Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 635985 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2925 on: April 24, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »
Along with the glass hammer and left handed screwdriver. Was bearing grease invented by Ralph Rene?

You forgot the anvil ring, the long weight and the prop wash!

ETA: oops, ninja'd on the last two

ETA2: Actually, in my very early days in the RNZAF, someone tried to dupe me by sending me to the Main Store for a long weight, a left-handed screwdriver and a bottle of prop wash. However, as my Dad had been in the RAF, he had briefed me well for such a request, so, I "used my initiative". I reported to the Main Store, and requested a ratchet-screwdriver; the type that could lock in the tightening or untightening position. I also requisitioned a large container of  Carbon-X, a mil spec exterior degreaser/cleaner approved for use in aviation. The long weight was problematic, I had to leave the base for that one. I went to a second hand house parts merchant and bought a 12lb, 24in long sash weight like this one.

It took me all day to find what I was looking for, and I was prepared to spend a few dollars in order to have my fun, after all, I had to be a good young Airman, and make sure my sergeant got the long wait weight he was wanting.

I finally turned up about 10 minutes before knock-off and put the items on a bench in the workshop where everyone was. I explained to the sergeant that the ratchet screwdriver was all I could find, but it could be used left or right handed, that the Carbon-X was used for washing helicopter blades so it should be OK for propellers, and then I pointed to the sash weight and asked him if the weight was long enough. There was a lot snickering and quiet laughter from the rest of lads in the workshop... one of them said (quite loud enough for everyone to hear) "Cooky 3 - Sarge Nil". 

ETA3: I came back to visit the workshop a few years later as a Corporal, and Sarge was still there (a Flight-Sergeant by then). He had mounted the sash weight on a nice varnished wooden board and it was hanging on the wall in his office!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:52:53 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2926 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
We'd also get new joiners to go to the galley and ask the cooks for milk for the sea cat...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seacat_(missile)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2927 on: April 24, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
Fetch 'em yourself, I'm due on deck for Mail-Bouy duty.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2928 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
Reading the CosmoWhatever thread. Looks like he got tired of wearing dolphins -- now he's Army, possibly even a 12B. I look forward to seeing what total hash he makes of my old MOS.

All he needs now is the guitar and the bicycle.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #2929 on: April 24, 2018, 09:50:01 PM »
Reading the CosmoWhatever thread. Looks like he got tired of wearing dolphins -- now he's Army, possibly even a 12B. I look forward to seeing what total hash he makes of my old MOS.

All he needs now is the guitar and the bicycle.
I am sure my distinguished military career is somehow related to the moon hoax topic but how it is related is beyond my comprehension.  It is true that during my 16 years of exemplary service the Viet Nam war was ended Noriega was captured, the Berlin wall was destroyed and the Soviet Union was shattered into pieces.  I am not claiming that I was responsible for these things but they did happen during my watch.  To satisfy the undying curiosity,  I served 4 years in the Army as a 12B Combat Engineer.  I was Discharged as a E-5 (Sargent) and served 2 years as Squad leader in Co. C17th Engineering Battalion, Ft. Hood, Tx.  After leaving the Army I attended the University of Texas in San Antonio but dropped out after one year to join the Navy.  I served aboard the USS Sam Houston (SSN 609) and the USS Tunny (SSN 682) I achieved the rank of E-7 and was honorably discharge for medical reasons in 1991.  I worked as an Industrial Maintenance Electrician until disability forced an early retirement in 2012.  I was widowed this past October and I have a Son and 3 grandchildren.  There is nothing beyond this of my story.  Now can we get on with proving the Moon Hoax.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #2930 on: April 25, 2018, 05:39:23 AM »
Since Tim has changed his story, I can tell about submarine's diesel tank. It is located between forward crew compartment and reactor compartment because there it acts as an additional radiation shield. I was wondering how Tim, as a nuclear submariner, can reconcile that in submarine structural elements can shield from radiation but on Apollo not. Or maybe he wasn't a real submariner. Apparently, per Cosmoquest, he wasn't.

Lurky

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2931 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:57 AM »
Big surprise.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2932 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
Really big surprise, he hasn't changed his style or numbers.  I expect he won't last more than a couple of days and then be suspended or banned.
LO, this is your decision, but I would take a long hard look at his new thread

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?168399-I-m-back-with-a-vengeance-and-undeniable-proof-of-the-Moon-Hoax&p=2446967#post2446967

Before determining whether to allow him to post again.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2933 on: April 25, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
He is on suspension again from Cosmoquest, I just joined today as I heard many people talk about it, and noticed Tim had been suspended when nosing around the format of the forum.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2934 on: April 25, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »
It is a source of never ending surprise that these characters will join a forum to ask people they won't believe for answers they don't want.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #2935 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
I believe that Jay observed him being a troll

I admit i don't have a lot of patience with the hoaxers, but wasn't that obvious on page 6, when he tried to play some argument from authority, while whining about the need to prove that authority?

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2936 on: April 25, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
It is a source of never ending surprise that these characters will join a forum to ask people they won't believe for answers they don't want.

I think Tim out Adrian's Adrian, in other words he will not listen or simply hand wave away any answer that does not align itself with his preconceived notion of fact.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #2937 on: April 25, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »

While behaving in an annoying, condescending, abbrasive manner that would get them buzzed (or is that aldrined?) in Real Life...

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #2938 on: April 25, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
Don't be quick to dismiss the radiation from old syle glow in the night devices.  They would set off alarms on the submarine the radiation was so high.
If you're thinking of the alarm on the frisker, then yes it would provided you put the probe next to the source.  I was always more concerned with the naturally occurring activity in the tiles used to protect the floor of the head/shower.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2939 on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »

I've never thought about it in those terms. I needed a smile today, and that's made me smile. Part of the issue being is that they think it makes them critical thinkers. Most of the questions I have asked in my life are to learn.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch