Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 424312 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1575 on: November 05, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
One was that the millions of dollars spent on TV ads by the Democrats appear to have had no effect on changing people's minds.

The other was that the success of the Democrats in Georgia has been due to the work of Stacey Abrams in building the party up by the grassroots.

I feel old-guard Democrats are still deluded into believing elections are still all about issues and candidates and rational evaluation.  There's a great piece in today's Washington Post about Republican victory simply being making the liberals cry.  Beyond that there's really no policy, no agenda, no sense that they're actually now going to have to lead a country and make decisions.  Electoral politics in America seem now to be simply about winning as an expression of dominance.

I do believe I've made a couple of comments in the last year or so about the importance of doing exactly that. Assuming it's an accurate assessment, hopefully the party in other states will follow her example.

I think younger Democrats would be very open to that.  Evan McMullin started a right-of-center party here in Utah with just grass-roots efforts to lure moderate Republicans away from the Tea Party.  They're still one of our recognized state parties.  It proves the effect of bottom-up coalition instead of top-down indoctrination.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1576 on: November 05, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
Listening to Trumps speech live, he is clearly insane.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1577 on: November 05, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »

I half expected him to declare himself Emperor. It turned out to be nothing but a bunch of false claims about fraud, and a pity party. He's pathetic.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1578 on: November 05, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »

Maybe Dr. Grande will have an analysis up soon.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1579 on: November 05, 2020, 09:19:25 PM »
Here in Australia it seems we elect footballers instead. Or journalists.

In Italy, they had Ilona Staller, a.k.a. Cicciolina...
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1580 on: November 05, 2020, 09:44:28 PM »

We had an olympic medalist shortputter for 4 years. What a waste of oxygen.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1581 on: November 05, 2020, 10:17:08 PM »

We had an olympic medalist shortputter for 4 years. What a waste of oxygen.

Australia has Pauline Hanson. Absolutely an oxygen bandit.

Her claim to fame was she owned a fish & chip shop.....
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:28:30 PM by Obviousman »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1582 on: November 05, 2020, 11:39:56 PM »
Her claim to fame was she owned a fish & chip shop.....

Did it lose $900 million?

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1583 on: November 06, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
Not relevant to anything in particular, but something I found really uplifting in the last week or so before the election: hearing Barack Obama in full flight.

Such a great speaker...
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1584 on: November 06, 2020, 10:21:52 AM »
Indeed, we can cite many past Presidents who were thoughtful, articulate, compassionate, and intelligent.  And it's hard to imagine how anyone could disagree with that.  But in fact a large fraction of America has come to regard such talents as signs of liberal elitism.  Rather than being comforted and inspired by such performances, they're put off by them.  They've been conditioned to regard them as Establishment leadership that's far removed from their everyday problems.

In contrast, there was a guy reviewing The Comey Rule in some ephemeral video who pointed out that Donald Trump has never finished a sentence in his life.  Hyperbole aside, he's not very wrong.  It's something I've always referred to as a "stream of semi-consciousness."  And ironically this appeals to vast numbers of Americans.  Despite his being inarticulate and illiterate, Trump comes across to his base as speaking from the heart directly to them, instead of carefully-prepared, politically-vetted speeches.

They're already talking about running Trump again in 2024.  I honestly don't think he'll live that long.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1585 on: November 06, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »
Indeed, we can cite many past Presidents who were thoughtful, articulate, compassionate, and intelligent.  And it's hard to imagine how anyone could disagree with that.  But in fact a large fraction of America has come to regard such talents as signs of liberal elitism.  Rather than being comforted and inspired by such performances, they're put off by them.  They've been conditioned to regard them as Establishment leadership that's far removed from their everyday problems.

In contrast, there was a guy reviewing The Comey Rule in some ephemeral video who pointed out that Donald Trump has never finished a sentence in his life.  Hyperbole aside, he's not very wrong.  It's something I've always referred to as a "stream of semi-consciousness."  And ironically this appeals to vast numbers of Americans.  Despite his being inarticulate and illiterate, Trump comes across to his base as speaking from the heart directly to them, instead of carefully-prepared, politically-vetted speeches.

They're already talking about running Trump again in 2024.  I honestly don't think he'll live that long.

But it's okay if their pastors are articulate?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1586 on: November 06, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
So what odds are being given for Trump to actually concede the election?
Come on Donny be the big man. 1000-1 on him actually doing it.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1587 on: November 06, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »

I'm genuinely shocked he's lived this long.  Clearly he's not a man who let the stress of the Presidency get to him; I suppose that would have required actually doing the work of being President.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1588 on: November 06, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »

I don't think he will concede because that would be an admission that he lost. He will accuse people of stealing the election, call it a coup, and maintain that until the day he dies.

I do think he will flip his desk and quit, making Pence a temporary seat warmer for Biden (I hope Biden hasn't made any merchandise with the number 46 on it yet). At the very least Trump will just play golf until January 20th. Why would he start doing the job now?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1589 on: November 06, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »

Not even that high.  Voluntary concession of failure is not in his character.  I gather his strategy is to be handed the Presidency by the judiciary his party has spent so much time packing with allies, irrespective of what voters actually say.  And if they fail to do that, he'll blame them for being corrupt.  Yes, he may relinquish the White House, but only under whiny protest.  And his followers will spend four years claiming Joe Biden stole the election.  Keep in mind what happened in 2016 when he legitimately won the Electoral College vote, but claimed he would have won the popular vote too if not for millions of fraudulent votes.  He will never, ever concede that he lost the election.