Off Topic > General Discussion

Beirut-shima

<< < (3/7) > >>

raven:
I have online friends with friends in the area.
They're OK, but the event is definitely opening up some old wounds for them.
No way this is a missile. It would need to be nuclear to do that kind of damage for the size, and  I've seen film of  a Davy Crockett, a similar kiloton scale device, going off, and it looks nothing like this. No, it was a bunch of Ammonium nitrate going off. Horrific, yes, but unlikely to be intentional.
My deepest condolences. Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

LionKing:

--- Quote from: raven on August 07, 2020, 03:59:09 PM ---I have online friends with friends in the area.
No way this is a missile. It would need to be nuclear to do that kind of damage for the size, and  I've seen film of  a Davy Crockett, a similar kiloton scale device, going off, and it looks nothing like this. No, it was a bunch of Ammonium nitrate going off. Horrific, yes, but unlikely to be intentional.
My deepest condolences. Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

--- End quote ---

also in Texas something similar happened. However, being unintentional doesn't mean there is no one responsible. Responsible people at the airport are arrested. I hope they don't get them out because of their political connections.

videos from local shops https://youtube.com/watch?v=I6Af0n27LzA

mako88sb:

--- Quote from: raven on August 07, 2020, 03:59:09 PM --- Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

--- End quote ---

I was telling my oldest daughter about this and that I thought it was the biggest non-nuclear explosion but told her to check it out. Yes, at the time it was but I didn’t know about the Texas City one in 1947 that was a bit bigger. Ammonia Nitrate was the cause of that one as well. More than twice as bad as Beirut. Sad to see something like this in a country already struggling.

raven:

--- Quote from: LionKing on August 07, 2020, 04:25:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: raven on August 07, 2020, 03:59:09 PM ---I have online friends with friends in the area.

--- End quote ---

also in Texas something similar happened. However, being unintentional doesn't mean there is no one responsible. Responsible people at the airport are arrested. I hope they don't get them out because of their political connections.

--- End quote ---
I dearly hope those responsible are held accountable as well. This never should have happened.

--- Quote from: mako88sb on August 07, 2020, 04:26:54 PM ---I was telling my oldest daughter about this and that I thought it was the biggest non-nuclear explosion but told her to check it out. Yes, at the time it was but I didn’t know about the Texas City one in 1947 that was a bit bigger. Ammonia Nitrate was the cause of that one as well. More than twice as bad as Beirut. Sad to see something like this in a country already struggling.

--- End quote ---
Yep, both are biggies. Another one is the second N1 launch failure, fell right back onto the pad and, "Big badda boom!"

Allan F:

--- Quote from: mako88sb on August 07, 2020, 04:26:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: raven on August 07, 2020, 03:59:09 PM --- Canada had a somewhat similar incident during World War 1, when a ship carrying high explosives caught fire after colliding in the harbour and then exploded. It took out much of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

--- End quote ---

I was telling my oldest daughter about this and that I thought it was the biggest non-nuclear explosion but told her to check it out. Yes, at the time it was but I didn’t know about the Texas City one in 1947 that was a bit bigger. Ammonia Nitrate was the cause of that one as well. More than twice as bad as Beirut. Sad to see something like this in a country already struggling.

--- End quote ---

What about the Pepcon-disaster, where ammonium perchlorate exploded? Where is that on the scale?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version