Author Topic: Questions needing answers  (Read 140964 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Questions needing answers
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
Yes, it did.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
please correct me if I am wrong, didn't the center seat fold up a bit to allow a bit more space to work in?

Yes, this can clearly be seen in the James Burke video to be found at the BBC website. (Tour of the Command Module)

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
please correct me if I am wrong, didn't the center seat fold up a bit to allow a bit more space to work in?

Yes, this can clearly be seen in the James Burke video to be found at the BBC website. (Tour of the Command Module)

I don't think I have seen that one ... I'll have to look it up. Also, thanks to Jay for also confirming ...
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #378 on: April 12, 2016, 02:35:11 AM »

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #379 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:19 PM »

Yep, that's the lower equipment bay. Amongst other stuff, the CMP's navigation station was down/back there, including the astrogation optics, as well as a DSKY for computer access.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #380 on: April 19, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
Astrogation is a word? Makes sense I guess. Navigation would be for sea ships.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2016, 11:48:40 PM »
You know, I think astrogation is actually more of a classic science fiction term, and not an actual real world science term. :-[ Too much Heinlein, Asimov etc. I suspect! :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »
The first "real" SF book I read was Heinlein's "Starman Jones", where the protagonist runs away from home to join the Astrogators Guild.  I was 9, so I always took the word for granted.  :)
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:24 AM »
The first "real" SF book I read was Heinlein's "Starman Jones", where the protagonist runs away from home to join the Astrogators Guild.  I was 9, so I always took the word for granted.  :)

According to wikipedia

"Astrogation (a portmanteau of astronomical navigation), is the fictional navigation of spacecraft in interplanetary or interstellar travel. The term was first used by science fiction writers in the first half of the 20th century. An early usage is in the 1953 Robert A. Heinlein novel, Starman Jones."
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
My brother-in-law served aboard Perry-class frigates as a navigator.  And they just called him 'gator.  Methinks we can just drop the prefix.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »
My brother-in-law served aboard Perry-class frigates as a navigator.  And they just called him 'gator.  Methinks we can just drop the prefix.
Later Gator. ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #386 on: April 21, 2016, 11:41:51 PM »
You know, I think astrogation is actually more of a classic science fiction term, and not an actual real world science term. :-[ Too much Heinlein, Asimov etc. I suspect! :)

Hmph. Next thing, you're going to tell me that Stellar Cartography isn't real, either.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2016, 03:02:52 AM »

In Australian ships the CO will normally call them 'Pilot', though you still see plenty of ball caps with 'NAV' or 'NAVO' sewn into the rear.

Regarding the term, we called it astronavigation. This was both as an aircraft navigator and a seaman officer.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #388 on: April 22, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »
What do they call harbor pilots in Australia to distinguish them from the 'pilots' who are really navigators? Are warships required to have harbor pilots?

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #389 on: April 22, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
When I was in the USN sub force we called the navigator "Nav".  We would take on a local pilot (navigator familiar with the area) when entering a port other than our homeport.  He or she was called the pilot.

Ranb