Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Chariots for Apollo (Pellegrino & Stoff)

(1/2) > >>

Dalhousie:
I am half way through this - what are other people's thoughts?

It's written without references and has some obvious sensationalised inaccuracies (Luna 1 was not a steel ball, Leonov did not nearly die during his EVA, and Thomas Gold was not a geologist). 

A few titbits that I have not seen elsewhere, some seem reasonable, some improbable.  Were astronauts really not interested in being involved with testing the LEM?  Did three three Apollo 1 "test conductors' (including the "test director") actually faint at their consoles when the fire happen?

Obviousman:
I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

Dalhousie:

--- Quote from: Obviousman on February 22, 2024, 05:42:07 AM ---I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

--- End quote ---

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 273.5 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa, and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).

Dalhousie:

--- Quote from: Dalhousie on February 25, 2024, 05:25:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Obviousman on February 22, 2024, 05:42:07 AM ---I believe Leonov did nearly die; after all, he had to depressurise his suit to a dangerous level to get back into the spacecraft.

--- End quote ---

He reduced the pressure from 40 kPa down to 27 kPa.  This is not a dangerous level, it is more that the Apollo EVA suit (25.5 kPa), and 50% more than the safe minimum for any suit in an emergency (e.g. 18.5 kPa used by by the Shuttle EES).

--- End quote ---

bknight:
I was under the impression that the Soviets used a nitrogen-oxygen mixture for their cosmonauts after the O2 accident that burned one of their cosmonauts.  But I could be mistaken in that impression.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version