Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 636061 times)

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2175 on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »
So if electrons with energy higher than 15 MeV pass right through the hull, what do they do to humans?

Pass right through?
I imagine the same thing a high speed projectile that passes through the body does.  It blows anything in it's path out of it's way.  We can certainly be sure it is nothing good as if it was we would be showering ing GCR.

Neutrinos pass through most detectors as well...
That seems so relevant....

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2176 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
So if electrons with energy higher than 15 MeV pass right through the hull, what do they do to humans?

Pass right through?
I imagine the same thing a high speed projectile that passes through the body does.  It blows anything in it's path out of it's way.  We can certainly be sure it is nothing good as if it was we would be showering ing GCR.

Two options: 1): It passes right through the human body without depositing any energy there. That means it does not interact with the human body. Therefore it does zero damage. A bullet passing through the human body DOES deposit energy while passing through. Therefore it does damage.

2): It deposits some or all of its energy in the human body, and therefore does SOME damage. But the damage is proportional to the FLUX of the particle. Not just the existence of the particle.

Edited to add: Bob Braeunig had a large section on his radiation page, where he calculated the secondary radiation. In short, the wavelengths produced did not penetrate to the cabin.
Bob Braeunig is a government shill.  I never got past his blatant deception in the illustration of the path of the Apollo 11 through the VAB.  That destroyed any credibility the man might have had in my eyes.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2177 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
You have been lied to.  Here is the actual path through the VAB.  One must be aware the the center of the VAB is not aligned with the earths equatorial plane rather it is aligned with the magnetic equator which is offset 11.5 degrees.  This results in the lunar orbit being 17.15 degrees into the magnetic equatorial plane.  The only region of the VAB not encountered in a VAB transit is the 2*10^8 flux at the very heart.  It's path is through the 1*10^8 region (half as much).

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2178 on: April 19, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
I know not a single one of you knew this or you would have recognized that Braeuning was attempting to deceive you.  Show me your respect for pulling the wool off your eyes by creating a Go Fund me account to continue my research.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2179 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:13 PM »
You have been lied to.  Here is the actual path through the VAB.  One must be aware the the center of the VAB is not aligned with the earths equatorial plane rather it is aligned with the magnetic equator which is offset 11.5 degrees.  This results in the lunar orbit being 17.15 degrees into the magnetic equatorial plane.  The only region of the VAB not encountered in a VAB transit is the 2*10^8 flux at the very heart.  It's path is through the 1*10^8 region (half as much).

You have been told that is a TWO-dimensional representation of a THREE-dimensional trajectory. You still don't understand 3d?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2180 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
And because you pull the "shill"-card, you think you just can wave your hand and BB's calculations magically disappear?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2181 on: April 19, 2018, 11:07:31 PM »
If it as you would have use believe, that 8 gm/cm^3 aluminum shielding can shield 90% of proton flux and assuming in doing so no secondary radiation is created then using Braeunig's own totals of 179.67 rem for both transits would still yield 17.97 rem.  Make that work without magic.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2182 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »
It's physics. It works even if you don't understand it or believe it.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2183 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »
Also, the CM didn't just use aluminium in its construction. There was a stainless steel plate in it too. Also, the other components of the spacecraft provided shielding. The SM - 38 tonnes - shielded the CM from one end, the LM - 15 tonnes - from the other on the outbound trip. Only the sides were "open" to space.

How does that factor into your calculations?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2184 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
Give me some numbers to work with.  If you don't want Braeunig's numbers or NASA's numbers then what numbers will satisfy as the exposure received by the transit?  Keep in mind that the Orion craft traveled 3600 miles into the Van Allen Belt and although it traveled completely through the center electron belt it did not travel through the center of the inner proton belt.  The question that plagues me is why did the Orion have such a large magnitude of radiation through twice as much shielding if there are no electron fluxes greater than 7 mev in all the VAB and aluminum shields are permeable to 8 mev electron flux and above and block everything less than 7 mev.  Why did they get a single ping?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:46:05 PM by timfinch »

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2185 on: April 19, 2018, 11:31:19 PM »
Also, the CM didn't just use aluminium in its construction. There was a stainless steel plate in it too. Also, the other components of the spacecraft provided shielding. The SM - 38 tonnes - shielded the CM from one end, the LM - 15 tonnes - from the other on the outbound trip. Only the sides were "open" to space.

How does that factor into your calculations?
Heavy metals are a anathema to high energy protons due to secondary emissions are more dangerous than the primary proton radiation that created them.  No one would add steel to the mix.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2186 on: April 19, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »
It's physics. It works even if you don't understand it or believe it.
There is no magic in physics, only in Moon Hoax deniers excuses.  Show me the math!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:35:29 PM by timfinch »

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2187 on: April 19, 2018, 11:40:20 PM »
Always remember and never forget that the lowest GCR background radiation (exclusive of any Solar radiation you could anally extract) was 1.4 mgy/day.  You have to somehow reduce VAB transit radiation to something less than .08 mgy/day  and lunar operation to zero to arrive at the .22 mgy/day of apollo 11.  I am going to have to get more popcorn.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2188 on: April 19, 2018, 11:41:43 PM »
Do you ever wonder what it is like to be caught in the death grip of a boa constrictor?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2189 on: April 19, 2018, 11:55:33 PM »

The researchers now know that the inner belt is typically a region of lower radiation.

This means that spacecraft can be designed with lighter and cheaper builds, as they will be bombarded with less radiation than previously estimated.

And, it allows for new exploration possibilities.

‘This opens up the possibility of doing science that previously was not possible,’ said Shri Kanekal, Van Allen Probes deputy mission scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

‘For example, we can now investigate under what circumstances these electrons penetrate the inner region and see if more intense geomagnetic storms give electrons that are more intense or more energetic.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4317692/Earth-s-inner-belt-radiation-thought.html#ixzz5DBJGRkmK