Author Topic: Questions needing answers  (Read 143919 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Questions needing answers
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »
I thought "we've got a real numpty here" when he spouted this pearl of wisdom...

Indeed, the typical pattern is that someone with almost no correct working knowledge stumbles across a few of the hoax books or web sites and wrongly believes the stuff in them is correct science.  Then they get up on the stump with those links at the ready and, again wrongly, believe they can pretend to be an expert without getting badly beaten up.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
Indeed, the typical pattern is that someone with almost no correct working knowledge stumbles across a few of the hoax books or web sites and wrongly believes the stuff in them is correct science.  Then they get up on the stump with those links at the ready and, again wrongly, believe they can pretend to be an expert without getting badly beaten up.

The Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2015/02/the-dunning-kruger-effect-are-the-stupid-too-stupid-to-realize-theyre-stupid/
"the incompetent.....overestimate their own skill level and they lack the metacognition to realize their error. In other words, they were too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence."

The only bit that doesn't apply to the likes of tradosaurus is that their mind's are so closed that they rarely increase their skills so the effect of "Improving their metacognitive skills drove down their self-assessment scores as they became better evaluators of their own limitations". Tradosaurus is so emotionally and religiously wedded to his beliefs that he almost certainly will not become a better judge of his own incompetence.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »

The Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2015/02/the-dunning-kruger-effect-are-the-stupid-too-stupid-to-realize-theyre-stupid/
"the incompetent.....overestimate their own skill level and they lack the metacognition to realize their error. In other words, they were too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence."

The only bit that doesn't apply to the likes of tradosaurus is that their mind's are so closed that they rarely increase their skills so the effect of "Improving their metacognitive skills drove down their self-assessment scores as they became better evaluators of their own limitations". Tradosaurus is so emotionally and religiously wedded to his beliefs that he almost certainly will not become a better judge of his own incompetence.
Just like an alcoholic, the first step is to accept the fact he is incompetent. I'm not holding my breath waiting on that. ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
No, I knew and know that (anything else would mean that the Earth wasn't orbiting the Sun and the sky wouldn't change with the seasons, something else for Trad to ponder).  That's why I'm trying to see if there's a straightforward formula that I never found or figured out.

A quick and dirty formula for the RA at Greenwich is number of days since January 0.0 ÷ 15 + GMT - 17.4 hours. Apply your longitude ÷ 15° to get the RA at your meridian.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2016, 07:23:26 PM »

No, I knew and know that (anything else would mean that the Earth wasn't orbiting the Sun and the sky wouldn't change with the seasons, something else for Trad to ponder).  That's why I'm trying to see if there's a straightforward formula that I never found or figured out.

A quick and dirty formula for the RA at Greenwich is number of days since January 0.0 ÷ 15 + GMT - 17.4 hours. Apply your longitude ÷ 15° to get the RA at your meridian.
Thank you!  That was like getting a splinter removed after 45 years!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »

Thank you!  That was like getting a splinter removed after 45 years!
I only had a splinter in me for about 6 months, that must've really felt better. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
Indeed, the typical pattern is that someone with almost no correct working knowledge stumbles across a few of the hoax books or web sites and wrongly believes the stuff in them is correct science.
And they go around proclaiming how much of an independent thinker they are!

That's the truly ironic part.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »
Indeed, the typical pattern is that someone with almost no correct working knowledge stumbles across a few of the hoax books or web sites and wrongly believes the stuff in them is correct science.
And they go around proclaiming how much of an independent thinker they are!

That's the truly ironic part.
Independent and "critical"!
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
After a brief flurry of gish-gashing from tradosaurus the forum has settled back down to a few posts per day. Or, at least until the next troll chances his arm by wandering over from YouTube. It's becoming familiar, isn't it? A rapid gish-gallop of BS, followed by a banning.

More evidence that the whole Moon landing hoax is virtually dead......
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
I said on my blog that re the Apollo Hoax, the geeks won -- and everyone should have seen it coming. The hoaxies challenged the internet, and when given choice of weapons foolishly went for "Science!" And if the interwebs breeds nothing else it would be tech-savvy, argumentative science nerds with a thing for space.

The only time they manage to make headway is when they keep it murky, political, and emotional. But there are a lot of more interesting murky, political, and emotional conspiracy theories competing for eyeballs -- on this arena, the Apollo Hoaxies lost to, well, Cthulhu.

(Timely illustration; Chrome's spellcheck stumbled on "Sibrel" while I was composing this post, but it easily recognized Old Squid-Face.)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
I said on my blog that re the Apollo Hoax, the geeks won -- and everyone should have seen it coming. The hoaxies challenged the internet, and when given choice of weapons foolishly went for "Science!" And if the interwebs breeds nothing else it would be tech-savvy, argumentative science nerds with a thing for space.

The only time they manage to make headway is when they keep it murky, political, and emotional. But there are a lot of more interesting murky, political, and emotional conspiracy theories competing for eyeballs -- on this arena, the Apollo Hoaxies lost to, well, Cthulhu.

(Timely illustration; Chrome's spellcheck stumbled on "Sibrel" while I was composing this post, but it easily recognized Old Squid-Face.)
Now that is a description. :)
Cthulhu, now that was a new one for me, I had to look it up and find a cosmic entity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Now that is a description. :)
Cthulhu, now that was a new one for me, I had to look it up and find a cosmic entity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
HP Lovecraft may have been racist to the point it even looked absurd at the time, but damn if he didn't create something awesome. ^_^  Cosmic Horror has such a different texture than some slasher slicing up screaming, semi-naked teenagers.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:04 AM »

That should be "indepandend and criticel", correct spelling and spell checkers are evil mainstream...

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:26 PM »

That should be "indepandend and criticel", correct spelling and spell checkers are evil mainstream...
Sarcasm is a seven letter word beginning with 'S'.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2016, 06:02:29 PM »
I was doing some searching for the batteries that the Apollo Hasselblad cameras used.  I couldn't find a direct article, but IIRC they were either Zinc or Silver nicades.  Is this correct ? If anyone has a link bookmarked, please provide.
Eugene Cernan