Author Topic: Recent Claim by Musk concerning hot 2nd stage start  (Read 15346 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Recent Claim by Musk concerning hot 2nd stage start
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 10:09:55 AM »
The ignition after the flip was suspicious.  I believe that they only did it once with starship so in my mind the startup procedure needs to be refined IMO>
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2023, 06:33:27 PM »

A video recorded in Florida of the flight from the point of the Starship explosion (visible in top left), showing remnants.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 11:51:14 AM »

A video recorded in Florida of the flight from the point of the Starship explosion (visible in top left), showing remnants.
Only one comment.  It appears that the vehicle is tumbling and yet from BC vantage no tumbling was observed.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 04:14:30 PM »

Only one comment.  It appears that the vehicle is tumbling and yet from BC vantage no tumbling was observed.

Sorry, not sure I follow. I didn't know there were post-explosion videos of Starship from Boca Chica.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »

Sorry, not sure I follow. I didn't know there were post-explosion videos of Starship from Boca Chica.
Look at a video more closely you will see the apparent FTS explosion at the back of the stage and then nothing.
Eugene Cernan

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 09:26:43 PM »
I haven’t really followed Starship development.  But it clearly won’t be ready for a nominal 2025* lunar landing mission.  In addition to the vehicle accomplishing the controlled flight profiles that will be necessary, the crew systems will all need to built, integrated, and tested - I have no idea of their development status, but the execrable safety record of Musk-run companies, and my general contempt for Musk as a human being in general and an American in particular, likely colors my uninformed viewpoint.

*I don’t know if that’s still the advertised date.  I’ve been more in the line of discouraging (rather assertively) things from flying, rather than encouraging them to do so, lately.

P.S. (waves) Hi, everybody.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 02:06:14 PM »

I saw somewhere (on Youtube but I cannot remember which channel) that this is a video taken after the RUD not before it, of only part of the top half of the second stage, a piece which survived the explosion, flipping over and over as it fell out of the sky. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 02:08:24 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2023, 02:26:23 PM »

I saw somewhere (on Youtube but I cannot remember which channel) that this is a video taken after the RUD not before it, of only part of the top half of the second stage, a piece which survived the explosion, flipping over and over as it fell out of the sky.
If the RUD was a result in the FTS, then that didn't work so well.  Scott Manley suggested in one of his videos, that there may have been a leak in the oxygen system, look at the oxygen and methane graphs closely, oxygen is GT methane up until almost the RUD, then there was the RUD with oxygen below methane, seemed like a leak fueled the RUD.  But the "upper" portion of the starship seems reasonable. thanks
Eugene Cernan