Author Topic: Charlie Duke Family Photo  (Read 37375 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Charlie Duke Family Photo
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
..and there may well have been some impact from exposure to the sun.

Here's a better quality version that I've cropped:

Look on the ground to the right of the right hand edge - looks a little like where the photograph landed initially and then perhaps curled a little.

The person making the claim would also do well to look at all the other photographs in that magazine

Thanks! I missed your post somehow. It does look like it's been affected already.

That effect could simply have been from sitting squashed in a pocket in Duke's spacesuit for a few hours before he hauled it out.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »

Wait...you brought LERPS to the field? Intentionally?

I only had to depend on them once; when I was out at "Fort Wentwrong" in Alaska doing what they charitably called Winter Training. So basically you cut open this thick plastic bag full of cold, dry something-or-other, poured in hot water, waited twenty minutes...and proceeded to eat lukewarm, still dry, something-or-other.
FTFY
Gawk, don't use that term, it brought back memories that should be forever forgotten.  I've been told the newer models have better taste.  But then you should have tried the Korean War leftovers.
EDIT correcting meal names

Being Canadian, prior to 1980 the proper name was Individual Ration Pack(IRP) now changed to Individual Meal Pack(IMP). As for the quality and taste, I honestly thought they were pretty good for the most part. Never did any kind of winter training though thank god. lol. I did have a bad experience on one hiking trip we did. Having supper with only a small campfire for light, I opened a can of corned beef hash and dug into it very hungrily. Yeck! Damned thing was spoiled along with my appetite for the rest of the night. We had been warned to check the contents visually or by smell before eating but my hunger got the better of me.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »

Being Canadian, prior to 1980 the proper name was Individual Ration Pack(IRP) now changed to Individual Meal Pack(IMP). As for the quality and taste, I honestly thought they were pretty good for the most part. Never did any kind of winter training though thank god. lol. I did have a bad experience on one hiking trip we did. Having supper with only a small campfire for light, I opened a can of corned beef hash and dug into it very hungrily. Yeck! Damned thing was spoiled along with my appetite for the rest of the night. We had been warned to check the contents visually or by smell before eating but my hunger got the better of me.
Mine were in the early 70's, I can't remember the name before LERP which were much better than predecessors.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »
..and there may well have been some impact from exposure to the sun.

Here's a better quality version that I've cropped:

Look on the ground to the right of the right hand edge - looks a little like where the photograph landed initially and then perhaps curled a little.

The person making the claim would also do well to look at all the other photographs in that magazine

Thanks! I missed your post somehow. It does look like it's been affected already.

That effect could simply have been from sitting squashed in a pocket in Duke's spacesuit for a few hours before he hauled it out.

Indeed - the mark could just be where the already distorted photo hit the ground, but some curling from heat (from whatever source) could conceivably be an explanation.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 05:28:45 PM »
I've posted a couple responses to this guy with some points I think positively prove the landings happened and I haven't heard back from him since. One of those people who claim he used to believe in them and really wishes he could but the evidence against it is too overwhelming. Anyway, thanks for the help.

One of the strangest claims I can recall is someone pointing out that the Comet airplane had it's windows redesigned after it was proven that the original shape proved to be a factor in some of the crashes it experienced. Since the LM didn't have round or elliptical windows, that was all the proof he needed that the missions were faked. I explained to him that the LM wouldn't go through anywhere near as many pressurization/depressurization cycles as an airplane. I also showed him drawings of the support structure around the LM's windows compared to the typical airplane but of course it was all irrelevant to him. The fact that one of the windows blew out during a LM test and the cause was never found over-ruled everything else as far as he was concerned.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
I've posted a couple responses to this guy with some points I think positively prove the landings happened and I haven't heard back from him since. One of those people who claim he used to believe in them and really wishes he could but the evidence against it is too overwhelming. Anyway, thanks for the help.

One of the strangest claims I can recall is someone pointing out that the Comet airplane had it's windows redesigned after it was proven that the original shape proved to be a factor in some of the crashes it experienced. Since the LM didn't have round or elliptical windows, that was all the proof he needed that the missions were faked. I explained to him that the LM wouldn't go through anywhere near as many pressurization/depressurization cycles as an airplane. I also showed him drawings of the support structure around the LM's windows compared to the typical airplane but of course it was all irrelevant to him. The fact that one of the windows blew out during a LM test and the cause was never found over-ruled everything else as far as he was concerned.

It is amazing what the HB's will conjure up to "prove" the landings didn't occur.  Radiation is the biggest hurdle in my experience although one told me he was a retired engineer and could prove mathematically the missions were fake.  I told him that I had evidence outside NASA, thanks to Bob B. that they occurred.  Nothing from him since then.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »

IIRC correctly they did have a window problem with the LM in one of the vaccum chamber tests, one they never recreated or ever found a conclusive reason for happening. Such was the space race, and in particular the race for the Moon. Of course IIRC that was the window itself, not a structural failure of the support structure as in the case of the Comet. So the HBs using that is a case  of comparing apples and oranges times 2.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but has anyone ever attempted to contact Charlie Duke to ask him what kind of plastic bag the photo was in? 
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 09:03:09 PM »
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but has anyone ever attempted to contact Charlie Duke to ask him what kind of plastic bag the photo was in?
I attempted to contact Buzz Aldrin concerning a video that was posted on YouTube and have yet to receive a response.   I don't think they like being hounded by the public, even if it is in a reasonable question from a non-BB type individual.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
Why is the picture of a model cargo ship?

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »

Are we looking at the same picture?
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
I attempted to contact Buzz Aldrin concerning a video that was posted on YouTube and have yet to receive a response.   I don't think they like being hounded by the public, even if it is in a reasonable question from a non-BB type individual.

I presumed that there may be some members of the forum here who have connections to the space program, and might have a back channel.

It's not unreasonable, as I once worked for a startup aerospace company, and we had a shuttle astronaut on our board, whom I met and conversed with several times. Nice fellow.

You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »

All day yesterday the cropped image was that of a ship.  Today it's gone back to the Duke family.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »

All day yesterday the cropped image was that of a ship.  Today it's gone back to the Duke family.

What have you been smoking? :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 03:21:26 AM »
Never smoked anything.