Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 863145 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #840 on: January 05, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »

What actually happens is that the re-entering body pushes a cushion/shockwave of air, which heats due to compression, turning into ionized gas/plasma. The majority of the energy of re-entry is spent heating atmospheric air. The purpose of the heat shield is to prevent this superheated envelope from destroying the spacecraft.

Did Apollo 11 push a cushion or shockwave of air in front of it while trying to keep the trim angle right while flying up/down in the atmosphere? And only this cushion of air heats up and turns into ionized gas/plasma.
Have this strange phenomenom been tested in a laboratory or air tunnel test installation? Pls provide some evidence. I have a feeling you are just making it up SF style.

I believe so. Then it was tested by launching dummy warheads in the late 50's. Eisenhower conducted a speech from the Oval Office with a test article that had been successfully launched and returned sitting next to him.
That's a problem for heiwa. If re-entry cannot be accomplished then there are no nuclear weapons.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #841 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »
Let me after about 785 posts remind you about topic, i.e. my Challenge about safety of space travel and associated fuel consumption...
You did your calculation wrong; you don't understand how to do it right.
You have to demonstrate how to travel to the Moon and back to win the prize (€1M)...
There is no prize; you do not have the money to offer.  You are lying and your "prize" is fraudulent.
Pls do not suggest that I do not know anything about space travel, astrophysics,
I do not suggest it; I state it as a fact.  You can't even identify the SPS engine correctly; you had no idea how any of the vehicles might turn themselves; you were completely unaware of the existence of heat shielding on Apollo and the Shuttle (and by extension everything else); you thought the Shuttle reentered backwards; you are unable to formulate a simple energy balance; you do not grasp the concept of terminal velocity.  That's just a short sampler or your ignorance and incompetence.

I will say it again, clearly: You do not know anything about space travel or astrophysics. 

You can't even get the name of the discipline right: the one you're fumbling for is astrodynamics.  You don't know anything about that either.
that I am broke,
Straw man.  No one has suggested you are broke.  Please don't think we don't notice when you try to lay down such a smokescreen.
a criminal that cannot carry out my work, etc, etc, because it is clear from link in post #1 what I am doing for a living.
I haven't looked at anything to do with you and "safety at sea" because I don't care.  However, you manifestly cannot carry out any work related to space flight; you don't know anything about it and you don't grasp even the most elementary principles.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #842 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
Did Apollo 11 push a cushion or shockwave of air in front of it while trying to keep the trim angle right while flying up/down in the atmosphere? And only this cushion of air heats up and turns into ionized gas/plasma. Have this strange phenomenom been tested in a laboratory or air tunnel test installation? Pls provide some evidence. I have a feeling you are just making it up SF style.

Geez. This blunt body wind tunnel photograph is in every book about the history of space exploration:

The only way you could not have seen it is if you had never opened a book about space exploration.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #843 on: January 05, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
Say that your space ship has mass 32 676 kg excluding fuel and that you must slow down from 2 400 to 1 500 m/s velocity to insert into Moon orbit. Your space ship has a P-22 KS rocket engine with 97 400 N thrust (at full blast). How much fuel do you require to carry out the braking maneuver?

If you suggest, e.g. 10 898 kg, you must support your answer with proper calculations to win the prize (€1M). I have a feeling you need >80 000 kg.

Heiwa, putting aside the fact that your methods and calculations are complete buffoonery, let’s at least get your numbers and facts straight.

Say that your space ship has mass 32 676 kg excluding fuel

32,676 kg was not the mass “excluding fuel”.  It was the CSM/LM mass at LOI cutoff, which still included a large amount of unused propellant.  I must congratulate, however, in that this is one of the few numbers you got right.  According to this source, the mass was 72,037.6 lbm, or 32,675.7 kg.

you must slow down from 2 400 to 1 500 m/s velocity to insert into Moon orbit

No, those velocities are incorrect.  From this source we see that Apollo 11’s velocity at LOI ignition was 8,250.0 ft/s (2,514.6 m/s) and at LOI cutoff was 5,479.0 ft/s (1,670.0 m/s).

The cutoff velocity can also be confirmed using orbital mechanics, as it is simply the orbital velocity at that point.  We see that Apollo 11’s orbit at LOI cutoff was 60 n.mi. x 169.7 n.mi, and that the altitude at LOI cutoff was 60.1 n.mi.  I’m not going to show the math, but the velocity at an altitude of 60.1 n.mi. in a 60 x 169.7 n.mi. orbit is in fact 1,670 m/s.

Furthermore, your quoted numbers suggest that the delta-v was 2400 – 1500 = 900 m/s.  This again is incorrect.  From the same source was see that the velocity change was 2,917.5 ft/s, or 889.25 m/s, which is the delta-v imparted by the SPS.

Why is the delta-v not simply the initial velocity minus final velocity, i.e. 2,514.6 – 1,670.0 = 844.6 m/s?  This is because the spacecraft was also changing altitude during the burn – Apollo 11’s altitude at LOI ignition was 86.7 n.mi.  The drop in altitude caused a positive change in velocity (resulting from potential energy converting to kinetic energy) at the same time the propulsion system was slowing Apollo down.  For this reason, the amount of delta-v delivered by the propulsion system is more than the actual apparent change in velocity.

This is another reason, Heiwa, that your attempted energy balance fails so miserably, you’ve completely ignored changes in potential energy resulting the spacecraft’s change in altitude.  An energy balance must account for all energy, kinetic + potential, and must account for all system elements, spacecraft dry mass + fuel/exhaust mass.

Fortunately, the entire problem is more easily and correctly solved in terms of momentum using Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.  In this case we need not even know the initial and final velocities.  All we need to know is the delta-v, which is 889.25 m/s

Your space ship has a P-22 KS rocket engine.

No it doesn’t; the SPS engine was an AJ10-137.

with 97 400 N thrust (at full blast).

The rated thrust was 91,189 N (20,500 lbf), though that’s not necessarily the actual on the job performance.  Things as simple as the initial temperature of the propellants will have an effect of thrust.  In reality the thrust varied depending on factors such as temperature, upstream pressure at the injector, ablative liner wear, and probably other things I’m not thinking of.  However, it’s possible to back calculate the actual thrust based on the known and recorded performance.

If you suggest, e.g. 10 898 kg

That number is close to accurate.  Referring back to this source we see that the CSM/LM mass at LOI ignition was 96,061.6 lbm, or 43,572.8 kg.  The change in mass, therefore, was 43,572.8 – 32,675.7 = 10,897.1 kg.  Although the vast majority of that change is due to the consumption of SPS propellant, I suspect a small part was RCS propellant.

How much fuel do you require to carry out the braking maneuver?

We’ll get to this later.

Say that your space ship has mass 12 153 kg excluding fuel and that you must speed up from 1 500 to 2 400 m/s velocity to get out of Moon orbit to carry out a so called trans-Earth injection. Your space ship still has a P-22 KS rocket engine with 97 400 N thrust (at full blast). How much fuel do you require to carry out the acceleration maneuver?

If you suggest, e.g. 4 676 kg, you must support your answer with proper calculations to win the prize (€1M). I have a feeling you need > 20 000 kg.

In order to proceed with the discussion, I suggest you try to clarify above basic questions of fuel consumption.

Again, many of your facts are wrong, though it looks like you managed to get a few right.

Say that your space ship has mass 12 153 kg excluding fuel

I cannot confirm the above number from my current source, though it does appear to be approximately the mass I’d expect at TEI cutoff.

If you suggest, e.g. 4 676 kg

Adding these two number together we get, 12,153 + 4,676 = 16,829 kg, which should represent the CSM mass at LEI ignition.  Referring back to this source we see the CSM mass after LM jettison was 37,100.5 lbm (16,828.5 kg).  This appears to confirm that Heiwa is using legitimate mass numbers, so I’ll concede these two numbers are probably correct.

you must speed up from 1 500 to 2 400 m/s velocity to get out of Moon orbit to carry out a so called trans-Earth injection.

Wrong again on the velocities.  From this source we see that the pre- and post-TEI velocities were 5,376.0 ft/s (1,638.6 m/s) and 8,589.0 ft/s (2,617.9 m/s) respectively.

However, as before, we don’t need to know the velocities to solve the problem.  All that’s important is the delta-v, which we see is 3,279.0 ft/s, or 999.44 m/s.

Your space ship still has a P-22 KS rocket engine

Only the most obtuse person on the planet or a troll would still be calling the engine a P-22 KS.

97 400 N thrust (at full blast)

As previously stated, 91,189 N rated, actual to be determined.

How much fuel do you require to carry out the acceleration maneuver?

To come.

In order to proceed with the discussion, I suggest you try to clarify above basic questions of fuel consumption.

Already done ad nauseum.

When I started this post my intent was only to point out may of Heiwa’s factual errors – I had no intent to actually perform the calculations.  However, even though much of it has already been done, why not recap?

Lunar Orbit Insertion

Let’s start by recognizing that the rated specific impulse of the AJ10-137 is 314 seconds, though like the thrust, actual performance varies depending on a multitude of factors.  The first calculation assumes actual Isp = rated Isp.

Final mass = 32,675.7 kg
Delta-v = 889.25 m/s

Effective exhaust gas velocity, C = Isp * go  = 314 * 9.80665 = 3,079.3 m/s

Using Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation,

Initial mass =  Final mass * EXP[ delta-v / C ]
Initial mass =  32675.7 * EXP[ 889.25 / 3079.3 ] = 43,615.6 kg

Propellant used = Initial mass – Final mass
Propellant used = 43615.6 – 32675.7 = 10,939.9 kg

Knowing the actual initial and final masses, and the actual delta-v, we can also solve the problem to determine the actual effective exhaust gas velocity, and thus the actual specific impulse.  In this case we see that the actual propellant consumption was less than that calculated above, indicating we got above nominal performance.  Let's determine,

Initial mass = 43,572.8 kg

Rearranging Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation,

C = Delta-v / LN[ Initial mass / Final mass ]
C = 889.25 / LN[ 43572.8 / 32675.7 ] = 3,089.8 m/s

Therefore,

Isp = C / go = 3089.8 / 9.80665 = 315.07 s

We can also calculate the actual thrust of the engine, thus

Time of burn = 357.53 s

Propellant flow rate, q = (43572.8 – 32675.7) / 357.53 = 30.479 kg/s

Thrust = C * q = 3,089.8 * 30.479 = 94,174 N

(These calculations assume that the entire change in mass is due to the consumption of SPS propellant, ignoring the possibility some may be RCS propellant.)

Transearth Injection

Final mass = 12,153 kg
Delta-v = 999.44 m/s

Again using the rated Isp of 314 s, we obtain

Initial mass = 12153 * EXP[ 999.44 / 3079.3 ] = 16,812.8 kg

Propellant used = 16812.8 – 12153 = 4,659.8 kg

This time the actual propellant consumption appears to be greater than our calculation, therefore the engine performance was a little below nominal.  Let’s find out,

Initial mass = 16,828.5 kg

C = 999.44 / LN[ 16828.5 / 12153 ] = 3,070.5 m/s

Isp = C / go = 3070.5 / 9.80665 = 313.10 s

Let’s finish up by calculating the thrust during the TEI burn,

Time of burn = 151.41 s

Propellant flow rate, q = (16828.5 – 12153) / 151.41 = 30.880 kg/s

Thrust = C * q = 3,070.5 * 30.880 = 94,817 N

As we can see, the flow rate and thrust of the second burn was a little higher than the first, though the specific impulse went down a bit.  As described earlier, these variations are not unexpected as conditions change.  Say for instance, the Isp might have dropped because the propellants were colder, and the flow rate might have increased because of erosion of the ablative nozzle throat.  There are many reason that can account for the difference.

Heiwa, your challenge has been met time and time again.  Only your ignorance prevents you from seeing it.

EDIT:  I had to revise several of the above LOI calculations because in the middle of the computations I inadvertently started using 886.25 for the delta-v instead of the correct number of 889.25 m/s.  It was just a simple typo that is now corrected.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:35:19 PM by Bob B. »

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #844 on: January 05, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »
@Heiwa: several here have qualified for the prize. I suggest that you split it up, giving Bob B. the largest share for his excellence and clarity of explanation in his last post

@Lunar Orbit:  let's keep him around. As a competent manager who could do the math if necessary (but hates it - that's what engineers do so well), I find these conversations illuminating, watching real experts tear apart a rank amateur.  Besides, it takes me back to when I was young watching history take place before my eyes.

Eta: fixed punctuation

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #845 on: January 05, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
That's a problem for heiwa. If re-entry cannot be accomplished then there are no nuclear weapons.

Not a problem for Heiwa at all, since he already does not believe there are nuclear weapons anyway, whether they need re-entry or not.

Yeah....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #846 on: January 05, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »

Not a problem for Heiwa at all, since he already does not believe there are nuclear weapons anyway, whether they need re-entry or not.

Yeah....
Let's not go down that OT road. If heiwa wants to discuss it let him start a new thread.

That said, no matter which way you follow the equations, you end up at about 10,800 Kilos feul used. Does heiwa have any further leg to stand on?

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #847 on: January 05, 2013, 02:25:45 PM »

Yeah....
Let's not go down that OT road. If heiwa wants to discuss it let him start a new thread.

That said, no matter which way you follow the equations, you end up at about 10,800 Kilos feul used. Does heiwa have any further leg to stand on?

No, he will just refuse to acknowledge it.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #848 on: January 05, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
Did Apollo 11 push a cushion or shockwave of air in front of it while trying to keep the trim angle right while flying up/down in the atmosphere? And only this cushion of air heats up and turns into ionized gas/plasma. Have this strange phenomenom been tested in a laboratory or air tunnel test installation? Pls provide some evidence. I have a feeling you are just making it up SF style.

Geez. This blunt body wind tunnel photograph is in every book about the history of space exploration:

The only way you could not have seen it is if you had never opened a book about space exploration.
Putting a layman's hat on, The first one looks like it should be the way to go. After all, that's what we know spaceships really should look like.

Meself, I could see number one going "sphtang" off the atmosphere into oblivion. Every time.

Still, it is interesting to see the development from the mad to what will actually work in real life.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #849 on: January 05, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Heiwa hasn't had any legs to stand on for some considerable time. he just refuses to acknowledge the fact. He seems to be rather like a cartoon character that will continue blithely walking on thin air simply because he hasn't realised he walked off a cliff some while back. I wouldn't like to be around when he looks down and realises where he actually is and what must inevitably happen...
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #850 on: January 05, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
@Heiwa: several here have qualified for the prize. I suggest that you split it up, giving Bob B. the largest share for his excellence and clarity of explanation in his last post.

"The" prize?  The way I see it, we’ve won several €1M prizes.  Every time we win one he offers up a new challenge.  I think we’re probably up to about €5M by now.

Offline Sharpeneer

• Mercury
« Reply #851 on: January 05, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

Heiwa hasn't had any legs to stand on for some considerable time. he just refuses to acknowledge the fact. He seems to be rather like a cartoon character that will continue blithely walking on thin air simply because he hasn't realised he walked off a cliff some while back. I wouldn't like to be around when he looks down and realises where he actually is and what must inevitably happen...

Hang on. That sounds very much like Heiwa's concept of how gravity works...

I didn't know the cartoon world had access to the internet. Perhaps he can only get to this forum? Might explain why he avoids all these links.

BTW everyone - I joined up because of this thread. I work in building structures, and I don't like things moving. So seeing the maths play out has been quite enlightening.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #852 on: January 05, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
Welcome, Sharpeneer.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #853 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
BTW everyone - I joined up because of this thread. I work in building structures, and I don't like things moving. So seeing the maths play out has been quite enlightening.

PLEASE don't tell me you're planning to hire Heiwa/Anders as a consultant! ;)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #854 on: January 05, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »

PLEASE don't tell me you're planning to hire Heiwa/Anders as a consultant! ;)

What you do is ask Heiwa what he would do, and then do the opposite.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)