Author Topic: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage  (Read 149434 times)

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
For anyone interested...even the exhaust from much larger hypergolic-fueled rockets in atmosphere can be hard to see, even when you have a clear view of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Proton_rocket_launch.jpg
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/178228/3125313GTDvoHY/C9vH6JDStB/428704.jpg
http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/148385/530wm/C0085561-Proton_rocket_launch-SPL.jpg

The engine in question here wasn't pushing a first stage largely full of fuel, an upper stage, and a payload to orbital velocity while in atmosphere, it was supplying just enough thrust to hover in 1/6th gravity while landing a small spacecraft, on top of operating in vacuum with the exhaust gases expanding outward in all directions rather than being confined to a narrow column by the surrounding atmosphere.

As usual, the supposed hoax evidence is just evidence of a lack of basic knowledge that could be remedied by just a little bit of research. Real research, not combing the internet for things that support your preconceived ideas.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
For anyone interested...even the exhaust from much larger hypergolic-fueled rockets in atmosphere can be hard to see, even when you have a clear view of it:

It certainly is quite remarkable the difference in visibility different rockets can have depending on the fuel used.
A good example is the Black Arrow :

http://www.britain-in-space.co.uk/1960/images/blackarrow01.jpg

Does not look at all what you would expect from a rocket really....

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
Why is it important to you that I must be converted to believe that the lunar landing was real?
Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are that important.  What you believe is unimportant and your projection that someone wants to "convert" you is uninteresting.  We ask you questions to see if you know what you are talking about, so that if you do have evidence of a hoax it can be thoroughly compared to known science and history. 

What if I am honest with you and say that I am convinced that we did not have the technology to go there safely then or in the next 10 years.

You say that technology was the problem but questioning has revealed you don't understand the relevant technology.  So your claim of honesty is...unconvincing.    I am far more interested in why you just make up one objection after another rather than try to learn.  Do you have any comments on that?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:30:23 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:46 AM »
Wouldn't most people want their faces associated with the greatest feat in human history?
All we have is pictures of somebody in a space suit.
Not one astronaut elected to have their face photographed while on an EVA.

Profmunkin, you made this assertion, and it was shown to be completely false.
I did ask you to comment on this and if you are to withdraw your erroneous belief.

Will you please do me the decency of replying? And will you please do this before asking any more random, badly researched questions?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:48:28 AM by Zakalwe »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
Two astronauts supposedly accomplish arguably the greatest feat in human history that may not ever be duplicated, landing on the moon. They have the option of showing their faces in a photograph, but Buzz elects to be obscured behind a reflective gold visor, First Man on the Moon Armstrong never poses for a photo.
Some people may not find this strange, some people may find this odd.

Well, maybe it is odd, or not, but why is it indicative of a hoax? How would a hoax prevent pictures of the astronauts' faces being taken?

In fact, if there were tons of closeup photos of the astronauts' faces, I'm sure you would be arguing, "OF COURSE it's a hoax. See? They only took photos of themselves. The government/media complex was trying to brainwash us into identifying with these Noble Adventurers by plastering their faces everywhere. If it were a real mission, they would have concentrated on the Moon, instead of themselves."

To my mind, it is perfectly normal that people with scientific and military training were less interested in lionizing themselves, and more interested in doing what they went there to do.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Two astronauts supposedly accomplish arguably the greatest feat in human history that may not ever be duplicated, landing on the moon. They have the option of showing their faces in a photograph, but Buzz elects to be obscured behind a reflective gold visor, First Man on the Moon Armstrong never poses for a photo.
Some people may not find this strange, some people may find this odd.

Well, maybe it is odd, or not, but why is it indicative of a hoax? How would a hoax prevent pictures of the astronauts' faces being taken?

In fact, if there were tons of closeup photos of the astronauts' faces, I'm sure you would be arguing, "OF COURSE it's a hoax. See? They only took photos of themselves. The government/media complex was trying to brainwash us into identifying with these Noble Adventurers by plastering their faces everywhere. If it were a real mission, they would have concentrated on the Moon, instead of themselves."

To my mind, it is perfectly normal that people with scientific and military training were less interested in lionizing themselves, and more interested in doing what they went there to do.

A very good point.  This is a common flaw with so many conspiracist arguments.  So desperate are they in their contortionist attempts to make some observation out to be suspicious, that they fail to think why the hoax theory would make any more sense.  It's like they think that simply throwing enough mud will make the hoax theory valid by default.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
I don't know.  There were no pictures of Edmund Hillary taken on top of Everest.  What conclusion ought we to draw from this?
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
Cannot help but think there is a trail of all three getting in the space ship and all that that entailed, who do you expect to see on the moon? Statler and Waldorf?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
I'm kind of wondering if maybe in the case of Apollo 11 there was a conscious decision by the astronauts to not show their faces because they "came in peace for all mankind". When you look at the famous picture of Buzz that I use as my avatar, you can't tell if it's a man or woman, or what their race is, because you can't see his face. Maybe that was intentional.

It seems like something Neil would do because he is often quick to remind us that a lot of people are responsible for getting him to the Moon. Buzz, on the other hand seems like more of a publicity seeker, at least recently.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
It could also be something they didn't think all that much about.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
It could also be something they didn't think all that much about.

Yeah, I agree it probably wasn't planned or purposeful. But it makes more sense than the conspiracy theory that it wasn't really Neil and Buzz inside the space suits or whatever it is that Profmunkin is getting at.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm kind of wondering if maybe in the case of Apollo 11 there was a conscious decision by the astronauts to not show their faces because they "came in peace for all mankind". When you look at the famous picture of Buzz that I use as my avatar, you can't tell if it's a man or woman, or what their race is, because you can't see his face. Maybe that was intentional.

It seems like something Neil would do because he is often quick to remind us that a lot of people are responsible for getting him to the Moon. Buzz, on the other hand seems like more of a publicity seeker, at least recently.
Neil Armstrong from the DAC, visor up.
http://blogs.sitepointstatic.com/images/tech/118-backup-nasa.jpg

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Whoa.

Twenty men pile up.
That's got to be intimidating.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
Buzz Aldrin, visible and recognizable even with the visor down.

AS11-40-5875
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »

Neil Armstrong from the DAC, visor up.
http://blogs.sitepointstatic.com/images/tech/118-backup-nasa.jpg

But notice he's looking cross sun.