Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 475940 times)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1035 on: September 04, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
While I realize the likely outcome of this...

Neil, would you please explain what, in your world, "proof" means? What is your definition of proof? How does it differ from evidence?

Proof is truth.
Evidence is belief.

This makes no sense, or displays a very poor knowledge of word meanings.

Something can be absolutely true, and yet not proved. (I had a cheese sandwich for supper last night. True, but what proof is there?)

Evidence has nothing to do with "belief". Evidence is the body of facts (individual pieces of "truth") that go towards proving something.

I think Neil's thesis is that if something is "true" (in his eyes), then it is, in his definition, "proved". No evidence is required, because he *knows* it to be true. Evidence, that annoying collection of facts that don't fit in his truth, does not appeal to him.

This is the very definition of "faith-based," but Neil will reject the idea, because it is not true to him, and therefore he will consider it proven wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1036 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »

This makes no sense, or displays a very poor knowledge of word meanings.

Something can be absolutely true, and yet not proved. (I had a cheese sandwich for supper last night. True, but what proof is there?)

Evidence has nothing to do with "belief". Evidence is the body of facts (individual pieces of "truth") that go towards proving something.

I think Neil's thesis is that if something is "true" (in his eyes), then it is, in his definition, "proved". No evidence is required, because he *knows* it to be true. Evidence, that annoying collection of facts that don't fit in his truth, does not appeal to him.

This is the very definition of "faith-based," but Neil will reject the idea, because it is not true to him, and therefore he will consider it proven wrong.
Did you or was the cheese tested prior to eating?  If you don't have video proof, I don't believe this story. ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #1037 on: September 04, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
Did you or was the cheese tested prior to eating?  If you don't have video proof, I don't believe this story. ::)
I'd like to confirm these statements, but NASA rejected my proposal to test grilled cheese in a vacuum chamber. They didn't even care whether it was cheddar or swiss. Conspiracy proved!
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
Gillianren

Re your first point - yes, and I did say way upthread that proof are only for mathematicians (but was ignored).

Re your second point - I absolutely agree.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
I'd like to confirm these statements, but NASA rejected my proposal to test grilled cheese in a vacuum chamber. They didn't even care whether it was cheddar or swiss. Conspiracy proved!

There is a hole in that theory.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1040 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »

There is a hole in that theory.

Groan   :P :P ;D ;D

This thread follows the same pattern as most CT threads.  What at first sight is an innocent discussion becomes a gish gallop of contradicting statements, spirals into the bizarre, insults are passed. the ignored ones become sarcastic, extreme views are expressed, challenges are made to LO (at announcements thread) as though the OP is demanding a ban to escape.
Yep...the inevitable is either a ban, a flounce or an implosion. Baker is fishing for a ban- then eh can justify it in his head that Apollohoax couldn't contain his truth and he had to be banned.
Truly, the hoaxie's mind must be a strange place!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1041 on: September 04, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »
Neil Baker. Direct Question. By your non-standard definitions of evidence and and proof, how would one convince anyone of any event they did not personally witness? A judge, jury, and prosecuting attorney would all have to be at the scene of the crime, as it happened in order, to convict by your seeming standards. Now, I get you don't exactly have the best relationship with the US criminal justice system, but I hope you can see the absurdity of that.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1042 on: September 04, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »
From "Project Apollo" on Facebook:

September 4, 1968....Three United States Air Force officers (Majors Alfred Davidson, Turnage Lindsey & Lloyd Reeder) assigned to the Flight Crew Suport Division at NASA's Johnson Space Center begin the final manned test of the Command Module in a vacuum chamber that would last 125 hours. They would simulate living conditions in the CM, depressurize/repressurize the crew compartment, simulate an EVA and more importantly test the new lightweight hatch redesigned after the Apollo 1 fire

Maybe they used the sublimator on the spacesuits during their EVAs?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #1043 on: September 04, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
Neil, I dont want to alarm you, but there may be a boogey man or boogey men in your house!
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1044 on: September 04, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

You should be forcibly committed to a mental institution.

I have been. Twice.

Shocker, that. Chin up, third time's a charm...

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #1045 on: September 04, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
I say there's a demonstration that can be performed to PROVE whether or not Apollo was a hoax.

To the satisfaction of all hoax believers, or you alone?

By your estimation, what percentage of HB's know what a sublimator is?

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #1046 on: September 04, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »

You should be forcibly committed to a mental institution.

I have been. Twice.
The first time for inciting a strike demanding an Independent, fully funded and fully empowered 9-11 Investigation and the second time for breaking a window demanding an Independent, fully funded and fully empowered 9-11 Investigation.
I've been evaluated by four psychiatrists and two psychologists.
All reached the same diagnosis, no mental illness, no personality disorders, no required medication.
One of the psychiatrist's reports stated that he thought I was a bit narcissistic but then added, "but these days, who isn't?"
I don't think most could pass the test.

Someone was being utterly and totally negligent in letting you out. Either time.

You should be committed permanently, because you are a danger to others.

I notice you completely and totally ignored the rest of what I wrote, to focus on that which your fragile psyche could handle. I'll post it again so you'll be sure to see it. And if that doesn't work, I'll keep posting it until you do.

I am firmly convinced that you have a serious mental illness. I am further convinced that your mental illness makes you a danger to others.

I am even further convinced that you are not an engineer, nor have you ever had any service in the military. Solely because of your own statements on this forum, I am absolutely and totally convinced that any documentation of your claim to have a degree or any education in engineering, or any presentation of a DD-214 would be forged. It is impossible for you to prove this to my satisfaction.

You are willfully, intentionally, and pathologically a liar. Your opinions are worthless when compared to documented and verified evidence.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1047 on: September 04, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
It is also not a bad thing in and of itself to need medication...  The goal of medication is to prevent things like delusions, so saying someone is medicated is, perhaps ironically, a way of crediting the reasonability of their thinking.

This reminds me of every old movie/TV show/cartoon that depicted a person wearing thick glasses as having difficulty seeing.  If the prescription is right, they should see just fine.

"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »
I say there's a demonstration that can be performed to PROVE whether or not Apollo was a hoax.

To the satisfaction of all hoax believers, or you alone?

By your estimation, what percentage of HB's know what a sublimator is?
My guess would be not very many.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #1049 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »