Author Topic: Questions needing answers  (Read 140993 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Questions needing answers
« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »
IIRC during a 40th anniversary of the mission Al Worden described the fuel/oxidizer create holes in that chute, of course that description was of a 40 year old event.

He may have confused an earlier test where the oxidizer burned the lines and part of the canopy.  In an earlier version of the safing procedure I described, the fuel was exhausted before the oxidizer, which then just spewed out unreacted from the RCS.  The oxidizer is extremely reactive and reacted with the material of the parachutes and rigging.  To solve this problem they short-loaded the oxidizer -- essentially paying more attention to the mixture ratios.  This ensured the oxidizer ran out before the fuel.  The fuel is unreactive in any way that harms the parachutes.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:38 PM »
IIRC during a 40th anniversary of the mission Al Worden described the fuel/oxidizer create holes in that chute, of course that description was of a 40 year old event.

He may have confused an earlier test where the oxidizer burned the lines and part of the canopy.  In an earlier version of the safing procedure I described, the fuel was exhausted before the oxidizer, which then just spewed out unreacted from the RCS.  The oxidizer is extremely reactive and reacted with the material of the parachutes and rigging.  To solve this problem they short-loaded the oxidizer -- essentially paying more attention to the mixture ratios.  This ensured the oxidizer ran out before the fuel.  The fuel is unreactive in any way that harms the parachutes.
I didn't remember whether he said fuel or oxidizer that is why I put it that way.  Yes it is possible we all tend to faulty memories when it is that long ago, your turn is coming up! ;)

ETA link to 40th anniversary video for any that would care to watch.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:58:28 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
Now, it's amusing and all to listen to you bluster and say ridiculous things, and to point out your various ineptitudes, but only for a little while.  You're not a very innovative troll; to keep us amused, you need to put a little more effort into it.  For example, pretend to acknowledge a couple of your more glaring errors, then circle around and try a fringe reset in a couple of days.  Your schtick has gone flat; your service life as a cat toy has expired.  No more attention for you unless you put some effort into your trolling.

Personally, I'm not so sure about tradosoupus needing to put in some effort.  What I've been hoping for from him ever since he arrived here, is just a teeny bit of intelligence.

Y'know, the type of intelligence that we're used to seeing here over and over from real engineers. Not the type of childish drivel put forth by hoax-believers and pretend-engineers, and with the complete lack of evidence for their claims.

So come on, trado, show us what you're really capable of. We've had more than enough of all the things you can't do and you're becoming really tiresome on that count. Or have we already seen the maximum brilliance you're capable of? During your studies for your engineering degree, did they not teach you a thing about presenting evidence and proof?

Just one little question about your many claims.  I watched Sputnik 1 pass over when it was first visible from my part of New Zealand on the night of Wednesday 9 October 1957 at 8:06 pm NZST.  And I followed the American side of the space race including Ranger, Surveyor, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.  There was never much news from the Soviets -- only brief reports when they had a success and nothing at all about their failures. They were the complete opposite of the Americans.

Anyway, IIRC you've claimed that NASA influenced and brainwashed those of us who followed the space race and moon-landings, but NASA didn't even exist during the first few Sputnik flights, and I've never been directly contacted by NASA.

So how did NASA do those things to me, and to all the other New Zealanders who followed the same things that I did? And our Australian neighbours?
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
Now, it's amusing and all to listen to you bluster and say ridiculous things, and to point out your various ineptitudes, but only for a little while.  You're not a very innovative troll; to keep us amused, you need to put a little more effort into it.  For example, pretend to acknowledge a couple of your more glaring errors, then circle around and try a fringe reset in a couple of days.  Your schtick has gone flat; your service life as a cat toy has expired.  No more attention for you unless you put some effort into your trolling.

Personally, I'm not so sure about tradosoupus needing to put in some effort.  What I've been hoping for from him ever since he arrived here, is just a teeny bit of intelligence.

Y'know, the type of intelligence that we're used to seeing here over and over from real engineers. Not the type of childish drivel put forth by hoax-believers and pretend-engineers, and with the complete lack of evidence for their claims.

So come on, trado, show us what you're really capable of. We've had more than enough of all the things you can't do and you're becoming really tiresome on that count. Or have we already seen the maximum brilliance you're capable of? During your studies for your engineering degree, did they not teach you a thing about presenting evidence and proof?

Just one little question about your many claims.  I watched Sputnik 1 pass over when it was first visible from my part of New Zealand on the night of Wednesday 9 October 1957 at 8:06 pm NZST.  And I followed the American side of the space race including Ranger, Surveyor, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.  There was never much news from the Soviets -- only brief reports when they had a success and nothing at all about their failures. They were the complete opposite of the Americans.

Anyway, IIRC you've claimed that NASA influenced and brainwashed those of us who followed the space race and moon-landings, but NASA didn't even exist during the first few Sputnik flights, and I've never been directly contacted by NASA.

So how did NASA do those things to me, and to all the other New Zealanders who followed the same things that I did? And our Australian neighbours?
Yes, NASA was formed after the hysteria created by Sputnik, along with Eisenhower's determination to have a civilian agency controlling the US space activities.  This in part was to prevent the Soviets from overreacting to any of our launches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:11 AM »
Of course, Thierry Legault's work is just tremendous.  All of us have seen satellites in orbit.  M. Legault has photographed astronauts in orbit.  Of course, I'm just posting this for the enjoyment of the regulars, but our current Visting Chair in Pretend Engineering is also welcome.

Not to mention Ralf Vanderburgh:
http://www.space.com/13774-skywatcher-photos-russian-phobos-grunt-probe.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_Vandebergh

Or Rob Bullen
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/28/ridiculously-awesome-pic-of-discovery-and-the-iss-taken-from-the-ground/#.VrNSuFnKNZg

Or Paulo Contini:
http://astrob.in/65817/0/

Or, indeed, all these amateur astronomers from all over the world:
Click Me

All of whom use computerised telescope mounts to locate and track fast moving objects like the ISS. Which can only work if the Earth is a globe and the solar system works as described. Bear in mind that many of the control software is written by dedicated amateurs who rely on publicly available timings (such as J2000, which can only work if the Universe moves as described.

I'd love to hear a FE* believer try and describe how that all works......

*not really  ::)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
Of course, Thierry Legault's work is just tremendous.  All of us have seen satellites in orbit.  M. Legault has photographed astronauts in orbit.  Of course, I'm just posting this for the enjoyment of the regulars, but our current Visting Chair in Pretend Engineering is also welcome.

Not to mention Ralf Vanderburgh:
http://www.space.com/13774-skywatcher-photos-russian-phobos-grunt-probe.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_Vandebergh

Or Rob Bullen
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/28/ridiculously-awesome-pic-of-discovery-and-the-iss-taken-from-the-ground/#.VrNSuFnKNZg

Or Paulo Contini:
http://astrob.in/65817/0/

Or, indeed, all these amateur astronomers from all over the world:
Click Me

All of whom use computerised telescope mounts to locate and track fast moving objects like the ISS. Which can only work if the Earth is a globe and the solar system works as described. Bear in mind that many of the control software is written by dedicated amateurs who rely on publicly available timings (such as J2000, which can only work if the Universe moves as described.

I'd love to hear a FE* believer try and describe how that all works......

*not really  ::)
Of course he will claim they are all CGI, like before.  The stupid burns brightly in this one.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
Of course he will claim they are all CGI, like before.  The stupid burns brightly in this one.

Any fool can claim anything that they like. It counts for nothing. To get more than a milisecond's notice the claim has to be shown that it is the case.

I can go out now and switch my observatory on. I can open a a few different planetarium programs (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium), both of which were written by amateurs in different parts of the world and are free (so no money involved). The programs can then connect to a SiTech controller (made in America) which controls my Mesu200 telescope mount (which is made in the Netherlands). All these systems talk to one another via an open-source application called ASCOM which is developed and distributed free-of-charge by developers dotted all over the world. I can then click on any star/planet/satellite in the planetarium and the mount will slew and track those objects.

All of this would only work if the Universe works as described. It would be impossible for so many elements, from so many different people and from so many parts of the world to be operating as part of a conspiracy. Only a complete moron would think otherwise.

So, as I said, any fool can claim anything that they like. Heck, they can even believe it. They might even be able to show a YouTube video as evidence of their crackpottery. But unless they can show it to be true and that it works in the real world, then they are talking through their rectum.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
Is this really the level of post people here consider worth a response?

LunarOrbit: I've been mostly inactive for a couple years, here, but I think this is the point at which you can pull the plug. Please inactivate my account. I see no advantage for me, and the response I've just backspaced over to type this would earn me your ire.

If anyone wants to contact me I'm still at International Skeptics, now known as Jrrarglblarg.

No! Don't go! 

Besides, if you think we're easily trolled here....

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »

LunarOrbit: I've been mostly inactive for a couple years, here, but I think this is the point at which you can pull the plug. Please inactivate my account. I see no advantage for me, and the response I've just backspaced over to type this would earn me your ire.

If anyone wants to contact me I'm still at International Skeptics, now known as Jrrarglblarg.

We're on a hiding to nothing really. If we take people like this seriously and tackle their arguments they can brag about how they've stirred us up and forced us to leap to the defence of our religion.

If we ignore them, they can go away and crow about how we had no response to their claims.

Personally, I've never been a believer in 'no platform for...whatever'. I think stupidity and bigotry should be aired and confronted, no matter how ridiculous the claim.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
We're on a hiding to nothing really. If we take people like this seriously and tackle their arguments they can brag about how they've stirred us up and forced us to leap to the defence of our religion.

If we ignore them, they can go away and crow about how we had no response to their claims.

The only mistaken notion is to believe one can prevail against such stupidity in the way we define winning.  Troll or nut-job, not a one of them will ever back down.  However, if you confront the claims at face value, the other side of the story is on the table and available for others to see.  The best cure for bad speech is better speech.

That said, there arrives a point of diminishing returns when a claimant's approach is manifestly irrational.  Tradosaurus hit that point a few days ago.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »

Personally, I've never been a believer in 'no platform for...whatever'. I think stupidity and bigotry should be aired and confronted, no matter how ridiculous the claim.
Ignore the drama also, he doesn't need LRO to inactivate his account, just select the un-notify on any/all threads and go quietly into the night.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Questions needing answers
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »
The posts from the astronomers, professional and amateur, in this thread lead me to ask for some assistance, something that I'm embarrassed to ask for here, because it's probably pretty simple once you understand it. 

I know that an astronomer (and navigator with a sextant) can point a telescope at a star or other object in space using coordinates.  Declination I get - so many degrees above or below the ecliptic.  What I have never, ever figured out is Right Ascension.   Even when I was young and my parents indulged me with a refractor telescope with an Equatorial mount, I could not, for the life of me, reverse engineer, after pointing at known star (say, Pullox) and figure out how I could just take the coordinates off the chart and point at another star.

It's embarrassing because I can navigate superbly using earth-based systems to within 60 seconds of my ETA after traveling hundreds of miles, I love astronomy, and I can find answers that no one else can in hundreds of thousands of rows of meta-data that our company stores. 

Help a 16 year old trapped in a 60 year old body find peace in this lifetime...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:33:24 PM by Sus_pilot »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
It would be a shame for an extremely knowledgeable contributor such as ApolloGnomon to be driven away by trolling of a self-proclaimed messiah.

Our new friend isn't the first poster to wander in to this forum (and others) and proclaim their genius only to be revealed very quickly as intellectual midgets with no knowledge of the subject at all. Constantly battling against the tide of human stupidity is wearing, but they should never be given the impression that they can win simply by barking loudly for long enough and we get sick of them.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »

It would be a shame for an extremely knowledgeable contributor such as ApolloGnomon to be driven away by trolling of a self-proclaimed messiah.

Our new friend isn't the first poster to wander in to this forum (and others) and proclaim their genius only to be revealed very quickly as intellectual midgets with no knowledge of the subject at all. Constantly battling against the tide of human stupidity is wearing, but they should never be given the impression that they can win simply by barking loudly for long enough and we get sick of them.

Here, here!  Well said!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »

As I like to say, lies fester in the dark.  Tradosaurus came here, so he can gird himself like a man. For we shall question him and he shall answer, to paraphrase the Book of Job.