Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 420870 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #915 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
At the risk of bugging you even more, watch this series of 9 videos...

No.  If we wanted to watch YouTube videos we'd be at YouTube.  Explain in your own words.  We don't care about your expressions of belief in other people.

I haven't said I believe him, but unless you know what his videos show, you cannot have an informed comment and you cannot argue against their content...It can pay to keep an open mind.

Who claims we didn't?

I've seen Jarah videos.  I've spent time examining them.  I've read long posts by him, also; I've seen him given a chance to develop his arguments at length.

He has shown himself repeatedly to be willing to lie.  This doesn't mean every statement from him must be a lie; even the stopped clock is right twice.  It mostly means that there is a recognized diminished point of returns; every new statement he makes has the most chance of turning out to be similar to a mistake, omission, or obfuscation he has made in the past, and very little chance of being something actually worthwhile.

And a subtler point.

Jarah is not here.  He is not here to explain his reasoning. 

YOU are here.  This is a discussion board.  A science-oriented discussion board.  The only useful thing you have to bring to the table is your own thoughts...not hearsay on what you believe Jarah was up to, or some indirect, "why don't all of you go over there and have some other discussion with someone else?"

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #916 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
I haven't said I believe him...

But you clearly do.

...but unless you know what his videos show, you cannot have an informed comment and you cannot argue against their content...It can pay to keep an open mind.

Who says I don't know what his videos show?  I'm not going to debate them with you, here.  If you have no original thought, and must simply regurgitate what others have told you, then why do you deserve attention for your ability to copypaste a link?  Jarrah White had the opportunity to debate me in person, tried for a while, then retreated in shame to his little walled garden at YouTube.  He was invited to present his findings to qualified professionals, and didn't even acknowlege the request.  I debated David Percy until he similarly retreated.

If your sources won't submit to civil debate, why do you think I'm going to pay attention to you when you cite them.  You're an irrelevant third party.  An you don't have an open mind.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #917 on: February 06, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
At the risk of bugging you even more, watch this series of 9 videos and then see if the term "using a wire" makes more sense  ;):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7A98D401BB7B21A4

It is a selection of ad-hominem attacks on his opponents....and very much concentrating on John Young's Navy Salute jump. One of the really mad claims.....regarding how high he jumps as being insufficient....whilst being on wires. Go figure that one out. When you are done with the other videos taking apart your claim....I can put up at least half a dozen more...equally dismissive of your claims.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #918 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
No, I'm not admitting he lies. 
You don't have to admit he lies. Regardless of your opinion, he is a proven liar. It matters not a whit what you think.

You have already stated that that you think he a liar, so as you seem to know how to tell the difference between lies and truth, it should be easy for you to seperate one from the other when watching his videos.
It is. And?
Surely your not afraid to watch them in case you realise he might be actually be talking more truth than you can handle?
Again, I have watched them. Lies, Damned lies and a complete lack of understanding of statistics. I could watch them yet again, but you would have to pay me.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #919 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »
Can anyone smell something?

Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #920 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
Ya know...if Jarrah is so sure he is correct, then why can't he come here and debate it?

Sounds like he's the one that's "afraid" of rational discussion on a level "playing field".

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #921 on: February 06, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Ya know...if Jarrah is so sure he is correct, then why can't he come here and debate it?

Sounds like he's the one that's "afraid" of rational discussion on a level "playing field".

I'd pay to see that. I really would.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #922 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
Surely your not afraid to watch them in case you realise he might be actually be talking more truth than you can handle?

Oh, please.  Jarrah White has repeatedly demonstrated he can't handle himself in a debate that he can't control.  Plus he demonstrates an almost sick fixation on certain of his critics.  He is not "feared" because he's just that "good."  He's ignored because he's just that much of a crackpot.

You don't get to simply regurgitate his nonsense here because it's a fundamentally dishonest way to try to prove a point.  You won't take a stand on whether he's trustworthy, whether he's an expert, or whether you believe in him.  That's so you can disavow any obligation to defend him or his claims.  Yet you seem to think we're on the hook to refute him simply because you lazily copypaste a link to his tired, long-debunked videos.  If you won't take the obligation to advocate for him, you don't get to impose an obligation on others to refute him simply because you mention him.

If you think he dishes out "more truth than [we] can handle," then man up and defend him at your expense.  Your passive-aggressive nonsense doesn't hold water around here.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #923 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
Why is it that HB's assume that everyone else is as ignorant as they are?
Because that's the only way they can justify their own ignorance.

Offline ProfessorAlfB

• Mercury
« Reply #924 on: February 06, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
Quote from: Mag40
ATS....ProfessorAlfB: "No, the Apollo footage is already slowed down...You need to speed it up to about twice the speed to see how it would have actually looked. We also know that the Astronauts were suspended from overhead cables to simulate being 1/6th as heavy as on Earth, and there is certainly firm video evidence for this.
Therefore you can easily fake 1/6th gravity, right here on Earth!"

Do you care to defend this? Surely you aren't relying on David Percy again......he is a bit of a liar to say the least!

"Here is 100% proof that Hoax film makers manipulate the footage to give a false impression. A small cherry picked jump from a corrupt businessman trying to make his film sell."

ATS....ProfessorAlfB:
Actually, according to Jarrah White the the Apollo footage has been slowed by 33%, NOT by 50%...He makes a compelling case:

What is it with HBs.....you completely sidestepped my post....in favour of some duff argument by the infamous Jarrah White! Now be a good fellow and respond properly.....as your case is untenable.

Jarrah White postulates that the speed is 66% of Earth....whilst isolating a 3 second clip to reinforce his claim....and you just contradicted your previous claim when it is shown to be rubbish.

Did you even watch his video?...Because that is not what it states!  He clearly states the original Apollo footage was slowed down by 33%, which is 66% of its ORIGINAL SPEED.

Okay, let's try another piece of film. I came across this one....and it is something that single handedly buries your whole argument. Get ready to sidestep another post.

Here is a 10 minute segment from Apollo 15....where they dig a small trench in the lunar regolith -

Here is the same segment adjusted by 2.45 times to show the regolith falling with 9.8m s²

2.45x???  That is way faster than Jarrah shows in his video and therefore its obviously based on fraudulent information.  It is clearly a pathetically clumsy attempt to try and prove that Hoax believers are all mistaken fools, yet you post a link to it here as though it were factual?  And you have the cheek to call Jarrah a liar!

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #925 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
Can anyone smell something?

My Wife has started calling them sock puppies....I don't know why. :)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #926 on: February 06, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
2.45x???  That is way faster than Jarrah shows in his video and therefore its obviously based on fraudulent information.

That is the proper ratio for mimicking Moon gravity on Earth. It is the square root of the ratios of the surface gravity of two bodies.

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #927 on: February 06, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
And you have the cheek to call Jarrah a liar!

He is and it's easily provable.

Also, please learn how to use the quotation marks.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #928 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Mag40
ATS....ProfessorAlfB: "No, the Apollo footage is already slowed down...You need to speed it up to about twice the speed to see how it would have actually looked. We also know that the Astronauts were suspended from overhead cables to simulate being 1/6th as heavy as on Earth, and there is certainly firm video evidence for this.
Therefore you can easily fake 1/6th gravity, right here on Earth!"

Do you care to defend this? Surely you aren't relying on David Percy again......he is a bit of a liar to say the least!

"Here is 100% proof that Hoax film makers manipulate the footage to give a false impression. A small cherry picked jump from a corrupt businessman trying to make his film sell."

ATS....ProfessorAlfB:
Actually, according to Jarrah White the the Apollo footage has been slowed by 33%, NOT by 50%...He makes a compelling case:

What is it with HBs.....you completely sidestepped my post....in favour of some duff argument by the infamous Jarrah White! Now be a good fellow and respond properly.....as your case is untenable.

Jarrah White postulates that the speed is 66% of Earth....whilst isolating a 3 second clip to reinforce his claim....and you just contradicted your previous claim when it is shown to be rubbish.

Did you even watch his video?...Because that is not what it states!  He clearly states the original Apollo footage was slowed down by 33%, which is 66% of its ORIGINAL SPEED.

Okay, let's try another piece of film. I came across this one....and it is something that single handedly buries your whole argument. Get ready to sidestep another post.

Here is a 10 minute segment from Apollo 15....where they dig a small trench in the lunar regolith -

Here is the same segment adjusted by 2.45 times to show the regolith falling with 9.8m s²

2.45x???  That is way faster than Jarrah shows in his video and therefore its obviously based on fraudulent information.  It is clearly a pathetically clumsy attempt to try and prove that Hoax believers are all mistaken fools, yet you post a link to it here as though it were factual?  And you have the cheek to call Jarrah a liar!
Are you seriously claiming that while use of the quote function is beyond your grasp, you simultaneously can grasp the science of Apollo? Really?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #929 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
2.45x???  That is way faster than Jarrah shows in his video and therefore its obviously based on fraudulent information.

No, that's how much you have to speed the video up to make the stuff appear to fall at the correct rate for something filmed on Earth. What Jarrah says is beside the point.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain