Author Topic: Last Man on the Moon documentary  (Read 4480 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Last Man on the Moon documentary
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »
Saw this yesterday:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/08/last-man-on-moon-documentary-eugene-cernan

and can't recommend it highly enough. It is funny, informative, absorbing and at times very moving as a man reflects on the time he spent doing important things and the human cost of it all. Some of the CGI and 3D rendering of Apollo images is really top notch.

My high opinion of the film is probably helped by Gene Cernan being involved in the Q&A session afterwards, and the standing ovation he got as he came in was wonderful.

He was an absolute gentleman, very humble, and very accommodating to all the people who were desperate to get a photo or a handshake (including me!).

Oh, and thanks to it being on a big screen I spotted that in AS17-140-21390 you can see Earth over the South Massif, reflected in Gene's visor:

(I've reversed it there to show it properly and checked in Stellarium).

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Last Man on the Moon documentary
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
Looks great.  I check it out at home when I can get to a computer that doesn't choke on YouTube. 

His book was great, insightful, witty and and as personal about his failings as his triumphs. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Last Man on the Moon documentary
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
Saw this yesterday:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/08/last-man-on-moon-documentary-eugene-cernan

It's a pity the writer said this in two places: He is the only person to have descended to the moon in a lunar module twice.

Yes, Gene Cernan descended from lunar orbit in a lunar module twice, but no, he didn't land twice, as readers might infer from this statement.  His first descent, in the Apollo 10 lunar module to a minimum height of 7.8 nautical miles above the lunar surface, was a partial dress-rehearsal for the real thing that was done by Armstrong and Aldrin in Apollo 11.

Could any UK folk here persuade him to make a correction?

This sort of thing is going to happen more and more as Apollo fades further into the past, and fewer and fewer people actually understand what went on.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)