Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 352992 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #885 on: October 08, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »
Clowns purposely set out to amuse and entertain.

And even though they remain in character during their performance, they acknowledge elsewhere it's just a character and just a performance.  They don't try to claim they really have big feet and large red noses.  Nor do their acts trample upon the graves of accomplished men recently deceased -- in Onizuka's case, in the line of duty.

Nor is Burns' book the least bit entertaining.  As I wrote initially, it's a painfully tedious recitation of an unremarkable life, populated by flat caricatures, and punctuated only by pompous exaggerations of the author's prowess.  As putative fact it has been proven to be a deliberate fabrication.  As fiction it simply sucks.

Burns does it by dint of being stupid and obtuse.

And downright distasteful.  As I mentioned, if he had stuck to distant historical figures for his ghost stories, practically no one would care whether they were true.  Where instead he deals with the recently dead and with historical events within most people's memories and -- in some cases -- squarely within some people's occupational and professional expertise, running around calling those people liars and frauds is just not funny.  Burns is a "clown" with no talent at it, and no sense of humor.

People who fear obscurity more than ridicule have no problem being laughed at and scorned, so long as that attention is directed at them.  Fringe claimants don't care that their critics ridicule them.  They revel in it, wrongly believing that everyone sees them the way they see themselves, and see the critics as sheeple who are being rightly ruffled by these "new" ideas.  Once you propose to write off criticism and refutation as merely "emotional" responses to having been exposed to fringe claims, you can justify ignoring its content.

Both he and his bestest buddy in the whole world have logged in today, no doubt to congratulate themselves.

Of course.  I didn't expect them to be able stay away for long.  Someone with Burns' bottomless ego can't abide for long the notion that someone might be talking about him.  They'll continue lurking for quite some time, congratulating themselves on having generated so much ridicule.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #886 on: October 08, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
Oh no! Armstrong's ghost has been transferred to your car engine so now it will only go one-sixth its previous speed.

But, only if you half the playback speed... no wait, add 50% to the film in Sony Vegas. No, hang on, that's wrong too. You increase the film speed by 1.5, then reduce it to 67% and then compare it to the original. Oh wait, you add wires too, as that was always the hoax theory.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:29:57 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #887 on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
LOL! Good one, but aren't you worried it might foul your oil or clog your filter with woo-gunk?

Nah.   I use this..

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #888 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Consider that both Jockndoris and Skeptic_UK are lurking the forum at least once a day, I doubt we'll get anything more from them except the usual dreck.  Neither of them seems to want to stand by their claims beyond repeating them.

Hey. You told me to stop posting so I took a break, that doesn't mean I'm not going to check the forums other posts occasionally. When I do stop posting at your request you then moan how I've stopped posting! Make your mind up man.

I did enjoy the posts about Arthur C. Clarke. I found an interesting website page about when he first came up with the idea of geostationary orbits, which might interest some of you (oh no maybe I'm in cahoots with it's author!).

http://lakdiva.org/clarke/1945ww/

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #889 on: October 20, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Nobody told you to stop posting.

People told you to document your claims and stop lying.

edit: I see what happened there. You stopped lying by stopping posting.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #890 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
Make your mind up man.

Try to post just once without whining about how badly you think you've been treated.

I did enjoy the posts about Arthur C. Clarke.

You mean about how your author Neil Burns is completely ignorant of the well-known founding works of "natural philosophy" (physics)?  And how he was utterly unable to substantiate his claims about studying "Clarke's equations" in his mathematics classes?

Are you here to fill those shoes and answer those questions?  If not, then why are you here?

I found an interesting website page about when he first came up with the idea of geostationary orbits, which might interest some of you (oh no maybe I'm in cahoots with it's author!).

Yeah, that's a well known page.  And it describes how its author believes Clarke came up with geostationary satellites.  That's not the same as geostationary orbits.  Still a red herring.  The notion of a practical geostationary radio relay is the only contribution Clarke made to the field of orbital motion, and it was simply to connect two pre-existing concepts.  He didn't invent either one.  The only equations he supplies have nothing to do with orbits, and he got one of them wrong.  Geostationary orbits have almost nothing to do with the orbital methods for navigating to the Moon, so it still has no bearing whatsoever on Burns' claims that travel to the Moon is impossible.

I repeat my question.  Why are you here?  Are you now arguing that Burns' scientific claims, irrespective of ghosts, have merit?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #891 on: October 21, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »
I doubt we'll get anything more from them except the usual dreck. 

the usual dreck

Q.E.D.

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #892 on: July 28, 2015, 06:14:46 AM »
Apollo 11 Customs Entry – Positive proof at last

This must be what you chaps have been waiting for  !!

It is the a copy of the Customs entry form declaring the Moon Dust which the three
Apollo 11 astronauts brought back from the Moon when they cleared them as SAMPLES through Customs in Honolulu on 24 July 1969.

It is even signed by the Customs inspector    Ernest J Imara.

I can confirm that the three signatures match even after all these years !

What more proof could any sceptic require?

Jockndoris

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #893 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »

It is the a copy of the Customs entry form declaring the Moon Dust which the three
Apollo 11 astronauts brought back from the Moon when they cleared them as SAMPLES through Customs in Honolulu on 24 July 1969.

Jockndoris

Ahh..Neil Burns returns. I'm still waiting for that Sky News revelation that you promised last year. Still not prepared to admit that you cocked that one up spectacularly?

Regarding the custom declaration...have you managed to check the dates?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #894 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »

Jockndoris

Not sure why you think this proves a hoax. The astronauts were picked up in the Pacific and then taken to Pearl Harbor. It's a bureaucratic nicety, but they'd obviously have to declare any potentially dangerous substances when entering the US.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #895 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »

Not really,
why have you posted this here? What exactly do you think it 'proves'?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #896 on: July 28, 2015, 06:45:49 AM »
Not sure why you think this proves a hoax. The astronauts were picked up in the Pacific and then taken to Pearl Harbor. It's a bureaucratic nicety, but they'd obviously have to declare any potentially dangerous substances when entering the US.

You beat me to it. Jockndoris:

Search Apollo 11 Wikipedia, follow the hyperlink to their splash down co-ordinates, view the Google map, and you'll see that they splashed down right next to Hawaii. That took me all of 2 minutes. Carry out a quick search to find out that the crew were taken to Pearl Harbour. They would have been required to declare the Moon samples, and if you knew the first thing about lunar soil, you would know that it in hindsight it was a perfectly reasonable request as it does cause problems with the respiratory system. Care to explain why that might be the case?

I think this would be more damning if the date was 23 July 1969, and the three crew were declaring 600 Lucky Strike and 3 bottles of Jim Beam.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #897 on: July 28, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »
This is from a gentleman who self-publishes the digital version of the Penny Dreadful, in which he claims to talk to ghosts......We aren't really expecting any sort of sensible answer, now are we?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
This is from a gentleman who self-publishes the digital version of the Penny Dreadful, in which he claims to talk to ghosts......We aren't really expecting any sort of sensible answer, now are we?

We are guaranteed nonsense and irrelevance. Always...

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #899 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm sorry. Is this for real? Surely it is a bad joke.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"