Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 864155 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #900 on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
Maybe this has been glaringly obvious to everyone else, but yaknow, it really just dawned on me...

Heiwa's whole claim with regards to the LOI burn is that - with no experimental data, real world experience, or even a computer model to point to - he FEELS THAT you can't get that much change of velocity with that amount of fuel. That's just personal incredulity.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #901 on: January 06, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
I wonder will he (Heiwa) come back on here after he has had his a*se resoundably handed to him in quite such a manner.

"It's only a flesh wound."

Never underestimate the ability of someone who simply refuses to see reality.

When you have skin as thick as our erstwhile hero's appears to be, I think that a samurai sword would probably only inflict scratches.... :D :D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #902 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Maybe this has been glaringly obvious to everyone else, but yaknow, it really just dawned on me...

Heiwa's whole claim with regards to the LOI burn is that - with no experimental data, real world experience, or even a computer model to point to - he FEELS THAT you can't get that much change of velocity with that amount of fuel. That's just personal incredulity.
Not quite. He's misapplying kinetic energy (by redefining the boundaries of the system) and hence getting a nonsensical result. Specifically, he claims that the equation [jstex]\frac{1}{2}m_i v_i^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_f v_f^2 = e[/jstex]is true, where e is the enthalpy of combustion for the fuel and mi is the mass of the spacecraft before the burn including fuel, and mf is the mass of the spacecraft after the burn excluding expended fuel. Of course this won't conserve KE, and of course he gets nonsense results.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:10:49 PM by grmcdorman »

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #903 on: January 06, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
I think that's what is so irritating.

Being ignorant of something isn't, in itself, shameful.  I could probably reel off a dozen things I don't understand right now.

However, to be wilfully ignorant and scream abuse at people who understand better than you is a big problem.  In the long run, someone who behaves like this does no favours for themselves or anyone around them.

I am happy to help and teach people who are interested and would like to understand.  I have no time for people who abuse others for their intelligence and ability.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:50:44 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #904 on: January 06, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

And not just on Apollo matters. "If you don't follow these rules, your posts won't go through" seems simple enough, but it seems his sheer arrogance makes him incapable of dealing with a world that doesn't bend to his whims. He didn't just flounce off again...he kept trying without altering the behaviors that led to his posts not even being allowed through. I sort of wonder if he's still trying to post despite being temporarily banned.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #905 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »

And not just on Apollo matters. "If you don't follow these rules, your posts won't go through" seems simple enough, but it seems his sheer arrogance makes him incapable of dealing with a world that doesn't bend to his whims. He didn't just flounce off again...he kept trying without altering the behaviors that led to his posts not even being allowed through. I sort of wonder if he's still trying to post despite being temporarily banned.

Yes - that behaviour really puzzles me.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #906 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »
I sort of wonder if he's still trying to post despite being temporarily banned.

As a matter of fact, he has tried to login several times since I banned him yesterday. It seems like a waste of time considering the forum tells him that he is banned and when it expires. But maybe he isn't reading the error message and thinks there is something wrong with the forum.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #907 on: January 06, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
All this makes me even more confident that he isn't a troll.  I mean, that behaviour doesn't even really bother anyone.  It's an obvious and complete failure to understand.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #908 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17:24 PM »
Exactly. He seems to understand English so it's not a language issue... what we say just doesn't seem to sink in.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #909 on: January 06, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »

Not quite. He's misapplying kinetic energy (by redefining the boundaries of the system) and hence getting a nonsensical result. Specifically, he claims that the equation [jstex]\frac{1}{2}m_i v_i^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_f v_f^2 = e[/jstex]is true, where e is the enthalpy of combustion for the fuel and mi is the mass of the spacecraft before the burn including fuel, and mf is the mass of the spacecraft after the burn excluding expended fuel. Of course this won't conserve KE, and of course he gets nonsense results.
You, and I and most everyone else in this forum know his results are nonsense, and we know why - he didn't do the KE calculation correctly.

But how does he know it's nonsense? About the actual mass of fuel used, on his website he states:
I would expect that about at least 8 times (!) more fuel/energy had to be used to slow down the heavy - 32.7 ton - space ship.
My point is, from where did he get that expectation?  Typically, when someone gets an answer to a calculation that seems wrong, they go back over their calculations to see where they made a mistake, or they check the answer by using a different calculation method, or they get someone else to check their figures.

There's no indication that Heiwa has done any of these. Having no expertise in astronautics, he just "feels" that the number he got is too high. His calculation method was wrong, of course, but whether his result is right or wrong is almost irrelevant. It's only his personal incredulity that tells him it "can't" be right - he could just as easily be saying the same thing if he had done the calculation correctly.

I think that definitely fits squarely in the category of "not even wrong".

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #910 on: January 06, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
He behaves in similar fashion to the multi-sock puppet doctor......the one who claimed they landed the LM remotely for some weird military purpose. Seems like a missed opportunity...maybe they should have a chat ;D

For sheer comedic value it would be one of those bucket of popcorn moments.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #911 on: January 06, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
All this makes me even more confident that he isn't a troll.  I mean, that behaviour doesn't even really bother anyone.  It's an obvious and complete failure to understand.
I agree. He really believes in conspiracies and tries his best to convince himself and others it is something objective that can show them to be true.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #912 on: January 06, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
Another thing which intrigued me was his rejection of the reality of the Space Shuttle. I mean, here was a program which consisted of 135 manned flights over a period of 30 years, including two which ended in fatal accidents. What conceivable reason would NASA have to fake 135 missions over a period of 30 years when they could simply say there's no way to return a spacecraft safely to the Earth?

(And yes, if you include all preceding and concurrent non-Shuttle manned missions, the numbers get even larger and the logic even less tenable.)

I remember seeing many times footage of someone pulling a Shuttle thermal protection system tile out of an oven, and then picking it up with bare hands. It's not like they made any secret of their means of protecting the Shuttle during re-entry.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #913 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
Another thing which intrigued me was his rejection of the reality of the Space Shuttle. I mean, here was a program which consisted of 135 manned flights over a period of 30 years, including two which ended in fatal accidents. What conceivable reason would NASA have to fake 135 missions over a period of 30 years when they could simply say there's no way to return a spacecraft safely to the Earth?

(And yes, if you include all preceding and concurrent non-Shuttle manned missions, the numbers get even larger and the logic even less tenable.)

I remember seeing many times footage of someone pulling a Shuttle thermal protection system tile out of an oven, and then picking it up with bare hands. It's not like they made any secret of their means of protecting the Shuttle during re-entry.
I remember seeing that for the first time decades ago and thinking "How cool is that?" (pun intended)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #914 on: January 06, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
Before the shuttle's first launch I remember reading a NatGeo article about the tiles. It included a picture of a block of pure silicon glowing red hot and a guy holding it by the corners with his bare fingers!

But the 'for de-orbit burn they were pointed backwards so how did it turn around before re-entry?' line was priceless.