Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 636348 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1710 on: April 09, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Okay, maybe I am going to have to explain why "conspiratard" is offensive, since some people haven't gotten the memo.

First of all, you've just talked about personal insults' being inappropriate, so throwing one out yourself is perhaps a little hypocritical.

Second, are you unaware that the term "retardation" is no longer used in childhood development circles because so many people were using it as an insult?  In my opinion, this served to deprive us of a useful distinction, since "developmental disability" and "developmental delay" both cover a lot of territory other than what is covered under "retardation."  My son has a developmental delay--two of them, since he has a social delay and had a speech delay that he seems to have outgrown--but is definitely not intellectually delayed, since he's already reading, writing, and doing math.

Third, let's take my friend's son, Arden.  Arden has Down syndrome.  He was born with all sorts of problems that aren't his fault.  We can talk all we want to about whether someone with his brain issues should be considered stupid, but the fact remains that, if Arden can't understand an average--and I don't know the extent of his mental issues--that's a perfectly understandable state of affairs on his part.  We don't expect more of him, because there is legitimately something wrong with his brain.

Should I go on?  Don't use that word.  Don't use any variant of that word.  It's ableist and it's offensive and we're better than that.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #1711 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
Gillian, I truly do apologize for being insensitive.  It's something I lose sight of at times, and periodically need the sharp elbow in the ribs for it. Mea culpa

But, for the record, I wasn't claiming that Tim's personal insults were inappropriate, just that they were being used to a specific effect; namely, to tip the scales in favor of him being banned so he can claim a scalp.  He's deliberately keeping them on the near side of actual abuse, so if (when) LO brings the banhammer down Tim can claim it was because of his views, not his behavior.

To be clear, I am explicitly calling Tim out as a troll - he is pretending to be a conspiracy theorist, he is pretending to not understand how to read a graph1, and he is pretending that he's arguing in anything resembling good faith.  His ultimate goal is to be banned, because it's fun ("some people just want to watch the world burn"). 

I've dealt with true believers in other fora, and they will go for the most offensive, gross, and abusive insults they can pretty much at the drop of a hat (people who claim to be Evangelical Christians can have surprisingly deep knowledge of vocabulary and usage).  Tim's moderating his behavior just a bit too well for me to believe he's serious.

1. I knew guys who went through nuc school, and not being able to tell the difference between a linear and log scale would have gotten them bounced on day 1.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1712 on: April 09, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
Honestly, I think it's a waste of time to speculate on motives.  Whether he can read the graph or not doesn't change the discussion much to me.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1713 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
I've been reading this thread, following most of it. Is this person one of the usual suspects? Some comments has led me to believe that.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1714 on: April 09, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
I've been reading this thread, following most of it. Is this person one of the usual suspects? Some comments has led me to believe that.

1. Inability to understand simple concepts and do basic maths.

2. Over inflated view of self (this one's a "war hero", others have been professors and scientists and authors)

3. Tendency towards crank magnetism.

4. Says they're not a HB but what they say clearly shows they are.

5. Resorts to insults and abuse when they find they can gain no traction against knowledgeable & experienced people

6. Ignores the women posters.

Well, these pretty much fit all the usual batshit crazy CT/HB suspects I can think of. Did you have a particular one on mind... Weisbecker perhaps?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1715 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »
No, not really. I was wondering if it was somebody the more "seasoned" members recognized. But put in list form like that, it certainly looks familiar. Just no Jay-fixation so far.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1716 on: April 09, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
Or could it be?

Adrian?

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1717 on: April 09, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
To be clear, I am explicitly calling Tim out as a troll

I came to that conclusion some time back, but all too often, I can't help but feed the tortured little soul.

And as far as name-calling goes, in the course of friendly verbal jousting it is all too easy to let something slip that others can find offensive.  I am not one to propose we need PC police, or have a duty to not unintentionally offend anyone, but do recognize some decorum should be maintained in civilized society.  What my friends and I have done (and still do) is use the term "mook".  The dictionary definition includes words such as "stupid" and "undesirable", but in our own slight variation, we have modified (for us) the definition to be, "a person who does something stupid, even though they know (or should know) better".  It seems to be particularly accurate with my lot.  There is a subtlety, though, as the term is almost exclusively used by us in a genial manner.  And just to clarify, the entity timfinch, despite his qualifications in regards to my quoted modified definition, has yet to achieve status worthy of that subtlety.

Sorry for a bit of off-topic rambling.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1718 on: April 09, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Weisbecker was as dumb as rocks, so not him (not that this Tim/benparry character is over-endowed with smarts, but at least there's a modicum of research done). Plus surfing or having a plot of land for sale wasn't mentioned once.  ;D
Adrian/AWE130? No, I don't believe so. No mentions of a "journey into the truth for all mankind". No referring to himself in the first person plural or any mention of a growing band of believers. Thankfully, no whispering either  :o
Neil Baker? In many ways, similar. Didn't descend into threats of violence and spittle-flecked rage though
IDW? Better spelling.

The one that timfinch/benparry reminds me most of is Heiwa. The same supercilious tone allied with mind-bending stupidity. I'm not saying that they are one and the same (no mention of sinking ferries for a start), but they are cut from the same cloth IMHO.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1719 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
Different rhythm than Heiwa. I just re-read some of his posts from earlier, and - even though my first language is NOT english - it seemed quite different.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1720 on: April 09, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
Weisbecker was as dumb as rocks, so not him (not that this Tim/benparry character is over-endowed with smarts,

Wait! benparry? Really? benparry doesn't strike me as being a troll or an HB. His posts don't suggest that to me

You don't mean inconceivable do you?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:47:46 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1721 on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:50 PM »
Weisbecker was as dumb as rocks, so not him (not that this Tim/benparry character is over-endowed with smarts,

Wait! benparry? Really? benparry doesn't strike me as being a troll or an HB. His posts don't suggest that to me

Benparry and Timfinch have been playing this same game on Cosmoquest.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

They're ether working together or they're the same person.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1722 on: April 09, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
I'm of the strong opinion the pilot fish is a sock-puppet of the shark.

As for tim? Yeah, I also thought IDW -- trouble with the term "exponential," the forced folksiness, the particular kind of superciliousness, many even of the stock expressions and the general patter of the voice. But the spelling is way above his level and only on CosmoQuest did the profanity break out, and then only briefly. Plus he's tried to avoid Jay...but the very lack of obviousness in which he avoids the Big Dog is almost suspicious in itself.

(Yeah, I know. Reminds me of the time I was boarding a flight from SFO, smoothly took off my shoes and jacket, finished my water bottle and dropped the empty in the waste...and got a, "Sir, you seem too good at this. Will you step this way?")

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1723 on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:42 AM »

Benparry and Timfinch have been playing this same game on Cosmoquest.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166821-Moon-Landing-Question

They're ether working together or they're the same person.

Ah, I hadn't seen that thread.

Looks like some of the stuff you see on TV police procedurals.... "good cop - bad cop"

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #1724 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:09 AM »
Good Morning Gents. many thanks for your insulting comments. if you care to log in to numerous facebook groups you will see that I spend a good deal of my time debating with people about the moon hoax. although my knowledge doesn't extend to you guys I have learnt a bit to be able to to defend my self. Tim is a gentleman I met on 1 of these groups and his question was the only one I couldn't defend properly which I why I sought your thoughts. I can assure you myself and Tim are not the same person and I am more than happy to share any information you feel is needed for that. cosmoquest is a forum I am also a member of however for anybody who is a member there you will recall the reason why tim stopped debating there is because he was banned.