Author Topic: Van Allen's "Nonsense" Quote  (Read 17165 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Van Allen's "Nonsense" Quote
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Dan O'Bannon, the writer, decided he might be more successful with a serious version of the film, which became the Alien franchise.

I'm surprised Van Allen made a comment at all about hoax theories.  Normally that sort of popular nonsense flies far below the radar of prominent scientists.  But having run across the quote on the original forum, I decided it was both important enough and intellectually responsible to confirm it directly with him.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
...BryanPR, "Benson, Arizona"??? WTF?? LOL.
Hey, I like Benson.  Little town tucked away off of I-10 not far east of Tucson. 

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
...BryanPR, "Benson, Arizona"??? WTF?? LOL.
Hey, I like Benson.  Little town tucked away off of I-10 not far east of Tucson.

In my trip around the country I was going to go down that way to visit my niece, but they were calling for 110 degree weather for about 5 days. (The first week of May). It was going to be 100+ even up toward the north of NM. So I made a right turn at Albuquerque and headed to Salida, Colorado. Glad I did...the mountains were breathtaking.

Guess what happened my second night there.

It snowed!

(Sorry Jay, I just didn't make it to your part of Utah. If I had, I surely would have tried to meet up with you.)
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
So I made a right turn at Albuquerque...
Ah yes. The right turn at Alba-kerky...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 03:23:47 AM »
Kind of on-topic:

The Van Allen Belt dosimeters built into the CSM hull - were they entirely automatic or did they require any crew intervention?

I know there are brief summaries in the mission reports, but are the data publicly available?

Usual need for information - to shut up a loon.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 04:02:46 AM »

Let's hope he avoided the Slauson Cutoff.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
Kind of on-topic:

The Van Allen Belt dosimeters built into the CSM hull - were they entirely automatic or did they require any crew intervention?

I know there are brief summaries in the mission reports, but are the data publicly available?

Won't work - it's from NASA so it's faked. That'll be their counter-argument.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »

Let's hope he avoided the Slauson Cutoff.

Or he'll have to cut off his Slauson....... Yeah. I'm old.  ;D
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
Kind of on-topic:

There's always the results from Zond 5 and 7.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Kind of on-topic:

There's always the results from Zond 5 and 7.

Good stuff, I'll save that.

However this particular troll is insisting that the crew needed to know how to work the VAB dosimeter, otherwise they would die, so more info on that specific device would help give him something else to ignore.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 08:21:48 PM »

Nice. I was hoping I wasn't the only relic here.   ;)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
However this particular troll is insisting that the crew needed to know how to work the VAB dosimeter, otherwise they would die, so more info on that specific device would help give him something else to ignore.

That doesn't even make sense.  As long as they didn't get the lethal dose, why would it matter if they knew how much they actually did get?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »
Were there dosimeters in the CSM hull? I know about the dosimeters the crews carried in their pockets. They read them down to the earth every day. Sample exchange, from Apollo 11:
036:05:38 Aldrin: Roger. Are you ready to copy some numbers on the status report, et cetera?

036:05:42 Duke: Roger. Go ahead. Over. [Pause.]

036:05:49 Aldrin: Okay. Radiation CDR, 11005; CMP, 10006; LMP, 09007. Medication negative. And I got some battery and RCS numbers for you.
No, the three crewmembers didn't receive widely different exposures. The three dosimeters were set to different starting values to help reduce the chance of a mixup between them. Extra credit for figuring out what those starting values were.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
0, 1 and 2?

edit: The first two digits were also an indication of whose dosimeter it was.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:43:11 AM by Allan F »
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

Nice. I was hoping I wasn't the only relic here.   ;)

And what movie is Art Fern showing today?

(You ain't the only one!)