Author Topic: Cooper's smoke, and the Great Wall of China  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
Cooper's smoke, and the Great Wall of China
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »
All this talk of China landing a crew on the far side has gotten me thinking about various things from the past. Things like Gordo claiming to have seen smoke from chimneys on his Mercury flight, and everyone saying he was crazy until it was confirmed on one of the Gemini flights. The old claim that one can see many of the Wonders of the World from space, like the Pyramids.  and the Great Wall of China.

Well, I know you can zoom in with Google Earth, but can you really see things like the Great Wall of China from space, or is it just too narrow a structure?

Anyone have any photos?
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Cooper's smoke, and the Great Wall of China
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
All this talk of China landing a crew on the far side has gotten me thinking about various things from the past. Things like Gordo claiming to have seen smoke from chimneys on his Mercury flight, and everyone saying he was crazy until it was confirmed on one of the Gemini flights. The old claim that one can see many of the Wonders of the World from space, like the Pyramids.  and the Great Wall of China.

Well, I know you can zoom in with Google Earth, but can you really see things like the Great Wall of China from space, or is it just too narrow a structure?

Anyone have any photos?

The Great Wall of China is not visible from space, at least not without magnification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-made_structures_visible_from_space#The_Great_Wall_of_China

There are only three things I know of that are visible from space. Two are listed in that Wikipedia page

The Greenhouses of Almería in Spain

The Kennecott Copper Mine in Utah

The third thing, not listed there, is Donald Trump's ego

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:15:47 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
The old claim that one can see many of the Wonders of the World from space, like the Pyramids.  and the Great Wall of China.

The story about the Great Wall of China being visible from space came from a story in a comic which I read here in New Zealand, probably as a teenager in the early 1960s.

I don't recall who the characters in the story were or even which comic exactly, but I vaguely recall that the pictures were black-and-white line-drawings and that it may have been one of the many stories in one of the 100-page comics that were popular at the time.

The story went something like this:  Some bad aliens set up a problem for the Earthling spaceman-hero by producing a duplicate Earth close to the real one, and somehow they forced our man to use a weapon to blow up one of the Earths with a 50/50 chance that he might pick the wrong planet. The two Earths were shown as large globes, so probably not from as far away as the moon. Luckily for us, he blew up the one that we weren't on, and how he managed that was that the aliens hadn't included the Great Wall of China on their duplicate Earth so, although he was out in space, he could see which was the fake and which was the real one.

I wonder if comic nuts could find that story now-days. It would be great to show the origin of the modern myth.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:00:42 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »
One of the problems with viewing the great wall, its width is small compared to its length.  If it were wider , I'm not sure what the exact width would be, it could be viewed from LEO.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan