Author Topic: Photo Anomalies  (Read 42965 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: Photo Anomalies
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »
Isn't the LM as it stands also a 'tail sitter'? I think the biggest problem with an Apollo Direct, at least as initially envisioned, was Nova. The Saturn V was big, but Nova. . . . At least one configuration had a 2nd stage with a bigger diameter 2nd stage than the Saturn V first stage!
Indeed it is, but it is a heck of a lot closer to the ground than a direct return craft would be.

Nova was designed for a direct ascent. An EOR plan would have used rockets about half the size of the Saturn V. Multiple launches of these would be used to get the components of the Lunar lander into LEO, where the lander would be assembled.

I'm reading Apollo The Race to the Moon right now and they mentioned that due to the tremendous noise NOVA would of generated, they were actually looking at someway to sea launch it. I found this article that explains it a bit more near the bottom of it. Even mentions that one concept studied was to launch it from hollowed out launch tubes in Hawaiian cliff sides?!?!? Quite the logistics nightmare to pull that one off. Anybody aware of this study and where it might be located? I also read the logistics chapter in Stages to Saturn. I'm not even sure they could of built NOVA as it seems the Saturn V really pushed them to the limits transporting all the different components to the assembly location.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/nova.htm

That sounds very Supervillian Lair there.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
Isn't the LM as it stands also a 'tail sitter'? I think the biggest problem with an Apollo Direct, at least as initially envisioned, was Nova. The Saturn V was big, but Nova. . . . At least one configuration had a 2nd stage with a bigger diameter 2nd stage than the Saturn V first stage!
Indeed it is, but it is a heck of a lot closer to the ground than a direct return craft would be.

Nova was designed for a direct ascent. An EOR plan would have used rockets about half the size of the Saturn V. Multiple launches of these would be used to get the components of the Lunar lander into LEO, where the lander would be assembled.

I'm reading Apollo The Race to the Moon right now and they mentioned that due to the tremendous noise it would of generated, they were actually looking at someway to sea launch it. I found this article that explains it a bit more near the bottom of it. Even mentions that one concept studied was to launch it from hollowed out launch tubes in Hawaiian cliff sides?!?!? Quite the logistics nightmare to pull that one off. Anybody aware of this study and where it might be located? I also read the logistics chapter in Stages to Saturn. I'm not even sure they could of built NOVA as it seems the Saturn V really pushed them to the limits transporting all the different components to the assembly location.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/nova.htm

I have just recorded a doco on the History Channel called "The Saturn V Story" but I haven't watched it yet. Maybe they will mention these aspects.

Watched this last night, and it just reinforced my belief that the Saturn V, and particularly, the F1 engine, is an extraordinary feat of complex engineering. Truly awesome.

How anyone could see this and still think it was all faked defies all logic and reason.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
To anyone who has his / her eyes open, it's an awesome machine.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
How anyone could see this and still think it was all faked defies all logic and reason.

Here's your answer:
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »
It almost seems that it is religious to the HB's, but they may feel exactly the same towards us.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan