Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 636555 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2745 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:40 AM »
So much of our existence is learned and not real.  The color blue did not exist until about 4 hundred years ago.  the sky used to be clear until the color blue was invented and learned.

Where did you learn physics. Yowtch!
I commented on that one earlier. If he really believes that. . . wow . . . that's such a brain hurting comment I don't know where to begin. :o

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2746 on: April 22, 2018, 02:19:51 AM »
Sorry but I can't find any reference to .24 mgy/day in the text... I must have missed it. Can you tell me which page / para it is on? Thanks!

He's adding up the millirad per hour value into a daily rate and converting to milligrays.

He's pretending that it is specific to the Apollo 11 mission, when it is no such thing, and is not bothering to find out the source of the original value.
The article states it is applicable to the apollo missions.  It was written in 1973.  What else can I tell you.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2747 on: April 22, 2018, 02:21:52 AM »
Do you reject NASA's evaluation of GCR levels?  Have you any references that are more reputable and have a different value. 

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2748 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »
So much of our existence is learned and not real.  The color blue did not exist until about 4 hundred years ago.  the sky used to be clear until the color blue was invented and learned.

Where did you learn physics. Yowtch!
I commented on that one earlier. If he really believes that. . . wow . . . that's such a brain hurting comment I don't know where to begin. :o

I'll give him benefit of doubt and assume this is a riff off one of those pop psychology memes, made confusing by poor word choice.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2749 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:10 AM »
I will use any value you can defend.  Have you anything or are you being petulant?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2750 on: April 22, 2018, 02:25:51 AM »

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2751 on: April 22, 2018, 02:26:16 AM »
Raven, how do you like me now?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2752 on: April 22, 2018, 02:28:14 AM »
I'm sorry but you said:

If you were to check, I actually came up with .24 not from a graph but from a statement in a NASA article.

But I can find no reference to the value you quoted. There was nothing in the text that said that value. How did you come up with this figure?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2753 on: April 22, 2018, 02:29:58 AM »
1 mrem/hr = .24 mgy/day
1 mrem =.01 mgy

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2754 on: April 22, 2018, 02:31:38 AM »
Sorry but I can't find any reference to .24 mgy/day in the text... I must have missed it. Can you tell me which page / para it is on? Thanks!

He's adding up the millirad per hour value into a daily rate and converting to milligrays.

He's pretending that it is specific to the Apollo 11 mission, when it is no such thing, and is not bothering to find out the source of the original value.

Yeah, I see it.

I see we have to add significant figures to the list of things Tim needs to learn about.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2755 on: April 22, 2018, 02:33:54 AM »
So realizing that NASA itself claims a baseline GCR level (.24 mgy/day) greater than the daily mission dose of Apollo 11 (.22 mgy/day) you can see the source of my consternation can't you?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2756 on: April 22, 2018, 02:35:40 AM »

Yeah, I see it.

I see we have to add significant figures to the list of things Tim needs to learn about.
What now?  You don't like this number or is it the source of this number?  Why are you unhappy, It is written in black and white?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2757 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:19 AM »
Even if Apollo 11 did not transit the VAB it's mission dose is to low to have traveled cislunar space.  That simply means it never left LEO and the Moon hoax is demonstratively proven.  Do you guys need my autograph?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2758 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:37 AM »
Raven, how do you like me now?
Showing your ignorance yet again. Nothing there says we saw it as clear or that blue was 'invented'. If the sky had been clear, we'd just see the sky as . . . black, which we'd never have identified with a hypothetical clear glaze that somehow later became called blue. Plus, you said 400 years, and even the article says the first mention of blue in a language was from 4,500 years.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2759 on: April 22, 2018, 02:40:14 AM »
Raven, this Bud is for you:  http://www.iflscience.com/brain/when-did-humans-start-see-color-blue/

MY recent reading in the history of color NAMES, with a concentration on the Bronze Age empires of the Mediterranean (my current focus of interest), written incidentally by a group of experts in the field, tells me that pop-sci article you linked to is clickbait garbage. I'd give you the real story, but you lack the linguistic, ethnographic, and history of technology background to understand it.