Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 862198 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1080 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
My favorite shows are both from BBC, Doctor who and Top Gear.  Talk about shambles, have you ever seen the American Top Gear. 

There is just something in a lot of British physical humor that doesn't work for me.  I've always preferred the Argument Clinic to the Ministry of Silly Walks.
You should watch The Goodies. British made, from the 1970s, but it was played repeatedly on Australian TV in the 1980s (much more than in the UK). Lots of physical humour and funny one-liners, but many of the shows actually covered serious topics of the time ("Apart Height" for one).
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1081 on: January 22, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »
My favorite shows are both from BBC, Doctor who and Top Gear.  Talk about shambles, have you ever seen the American Top Gear. 

There is just something in a lot of British physical humor that doesn't work for me.  I've always preferred the Argument Clinic to the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Over either of those I'd prefer to win a million euro from a challenge on the Internet.  Steven Hawking just won $3.0 million for discovering black hole radiation, or something like that.  Why can't we get a few bills for debunking Heiwa?

'Allo, 'allo!. Best comedy from the BBC.  Ever.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1082 on: January 22, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »
I don't know if Heiwa will be back for more, now that he has wandered off to pastures new.

if he does, then I'm waiting for a response to post 1018. I'd also like to hear his views on Ralf Vandenbergh's amazing site....
http://ralfvandebergh.startje.be/

And I'm waiting for a retraction of this ridiculous claim:
Telescope? Doubt it. Object moves too quickly. Photos of it being the ISS published are fake.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #1083 on: January 22, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »
And now you've given me the terrifying image of an American version of Doctor Who.

Noooooooo. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1084 on: January 22, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »

Over either of those I'd prefer to win a million euro from a challenge on the Internet.  Steven Hawking just won $3.0 million for discovering black hole radiation, or something like that.  Why can't we get a few bills for debunking Heiwa?

And now you've given me the terrifying image of an American version of Doctor Who.

The Movie was bad enough (well, actually, wasn't so bad, and Paul McGann made an even better Doctor in his later work with Big Finish.  But a series?  I shudder.)

Having seen some of the proposals for that planned revival, the fact that we ended up with something that actually remained quite true to the spirit of the show is little short of a miracle. 'Power up the crystals, Cardinal!' indeed....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Heiwa

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1085 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
1084 posts so far and nobody has claimed my €1 M - see post #1.
Of course it is very difficult but maybe somebody has learnt something? Bye, bye!

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #1086 on: January 22, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
I basically redid Bob's calculations from a couple of posts earlier.  Thought it would be better to effectively spam the threads with the calculations he says don't exist.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #1087 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
I basically redid Bob's calculations from a couple of posts earlier.  Thought it would be better to effectively spam the threads with the calculations he says don't exist.

Yeah, this "no one has answered my question" nonsense is getting really old.  One of the reason I quoted my post from here was to show that not only has his question been answered, but that is was answered weeks ago.

I've also tried to re-frame the issue with my question in posts #119 and #154.  My question is just a straightforward physics problem involving force, mass and time.  I'm trying to find out what points Heiwa agrees with and what points he doesn't.  If he'll agree that the thrust and duration was adequate to produce the change in velocity, then the question becomes "can a mass flow rate of 30.5 kg/s produce a thrust of 94,000 N?"  Although I'm sure he won't be any less pigheaded, at least it might allow the discussion to advance in a different direction than continuing to debate his flawed energy-balance method (since that's going nowhere).

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #1088 on: January 22, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Björkman has changed his page yet again, and the accumulated changes this time are more substantial. I am too tired to provide a diff, though. For now I'll just say that he has discovered blockquote tags and the LRV (which must have been heated to 150°C, too. :D). I think this makes the first mention of the "other" missions on the page, but I may be wrong.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #1089 on: January 22, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »

There was, it was Doctor Who: The Movie, the 8th Doc's only onscreen appearance - a relaunch and BBC-US production aimed at the US market. Very underrated, IMO.

(fingers crossed for a Doc 8 appearance in the 50th anniversary specials).
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1090 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
Björkman has changed his page yet again, and the accumulated changes this time are more substantial. I am too tired to provide a diff, though. For now I'll just say that he has discovered blockquote tags and the LRV (which must have been heated to 150°C, too. :D). I think this makes the first mention of the "other" missions on the page, but I may be wrong.
Wait a second, doesn't this mean that we are in essence, in control of his web pages?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1091 on: January 22, 2013, 08:18:02 PM »
Wait a second, doesn't this mean that we are in essence, in control of his web pages?

Bwah ha ha!  The power!  The power!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #1092 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
Only a sick mind would feed him faulty information just to see him post it to his website, and make a bigger fool of him than he is now...

Oh, wait..."I" just thought of that. :D

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1093 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
Only a sick mind would feed him faulty information just to see him post it to his website, and make a bigger fool of him than he is now...

Oh, wait..."I" just thought of that. :D
Yeah, I am feeling a little sick. What shall I do?

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1094 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »
The Krzyzewski equation proves Heiwa correct. Look it up, I am not doing your homework for you. LOL