Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 16928 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Brexit
« on: June 12, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
There's a few guys at work from various European countries and this is a bit of a hot topic as I'm sure you can imagine. Not sure how others might think but it seems this political cartoon sums it all up nicely:

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
This has been the most horrendous campaign in the history of ever. I'm so glad I wasn't in Scotland two years ago.

Anyway, Leave do have some good points about the flaws in the EU setup. But we're here now and I don't want us to be that guy.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
What the cartoon doesn't show is the drop on the other side of the horizon. Staying with the EU might have consequences, but so will leaving.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
The big question is how late should I stay up to watch the results? I stayed up all night last year for the GE, but that was one of the most sensational elections of recent times. Gripping stuff. Will this one being as entertaining to watch unfold?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:13:22 AM »
I certainly can't pretend to understand all the issues in the debate, but I did get a pretty good laugh out of this video featuring Patrick Stewart:

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 06:12:40 AM »
Such a voice.

Although I'm pretty sure we were well rid of slavery long before the ECHR.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:45:17 AM »
The slave trade, yes; actual slavery, not so much.
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
That cartoon is awful. It looks like something Punch would have rejected for being too heavy-handed back in 1850.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Online bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »
I certainly can't pretend to understand all the issues in the debate, but I did get a pretty good laugh out of this video featuring Patrick Stewart:

Last week I was in a location that wasn't friendly to downloading videos  This was my opportunity to view it. A lot of tongue in cheek humor.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
It's very depressing.  I got back from holiday yesterday to find a Vote Leave leaflet called "EU: The Facts".  Most of the "facts" don't stand up to any scrutiny, but apparently they are widely believed.  At one point in the campaign, Boris Johnson claimed that you couldn't buy more than three bananas in a bunch because of EU red tape. Does he ever shop for food?  The EU seems to be blamed for everything people dislike about the country today, regardless.

The Remain campaign is also dismal, consisting of exaggerated claims of what will happen if we leave.  Why doesn't anyone seem to actually want to belong in the EU or ever mention the advantages?

I fear a vote to leave will leave us somewhat poorer but with little else changed. I hope the believers in a bright new dawn wont turn to violence in their disappointment, but after the murder of the MP and immigrants saying they are already frightened by changing attitudes, who knows?
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »
The EU shot my cat. And I don't even have a cat.

Online bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
The EU shot my cat. And I don't even have a cat.
IMO, and I don't have a horse in the race, I believe that status quo will win out.  The devil you know versus the devil you don't know.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
I'm just cheesed off with the polarised campaigning, one side claiming the UK will drown under the weight of EU migration. The other side saying we will face Economic Armageddon. :D 
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
From my visit to Belgium last summer, a photo from inside the Hemicycle.  As always with these things, it's smaller than it look on TV.  Also a photo of the Commission building on a nice sunny afternoon in Brussels, which is better than the morning when it was pissing it down.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:14 AM »
I feel embarrassed and ashamed to be British today.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.