Author Topic: Cracked--Still Surprisingly Intelligent  (Read 4824 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Cracked--Still Surprisingly Intelligent
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_20466_5-conspiracy-theories-that-are-shockingly-easy-to-debunk.html

It's got all the biggies--9/11, JFK, Apollo, and Pearl Harbor.  Also Kurt Cobain's suicide--no, Courtney didn't kill him.  Self-medicating for depression with heroin killed him.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Re: Cracked--Still Surprisingly Intelligent
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
There have been a few Cracked articles lately which have been truly excellent.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
There are a couple of authors there whose articles I read even if the subject doesn't interest me--John Cheese is a good enough writer that I suffer through his video game articles, though even that isn't enough to make me read the professional wrestling ones.  I'm fond of Christina H., too; for one thing, her articles are practically the only ones on the site which don't assume that everyone reading them is male.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
Cracked's idea of terrifying tends toward hyperbole, it's last article on AI was actually very fascinating, but it still can be quite entertaining. I tend to avoid the videos mostly, but otherwise it rates a daily visit.