Author Topic: Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield Blunder On BBC About Going To The Moon  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
Here is the video:

I have looked the spin offs and water/oxygen recycling came from the Apollo Program. I think he was talking about Apollo as a major step to developing water and oxygen recycling that eventually led us to the moon. I could be mistaken since my english is not that good. Anyone has a better idea?

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield Blunder On BBC About Going To The Moon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
Here is the video:

I have looked the spin offs and water/oxygen recycling came from the Apollo Program. I think he was talking about Apollo as a major step to developing water and oxygen recycling that eventually led us to the moon. I could be mistaken since my english is not that good. Anyone has a better idea?
That's a very "cherry-picked" extract from the discussion.  If you want to hear the whole thing you can watch it on BBC iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06sg98k/stargazing-live-series-6-2-brit-in-space - if it's available in your country.  Jump to about 37:30 for the relevant section.

What he was talking about was using the ISS as a platform to learn how to survive for long periods in space, to develop the technologies needed to go back to the moon, and onwards to Mars.  The Apollo missions took all the consumables (air, water, food etc.) they needed for the short time they were in space.  Going back to the moon, we'll want to stay much longer, and eventually set up permanent bases, therefore we need to figure out how to recycle as much as possible.

Be very wary of any short clip from what's obviously a much longer interview or conversation, as they can easily be manipulated to promote any message you want to.  I dare say I could find clips of many prominent people, celebrities, politicians or whatever, which could be cut to make them sound like they were saying whatever I wanted.  It's extremely dishonest, but unfortunately a common practice...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »
Unfortunately, the video is not available in my country. But I agree with you, this is quote mining out of context.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
Unfortunately, the video is not available in my country. But I agree with you, this is quote mining out of context.
I can't open it either, but it may be my slow connection. (USA)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »
Looks like the beeb have been tightening up on non-UK access to iPlayer, which is a shame as there are a lot of good programs available.  I think you can use a proxy, but you might have to hunt around for one not on their banned list.

However, I'm sure the full interview will appear on Youtube at some point...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »
Looks like the beeb have been tightening up on non-UK access to iPlayer, which is a shame as there are a lot of good programs available.  I think you can use a proxy, but you might have to hunt around for one not on their banned list.

The Hola extension for Chrome works well for accessing BBC.  That's what I use to watch Doctor Who.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cpwja8qxjM
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

The Hola extension for Chrome works well for accessing BBC.  That's what I use to watch Doctor Who.
Great tip, works like a charm! Thanks Frenat :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »
Doesn't help that he looks like Basil Fawlty.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »

Doesn't help that he looks like Basil Fawlty.

Thank you!  I thought I was the only one who thought so!