Author Topic: The Race to Space documentary DVD  (Read 10839 times)

Offline RAF

• Mars
The Race to Space documentary DVD
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
I know I've posted about this DVD before, but can't recall where. :)

Anyhow, the attraction here, as described in this review, is the old...very old David L Wolper documentaries from the very beginning of the "space race".

Can't believe that Mike Wallace was ever that young. :)

I do recommend this DVD for it's historical value.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: The Race to Space documentary DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
Here's a YT playlist of the entire series I've watched it a couple times, and one of these days I will pick it up on DVD.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
I believe we are talking about 2 different things...you are referring to the BBC docu-drama named "The Race to Space", produced in 2005*, while my post is referring to the late 50's, early 60's documentaries by David L. Wolper.

....or am I assuming that you don't know that, when you do?

I have no problems making this a discussion of all space travel related (mostly Moon, or course :)) documentaries.)

*Actually not a bad show in itself, although a tid bit too much "drama" for my docu- mindedness.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
I believe we are talking about 2 different things...you are referring to the BBC docu-drama named "The Race to Space", produced in 2005*, while my post is referring to the late 50's, early 60's documentaries by David L. Wolper.

....or am I assuming that you don't know that, when you do?

I have no problems making this a discussion of all space travel related (mostly Moon, or course :)) documentaries.)

*Actually not a bad show in itself, although a tid bit too much "drama" for my docu- mindedness.
No, you're absolutely right, I was mistaken in thinking you were discussing the '05 BBC series. So now I'll have to check out the one you were actually talking about, thanks for the tip  :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »
I know I've posted about this DVD before, but can't recall where. :)

Finally got around to doing a search, and, yep...posted it right here on April 8th, 2012.

Can't believe I bought this twice and didn't realize it...DOH!.

...now if I could only find the other copy...

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »
I bought a DVD of Das Boot... three times.  Kept forgetting I already had it.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
There must be some deep psychological reason for that.  However given the rancor developing in the other thread, I'll not speculate.   ;)
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline armillary

• Mercury
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
There must be some deep psychological reason for that.  However given the rancor developing in the other thread, I'll not speculate.   ;)
My first copy of Das Boot stopped working altogether, so I had to buy a new one. Of course, since then I haven't actually gotten around to watching it...

If the same thing happens to my From the Earth to the Moon, there will be blood.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:49:21 AM »
My first copy of Das Boot stopped working altogether, so I had to buy a new one. Of course, since then I haven't actually gotten around to watching it...

If the same thing happens to my From the Earth to the Moon, there will be blood.

"Das Boot" is one of the few movies, that should be watched in german.

"Du, Hans"
"Ja, Gunther?"
"Hast du eigenlish haahre in der nase?"
"Ja, warum?"
"Ich habe welche im arsch. Wir können sie zusammen knöten"

Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
On my first trip to Germany, a friend's TV was showing Smokey and the Bandit dubbed into German.

That was more than a little strange...

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:54 AM »
"Du, Hans"
"Ja, Gunther?"
"Hast du eigenlish haahre in der nase?"
"Ja, warum?"
"Ich habe welche im arsch. Wir können sie zusammen knöten"
I'm sure those guys went more than just a little...strange in the head... being on top of each other for months at a time while the Allies above them were constantly trying to kill them -- and often succeeding. You remember the casualty rate quoted at the beginning of the film?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:47 AM »
Looked it up. 40.000 went out. 30.000 didn't return. - this is the english dubbed version.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:03:46 AM »
That's what I remember: a 75% casualty rate.

The Germans don't make very many WW2 movies, but the ones they do make are really good. Das Boot and Der Untergang ("Downfall") are in that category.

This kinda makes sense given how personal the war was for the average German, and that they don't have the option of making Hollywood-style potboiler war flicks with happy endings. Das Boot has one of the most ironic endings I've ever seen in a movie.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »

Agreed.  The payoff comes after more than an hour of listening to that language, when you hear the survivors of a torpedoed-merchant calling for help in english.  Chilling...
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »

??

Do you mean, as opposed to having it dubbed into English?

If so, I heartily disagree. I find it very distracting to watch foreign language movies dubbed into English. I much prefer to watch and hear them in their native languages and read the subtitles.

Back in the 1980s Mum and I used to enjoy watching the (*ahem*, how times change) West German cop show "Derrick". One of the standing jokes we shared was our inability to watch the show with the sound turned down - we both much preferred hearing the actors speak, even if we understood virtually nothing of what they said.

By contrast, I seem to remember that the mini-series "Mussolini and I" featured a large number of English-speaking actors, whose voices were then dubbed into Italian, and the show screened in Australia with subtitles. Once again, with lips not matching words, I found the experience distracting - I kept trying to see whether what the actors was saying (in English) matched the English subtitles.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org