't tell me why either, so how could any beginner understand the camera and get the best from it?

Secretly, I want a Canon SLR, I think.  I've owned cameras that handled five different film formats and used even more, and the best 35mm film-camera for me, right up to the end, was the early-1970s Canon EF.  I still have two of them -- one well-used and one mint.

One excellent thing the EF did was what KA9Q alluded to above -- it allowed me to take two pictures very quickly, which was useful when shooting wedding candids and groups.

The winder had a large stand-off and short throw and even allowed the shutter to be pressed with pressure put on the winder.  It probably had very sturdy mechanics under the winder too, because I never wrecked them after taking thousands of photos.

Every now-and-then at weddings and socials a guy (never a female, drat it!) would come up to me and say, "Man, you're fast -- where's your winder?"  I'd grin and hold up my thumb.  That and the camera were faster than any winder and only slightly slower than a big motor-drive.  In fact, I had to move the lens a little up, down or sideways between shots so I could pick the difference between prints of the two.

One opinionated opinion I have:  Those cameras which need to be held way-out-in-front-of-your-face-to-see-the-screen are utterly daft if you want better than fuzzy, shaky snapshots some of the time.  But it's okay for anyone else here to disagree!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:12:14 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »

If you want to photograph the moon, planets, stars, meteors and satellites, as some people here might want to do, make sure that the focus defaults to infinity if it's fully automatic.  Such pictures don't turn out too well when the lovely all-auto camera thinks the subject is just in front of the lens.

Yes, I you are wanting to do this, make sure that you check that the model you are getting has these three vital functions. Not all digital cameras have these...

1. Bulb Mode (usually labeled "B" on the exposure dial. This is what allows you to leave the shutter open for as long as you wish.

2. Cable release facility for Bulb Mode

3. Manual focus

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:22:45 AM by smartcooky »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
In fact, very few general purpose digital cameras seem to have a "bulb" mode.