Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 425749 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1605 on: November 07, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
I'm surprised by this. I thought he would have been able to afford skilled lawyers who could present a challenging case. Like the way Alan Dershowitz was part of his team for the impeachment trial.

The quality lawyers recognize a weak case when they see it and don't want to tarnish their reputation by being associated with it. Plus, they probably know Trump's dire financial situation and his reputation for stiffing people, and probably doubt that they will be paid.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1606 on: November 07, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
It must be a huge psycological burden, to be rejected after all his blustering. How will he cope?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1607 on: November 07, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
I'm surprised by this. I thought he would have been able to afford skilled lawyers who could present a challenging case. Like the way Alan Dershowitz was part of his team for the impeachment trial.

My understanding is that the campaign spent more money on advertising than planned and, as a result, left too little money to pursue the legal challenges that were part of their strategy all along.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1608 on: November 07, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »

The quality lawyers recognize a weak case when they see it and don't want to tarnish their reputation by being associated with it. Plus, they probably know Trump's dire financial situation and his reputation for stiffing people, and probably doubt that they will be paid.

So, along the lines of...

Trump: So we've got the best lawyers?

Aide: We've got the best lawyers money can buy.

[Pause]

Trump: Oh...
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1609 on: November 07, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »
The best lawyers YOUR money can buy.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1610 on: November 08, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »
The circular logic on display over the last few days has been truly dizzying. 'Trump is losing the election because it's rigged, and we know the election is rigged because Trump is losing.' I can't make up my mind if Trump is deliberately playing on the ignorance of many of his base as to how the system actually works or if he himself is actually ignorant of it. That he has been reduced to all caps rage tweeting is pretty much just what most expected from him.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1611 on: November 08, 2020, 12:26:54 AM »
The former, the man is a textbook demagogue, mixed with the narcissism to believe the latter despite any evidence to the contrary, I'd wager.
Anyone else feel that Biden didn't win so much as Trump lost?

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1612 on: November 08, 2020, 01:25:42 AM »
The best lawyers YOUR money can buy.

Ah, so the good lawyers think he can't win, and the smart lawyers think he can't pay.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1613 on: November 08, 2020, 01:41:24 AM »
The former, the man is a textbook demagogue, mixed with the narcissism to believe the latter despite any evidence to the contrary, I'd wager.
Anyone else feel that Biden didn't win so much as Trump lost?

I wonder if he's a bit like those cult leaders who come to believe the lines they feed to their followers.

I'm reminded of an Australian politician from the 1960s to the 1980s - Joh Bjelke-Petersen, the premier (~ US state governor) of Queensland. He was conservative, had an idiosyncratic speaking style, and retained power due to fairly outrageous gerrymandering. But after serious corruption was demonstrated under his rule his party turned against him, an action which Joh refused to accept. I remember a cartoon in the local paper showing a baffled policeman outside a house, explaining on the radio to his sergeant about how this old man was mumbling incomprehensibly and holding himself hostage...

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1614 on: November 08, 2020, 03:50:25 AM »
I've never been so happy to be incorrect. Well done Biden and Harris!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1615 on: November 08, 2020, 05:09:06 AM »
I've just had a bit of a laugh over a couple of issues which I'll leave the resourceful people here to find for themselves (if you haven't already):

- Rudi Giuliani at Four Seasons; and

- Alex Zdan's response to being heckled.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1616 on: November 08, 2020, 08:25:28 AM »
I've just had a bit of a laugh over a couple of issues which I'll leave the resourceful people here to find for themselves (if you haven't already):

- Rudi Giuliani at Four Seasons; and

Oh man, did you ever see anything like that??? I couldn't believe it when Trump tweeted about a major press conference at the Four Seasons and then clarified that it was a gardening place in the middle of an industrial estate in what looks like a very rundown part of town. I nearly coughed a lung up from laughing when I saw the livestream with a hastily erected Trump/Pence backdrop in the parking lot of this tiny business.  And yes, that is a rolled up garden hose in the background...

Then came Rudi and a bunch of nobodies. Rudi has clearly gone full Tonto batcrap crazy. He then handed over to some bloke who claimed there was fraud because a couple of ballots looked to have similar handwriting....and he spotted this from 5 metres distant. The next headbanger was a woman who claimed that there was fraud because she had a feeling that there was fraud being committed.  ::)

In a bizarre four years, this was yet another completely nuts episode.

In Michigan a judge threw out the Trump campaign case to have the counting stopped. The judgement read:

In all seriousness, how nuts do you have to be to go to court and base your argument on what an unknown individual was told by other poll workers at her table?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiqv5L-g_PsAhXRoVwKHbeKDDkQFjACegQIBxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.michigan.gov%2Fdocuments%2Fag%2F20201106_Opin_and_Ord_707156_7.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1INI-Nt1Lsvo-2ziN_xb6C

It's my opinion that Trump knows that these cases have no legal merit. They are a salve for his psyche that allows him to convince himself that he was robbed. it also reminds me of Nigerian 419 scammer ploys. Their spam emails are designed to be unplausible as only the most gullible of the gullible would accept them. Anyone with an IQ higher than their belt size would recognise them as a scam. In effect, responders have self-selected themselves as being the most gullible and hence the most susceptible to being conned. Likewise these nonsense court cases will only be accepted by the dumbest of the dumb. Good voting stock for the Republican party....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1617 on: November 08, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
And it's across from a crematorium damn near an adult toy store apparently. Perfect location for the man whose political career has just died and gone up in smoke after over half of America tells him to go self fornicate.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 09:42:08 AM by raven »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1618 on: November 08, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
And it's across from a crematorium damn near an adult toy store apparently. Perfect location for the man whose political career has just died and gone up in smoke after over half of America tells him to go self fornicate.

;D ;D ;D

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #1619 on: November 08, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
I think that history will not be kind to Trump (or his enablers).

Oh for a time machine, to see what's written in a couple of hundred years about the events of the last few months...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb