Author Topic: Jack Schmitt chimes in as a global warming skeptic  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Jack Schmitt chimes in as a global warming skeptic
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
From an article In Defense of Carbon Dioxide by Harrison Schmitt and William Happer in today's Wall Street Journal.  Also available here.  I bring it up only because Schmitt is an author.

The cessation of observed global warming for the past decade or so has shown how exaggerated NASA's and most other computer predictions of human-caused warming have been—and how little correlation warming has with concentrations of atmospheric carbon dioxide. As many scientists have pointed out, variations in global temperature correlate much better with solar activity and with complicated cycles of the oceans and atmosphere. There isn't the slightest evidence that more carbon dioxide has caused more extreme weather.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
Re: Jack Schmitt chimes in as a global warming skeptic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
That's not exactly news - he's been at it at least since 2009. Wikipedia has links to some of his previous articles.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
Interesting. If he was part of the Apollo Hoax, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to say :

"You can't trust NASA, and this is how I know."
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Well, if you really want to make a difference on carbondioxide emissions, why don't you start with the south east Asia peat fires? Just a few billion litres of water could reduce the world's emission by 1/4.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
Current worldwide human CO2 emissions are about 30,000,000,000,000 (3x1013) kg/year. That's 30 billion tonnes/year or nearly 1,000 tonnes/second, a bit more than can be explained by southeast Asian peat fires. The daily average CO2 concentration at Mauna Loa just hit 400 ppm (0.04%) for the first time.

Schmitt's denial of global warming is a disappointment. So was his support for the "flag burning" amendment some years ago. Obviously his politics are pretty right wing.

But he does demonstrate that NASA "insiders" can take public stances that differ from the "party line" and survive...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:15:10 AM by ka9q »