Author Topic: The Race to Space documentary DVD  (Read 10823 times)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
Re: The Race to Space documentary DVD
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
I understand Das Boot was voiced in English by the Das Boot actors rather than dubbed by other voice actors? Either way, I think it is best in German having tried to watch a TV version that was in English. Superb film anyway.

Now, 70's Kung Fu flicks, worth it for the lip sync alone.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »
I've usually watched it in German with subtitles, but the English dubbing of Das Boot is considerably better than average. I think that's because both the German and English versions were dubbed by the original actors, all of whom were bilingual. The German version had to be dubbed because the on-set sound was unusably noisy.

But I do agree it was jarring to watch the German version and hearing the British sailors shouting for help in English. It reminds you whose side these guys were on.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
Yes, they were on the german side. But mostly, they tried to survive - not only the sea and war. If they dared to speak out against the nazi regime, it was a short walk to the nearest gallows. Many germans were executed for defatism.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.