Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864697 times)

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1500 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
Hang on Jason, you mean to tell me the asstronuts didnt use the LES to leave the CSM and be flown in total secrecy to Area 51? The mind boggles. Why didnt Jarrah inform me of this??
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1501 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
The poor things are being hunted to extinction by the Sasquatch.  Something must be done. 

A local beer company is offering $1,000,000 for a capture of Sasquatch.  Of course, I believe they actually have a million dollars, unlike Heiwa's imaginary Euros.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1502 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
Well it continues to throw me. I still have absolutely no idea what the Launch Escape System was actually used for.

It was fastened into the CM docking probe apparatus and pulled the CM free in case the Saturn V exploded.  Consider it has to be powerful enough to outrun an exploding Saturn V.  That should give you an indication of the potential g-forces the crew would have experienced.

I've mentioned before that my friend Chris was working as an engineer on the Orion LES, and they were using the Apollo-Saturn LES as an example (since the company he works for was the original LES contractor).  He was working from full-scale original drawings of the LES from their archives.  Those who say the "plans for the Saturn V don't exist anymore" don't really realize what "the plans" consist of.  I'd be hard-pressed today to find a machine that could copy or digitize the drawings we were looking at.

Moon Machines has some footage of the (in)famous Little Joe test, where the rocket actually suffered an unexpected guidance failure and added some spice to the test.  It's probably YouTubable.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Hal

• Mercury
« Reply #1503 on: April 24, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
The designers of the Soviet LES for the N1 had to take some consolation from the fact that they successfully 'saved' the dummy capsules from the first two launch failures.  According to Wikipedia, the third N1 launch vehicle wasn't fitted with an LES, but the article isn't clear whether it was present for the fourth.  Since that last flight lasted almost 107s, would the LES have still been viable, anyway?

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1504 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
Well it continues to throw me. I still have absolutely no idea what the Launch Escape System was actually used for.

It was fastened into the CM docking probe apparatus and pulled the CM free in case the Saturn V exploded.  Consider it has to be powerful enough to outrun an exploding Saturn V.  That should give you an indication of the potential g-forces the crew would have experienced.

I think I remember hearing Jim Lovell say during an interview that you really didn't want to use the LES because you would be pulling about 20 g for a few seconds.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1505 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »

I think I remember hearing Jim Lovell say during an interview that you really didn't want to use the LES because you would be pulling about 20 g for a few seconds.

That is much the same level of "G" as a typical "zero-zero" rocket powered ejection seat.

The F-111 used to eject the whole cockpit/crew module with pilots still inside, but the "G" forces were much lower. I witnessed this personally in 1979 when a RAAF F-111 crashed on takeoff at Ohakea AFB.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:40:41 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Online Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1506 on: April 24, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

Moon Machines has some footage of the (in)famous Little Joe test, where the rocket actually suffered an unexpected guidance failure and added some spice to the test.  It's probably YouTubable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeJzItldSQ
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1507 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
On September 26, 1983 the LES on a Soyuz rocket saved the 2-man crew from a pad fire prior to launch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_T-10-1

I've always been amused by the reaction of the military spectators at 0:38.  "Yeah, oh well..."
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #1508 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
Don't forget the giant slugs.

And tree octopus!

The poor things are being hunted to extinction by the Sasquatch.  Something must be done.

OK, I'm on it! (goes off to kill all the Sasquatch)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1509 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »

I've mentioned before that my friend Chris was working as an engineer on the Orion LES, and they were using the Apollo-Saturn LES as an example (since the company he works for was the original LES contractor).  He was working from full-scale original drawings of the LES from their archives.  Those who say the "plans for the Saturn V don't exist anymore" don't really realize what "the plans" consist of.  I'd be hard-pressed today to find a machine that could copy or digitize the drawings we were looking at.

Full-scale? Did all parts have this?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1510 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Don't forget the giant slugs.

And tree octopus!

OK, I'm on it! (goes off to kill all the Sasquatch)

Wait for me.  I've got my 12 gauge and .30-06 loaded.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1511 on: April 24, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
A quick question:

We know Apollo 17 landed at (appx)  20.2 N Latitude, 30.8 E Longitude.

The ALSEP antenna orientation page from the LMPs cuff checklist looks like this:

Does anyone know why they would have listed the numbers with the decimal shifted one place to the left?

BTW, this is pursuant to an ongoing battle with Hunchbacked ignorance.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1512 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
In conspiretard-world, nobody ever makes misteaks.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1513 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
In conspiretard-world, nobody ever makes misteaks.
Except when they reveal the conspiracy, but would be incredibly stupid to make, like crosshairs being obstructed by composition errors, or forgetting to dig a crater under the "LEM", or add stars to the sky.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1514 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
Dont forget using wires set up off centre, 16mm faked to look like video, and coke bottles rolling across the set in all their illegible 320 line glory.

PS I had to chuckle: a few minutes after Jay described the LES/Little Joe tests, I was going through re-compiling all the Skylab footage I have on various DVDs. After the one section I was working on had finished rendering, I see the title pop up for the next film...Little Joe!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:02:27 PM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"