Author Topic: LM Ascent Engine in lunar gravity  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
LM Ascent Engine in lunar gravity
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
Would the fact that the LM Ascent Engine only operated in lunar gravity have been simulated in testing here on Earth? Was such testing possible? Was it necessary to test such effects? Or would the lower gravity have had negligible effects on the engine's operation?

I was thinking in particular of the process of propellents flowing from the tanks to the combustion chamber. Or was the fact that the tanks were pressurised sufficient to ensure that they flowed at a reliable and predictable rate?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Online Allan F

• Saturn
Re: LM Ascent Engine in lunar gravity
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
The pressure in the tanks were necessarily equal to the chamber pressure of the engine - around 15 atm iirc. The pressure difference from the fuel relative to gravity would be much less than one atm

Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
It was given a bit of a workout by Apollo 9 - does that count?

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:04:28 PM »

It was given a bit of a workout by Apollo 9 - does that count?

And 5 as well.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »
Gravity head was negligible.  In fact, with the LM in an upright orientation, the engine injector was about level with the top of the propellant tanks, thus there would be essentially no gravity flow to the engine.  Propellant flow was provided entirely by pressurized helium.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
Gravity head was negligible.  In fact, with the LM in an upright orientation, the engine injector was about level with the top of the propellant tanks, thus there would be essentially no gravity flow to the engine.  Propellant flow was provided entirely by pressurized helium.

What were the advatages of using helium tanks, was it another case of reducing the number of moving parts to save weight and reduce failure risks?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Online Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
Simplicity - and weight reduction.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »

Now that I think about it a bit more, I think the system probably worked better on the Moon.  Since most of the propellant was positioned below the elevation of the injector, it had to be lifted up to the engine.  This requires less work in the low gravity of the Moon (or under the low acceleration of the LM in flight above the Moon). 

What were the advatages of using helium tanks, was it another case of reducing the number of moving parts to save weight and reduce failure risks?

A pressure fed system is obviously a simpler and more reliable system.  With no turbines or pumps there are few fewer moving parts to fail.  However, a pressure fed system can weigh more than a pump fed system.  In a pumped system only the pumps and downstream piping must be rated for high pressure.  The tanks themselves are pressurized to fairly lower pressure, perhaps only a couple atmospheres.  However, when there are no pumps to boost the pressure, the entire system must be pressurized to a pressure high enough to push the propellant out of the tanks, through the piping, and into the combustion chamber.  The tanks must withstand a pressure of perhaps 10 to 20 atmospheres, which means a thicker wall and more weight.  There is also the weight of the pressurization system.  I imagine there must be a break even point were the increased weight of the propellant/pressurization system is exactly balanced by weight savings realized by the elimination of the turbopump machinery.  I don't know on which side of that break even point the LM's system fell.

As far as the use of helium, versus some other gas, is concerned, I can think of a couple reasons.  First, helium is inert and won't react with either the fuel or oxidizer.  Second, it is lightweight.  For example, in comparison to nitrogen (a likely alternative gas), helium has only 1/7th the mass at a given temperature and pressure.  There are likely other reasons for using helium that I haven't thought of.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:55:06 PM by Bob B. »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
There may be differences in propellant solubility between helium and nitrogen (or argon).

Helium will remain a gas at the boiling point of any other material, but I don't know of any pressure-fed cryogenic propulsion systems.

There is one important drawback to helium, aside from its high cost: it tends to diffuse through everything.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:22 AM »
They needed the helium to raise the pitch of the astronaut voices. That way, they'd sound natural when they slowed the film down  8)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 01:51:52 AM »
They needed the helium to raise the pitch of the astronaut voices. That way, they'd sound natural when they slowed the film down  8)
Well played sir! ;D
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
I know it's a joke, but, um actually, it wouldn't work...