Author Topic: Challenger disaster 30 years ago  (Read 15348 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Challenger disaster 30 years ago
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
I was 1 so puked up my mushed carrots when I heard and threw my cuddly frog across the room. Maybe.

I remember Columbia though. We'd just got back from visiting my grandfather in Bournemouth and the first inkling was when I saw a thread on BABB saying contact had been been lost. I immediately went to the TV to see if it was being covered and indeed it was the only story on BBC News 24.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 05:15:42 AM »
Buggered my whole week. So sad.
Then Columbia!
Per Ardua ad Astra!
Too often we forget, these things are, barely, controlled bombs!

Sloop!

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:32 AM »
I was working for BT in London, I used to dial up the live launch number in the US, as our phones were un-metered, and listen to launches. Never forget the disbelief when I told the others in the office, that the orbiter had exploded. I went home early that day just to listen to the news reports.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 05:46:02 AM »
As Snopes points out, those people alive today all have verifiable pasts which go back to before the Challenger accident. In addition, why would NASA let these people live under the same surnames and in some cases even the same name (for example Judith Resnik) after they've supposedly died in the Challenger accident. It's not just that the claim is verifiably untrue, it doesn't even make sense.

And look at 0:59 in that video - - that's a picture of Laurel Clark NOT Christa McAuliffe. The idiot who made the video and the gullible CT chumps who fell for it didn't even bother to notice the name badge on her flight suit. So, in a single video, the CTers think Sharon "Christa" McAuliffe looks exactly like two separate people who don't even look like each other and who have a 13 year difference in age. I've also found some mid 1980s photos of law professor Resnick - she doesn't look anything like astronaut Resnick at that time AND was publicly giving evidence to a judicial appointments committee in Washington. And look at the gap in "Ron McNair's" teeth. The real Ron didn't have that, but his brother Carl does.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:59:31 AM by BertieSlack »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
As Snopes points out, those people alive today all have verifiable pasts which go back to before the Challenger accident. In addition, why would NASA let these people live under the same surnames and in some cases even the same name (for example Judith Resnik) after they've supposedly died in the Challenger accident. It's not just that the claim is verifiably untrue, it doesn't even make sense.

And look at 0:59 in that video - - that's a picture of Laurel Clark NOT Christa McAuliffe. The idiot who made the video and the gullible CT chumps who fell for it didn't even bother to notice the name badge on her flight suit. So, in a single video, the CTers think Sharon "Christa" McAuliffe looks exactly like two separate people who don't even look like each other and who have a 13 year difference in age. I've also found some mid 1980s photos of law professor Resnick - she doesn't look anything like astronaut Resnick at that time AND was publicly giving evidence to a judicial appointments committee in Washington. And look at the gap in "Ron McNair's" teeth. The real Ron didn't have that, but his brother Carl does.
I don't understand the constant bashing of NASA, from the FE to the Moon hoaxers, to this nonsense.  I guess the CT's have to have a target of opportunity.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »
It's guv'ment.  That makes it an easy target.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
It's guv'ment.  That makes it an easy target.
Correct, but it seems odd, but maybe that is because I'm as old as dirt.  We were taught to respect the government when I was a youngster.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
Correct, but it seems odd, but maybe that is because I'm as old as dirt.  We were taught to respect the government when I was a youngster.

Maybe so, but it's hardly as though people younger than you invented mistrust of government.  For one, you have to admit that a fair few people in government have done untrustworthy things; ask Richard Nixon.  That said, it's hardly as though Watergate created the concept of distrusting government.  That's definitely a "same as it ever was."  I'm pretty sure they tried to teach us to respect the government, too, but then when I was in high school, Clinton apologized for the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment.  A lot of my generation reacts to the government with an attitude of "trust, but verify."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

Maybe so, but it's hardly as though people younger than you invented mistrust of government.  For one, you have to admit that a fair few people in government have done untrustworthy things; ask Richard Nixon.  That said, it's hardly as though Watergate created the concept of distrusting government.  That's definitely a "same as it ever was."  I'm pretty sure they tried to teach us to respect the government, too, but then when I was in high school, Clinton apologized for the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment.  A lot of my generation reacts to the government with an attitude of "trust, but verify."
I'll go with "trust, but verify.", but verification should be facts not BS.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Absolutely.  But hoax belief is dying out, meaning that the younger generation is actually less likely to believe it than their elders.  So you can't blame believing BS on youth.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Absolutely.  But hoax belief is dying out, meaning that the younger generation is actually less likely to believe it than their elders.  So you can't blame believing BS on youth.
Well, I think we can, in a way, it's just that the youth who were interested in it in the 2nd wave (created just after 9/11 I hypothesise) have grown up, and the current  crop just isn't interested.
It's important to note that some people seem to take things like this as more a political opinion more than truth, like "Oh, you think the US government is great? Well, guess what, they faked the moon landings!"

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »
I'm not as sure about that as you are.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:52 AM »

What part?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »

What part?
The dying out part.  On this board the activity seems to be less but on YT it is still active.  In fact hunchback recently posted two videos and there are others.
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

What part?
The dying out part.  On this board the activity seems to be less but on YT it is still active.  In fact hunchback recently posted two videos and there are others.

He's been at it for 6 years and doesn't even have a 1000 subs yet. The more well known Jarrah White has been at it for 8 years and has about 6500 subs. The young lady with the Vintage Space channel has over 40,000 subs after only 3 years. Then there was the Moon Hoax Not video that blew away all of both Hunchbacked and Jarrahs combined videos when it came to viewer count in a pretty short time frame. It doesn't seem to me like the moon landing hoax theory is gaining any meaningful ground.