Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 636099 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Radiation
« Reply #795 on: April 02, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Sure I do and trust me, you don't want to integrate SPE's into your equation.

What equation? Explain, I'm interested. How would you integrate SPEs into my equation?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #796 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
Sure I do and trust me, you don't want to integrate SPE's into your equation.

What equation? Explain, I'm interested. How would you integrate SPEs into my equation?
I wouldn't because including SPE flux would certainly yield a much higher mission dose rate proving beyond doubt that Apollo 11 was an LEO mission.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #797 on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
He doesn't know calculus, Luke.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #798 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
I wouldn't because including SPE flux would certainly yield a much higher mission dose rate proving beyond doubt that Apollo 11 was an LEO mission.

Please define how an SPE event is characterised and how many SPEs occurred in each Apollo mission.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #799 on: April 02, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »
He doesn't know calculus, Luke.

No, he does not. Nor log scales and links to monomials, nor averages (I still cannot quite get over that we had to explain that if you have m numbers that are all less then n, the the average must be less than n), nor variations in observed data... in fact there's a lot of maths Tim does not understand.

I'll get back to the cricket now. I quite liked the 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 example. Quite intuitive really.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #800 on: April 02, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Right, so when you say "integrate" he thinks you mean to incorporate or include.  He doesn't know the concept of a time-integrated flux.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #801 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
It is time for another recap.

1.  NASA states that the cislunar radiation during Solar cycle 20 was a minimum of 1 millirad/hr (.24 mgy/day) and as much as twice that at solar minimum.
2.  Apollo 11's .22 mgy/day is less than cislunar background radiation.
3.  Lunar orbit is 30 to 40% higher than cislunar space background radiation
4.  The lunar surface emits neutrons that increase lunar orbit radiation
5.  The flight path of the Apollo was through a path that was higher in radiation than the SAA.

These are the indisputable facts.  Make of them what you will.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #802 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:56 PM »
Right, so when you say "integrate" he thinks you mean to incorporate or include.  He doesn't know the concept of a time-integrated flux.

I captured that interpretation, hence why I asked how he 'would integrate' SPEs into my sampling example.  ;)

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #803 on: April 02, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »

I captured that interpretation, hence why I asked how he 'would integrate' SPEs into my sampling example.  ;)

Integration can be a way to sum things up over a time, space, or some other factor. Time integration is a way of summing the effects of a function over time

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #804 on: April 02, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »
So is there no one willing to embrace the possibility that they have been deceived?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #805 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
I'll be back tomorrow to check for concession speeches.  Be vigilant and seek truth no matter the cost.  Live long and prosper.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #806 on: April 02, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
The effect of high-energy cosmic rays on humans is unknown but is considered by most authorities not to be of serious concern for exposures of less than a few years.

Care to comment on your this point, that you brought to the forum. It's your information.

In all fairness, GCRs HAVE become a serious concern for LONG-TERM exposures (months and years) due to the scientific measurements/analysis performed since that report (note how your quote says the effect is unknown).  This still doesn't affect the short-term risks of missions such as Apollo 11.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #807 on: April 02, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
I'll be back tomorrow to check for concession speeches.  Be vigilant and seek truth no matter the cost.  Live long and prosper.

I'll be back tomorrow to see if you understand a log scale, you've interrogated the CRaTER data and shown that the graph is represented by the data.

Oh... if I have the following numbers: 5 4 3 4 1 2, will the average be less than 5 and greater than 1?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #808 on: April 02, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
In all fairness, GCRs HAVE become a serious concern for LONG-TERM exposures (months and years) due to the scientific measurements/analysis performed since that report (note how your quote says the effect is unknown).  This still doesn't affect the short-term risks of missions such as Apollo 11.

I went fishing, I was being a bit naughty. Good work with the CRaTER data, you cast that line. It was clear he had not looked at the data, and then what followed with log scales and averages was an utter car crash.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #809 on: April 02, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
I predict he will continue along in the same vein (or should I say "vain") and re-arrange his verbage just to say the same things over and over all the while ignoring all the facts and reasoning that disprove his assertions.  He is just trying to yank our chains, but I am sure everyone realizes that.  One thing he doesn't understand is that we (if I am not being too presumptuous) find his antics amusing once he has shown himself to be deliberately unreasonable.

Note:  Edited to correct "to" into "too".
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin