Author Topic: christmas  (Read 5557 times)

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
christmas
« on: December 25, 2013, 06:31:37 AM »
Apollo 8

JohnB

Sloop

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum JohnB.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
That's a cute xkcd cartoon that I hadn't seen. But what's that spike in the infrared in the blackbody spectrum from the fireplace? Is there one for carbon dioxide or water or something?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:26:18 AM by ka9q »

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »
thanks Echnaton'
I'm sure I was here before but got lost.
Like KA9Q I'd like to know what the spectral spike is.

JohnB

Sloop

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
by the way, chaps and chapesses!
Got a telescope for christmas!
And a bottle of Back Bottle in its new Black Bottle! Gonnae savour that.

JohnB

Sloop

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »
The cartoon doesn't say, but I am with KA9Q.  It's the fireplace. 

No astronomy goodies for me.  I did get a new hiking cloths for my recently slimmed frame and  a new daypack with waterproof pockets for stowing phones and key fobs.  And a Dr Who, weeping angel T-shirt.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »
I got two pieces of fleece with which to make pants for Simon! 

Okay, Graham got me a RiffTrax disc for Yule, but literally the only present at his family's Christmas with just my name on it was the fleece.  His mom also gave us some food items labeled for me and Graham.  His sister admitted that her present was really just for Graham (a book of hot sauce recipes), but she has also lived out of the state (country, even) most of the time Graham and I have been together, so she barely knows me.  She says she thinks I'll find the book amusing, even if I'm not interested in making my own hot sauce.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »
 I got hug from my brother, who (whom?- what's correct Gillianren?) I've known for 58 of his 67 years.

He's never done that - Best.  Present.  Ever.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »
Among lots of chocolate and seasons 2, 3 and 4 of "The Tudors", I got Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guide to Life of Earth", eh! I've skimmed a few pages and already found some interesting insights. He's a good writer (or he's got a good editor!).
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
I got hug from my brother, who (whom?- what's correct Gillianren?) I've known for 58 of his 67 years.

"Whom."

I did have a lovely chat with Graham's sister, who made an inordinate fuss over her new nephew.  She lives in Sweden, and she and her whatever-he-is (their legal status doesn't exist in the US) were here because he had to do something for school or work or whatever.  He's doing it in San Jose, but he had two weeks off for Christmas, so they drove up here to be with the family for Christmas.  She actually gave Simon my favourite of his presents--a large stuffed carrot that's as big as he is.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
gillianren.
  I didn't get the opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your son. So here's to you, your partner and the boy.
Simon is a great name.

JohnB

Sloop

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
Oh, thank you.  We didn't make too much fuss over Baby's First Holiday Season, because he doesn't know what's going on and won't remember it anyway.  We still did have a pretty good time, though.