Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 476097 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1065 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
Look at it this way: at least Mr Baker has gone a step above Turbonium's insistence on testing the LM by landing on the Earth. At least the sublimator test would be a test in the sort of environment in which it would be operated...

(I know, I know...)
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1066 on: September 05, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
He's better than Turbonium?  Wow, THAT'S a ringing endorsement.  [/sarcasm]
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1067 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
Look at it this way: at least Mr Baker has gone a step above Turbonium's insistence on testing the LM by landing on the Earth. At least the sublimator test would be a test in the sort of environment in which it would be operated...

(I know, I know...)
He's better than Turbonium?  Wow, THAT'S a ringing endorsement.  [/sarcasm]

I wished I had been around during the go-go days of the hoax. >:(
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1068 on: September 05, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »
Forcibly committed twice you say? Ah, well...third time lucky!
:-)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1069 on: September 05, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Forcibly committed twice you say? Ah, well...third time lucky!
:-)
Oy, LO already said to knock off the mental health cracks. Plenty of us here either have issues, so, please, out of respect for the rest of us, if not Neil Baker, lay off, please.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1070 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:05 AM »
I wonder if Mr Baker is aware that the LM (and some other spacecraft) also use sublimators for cooling.  Of course, he probably thinks they are inflatable dummies as well, with no real documentation.  And some are from other countries, which also don't count apparently.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1071 on: September 06, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
I wonder if Mr Baker is aware that the LM (and some other spacecraft) also use sublimators for cooling. 
Like the CSM. Radiators were primary, but water boilers were backup. Not sure why they weren't called "sublimators" but the overall phase change (liquid->gas) was the same.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1072 on: September 06, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »

Like the CSM. Radiators were primary, but water boilers were backup. Not sure why they weren't called "sublimators" but the overall phase change (liquid->gas) was the same.
But were they tested in a vacuum chamber and videoed?

I KNOW   I KNOW :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1073 on: September 06, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
I wonder if Mr Baker is aware that the LM (and some other spacecraft) also use sublimators for cooling. 

Sublimation implies that the phase chance is ice > gas.  Remember the PLSS originally had a boiler and then changed to a sublimator.

I wonder what factors drive the choice between a radiator and a boiler/sublimator.  Off the top of my head boiling/sublimation being perhaps more efficient and lighter in the short term, but not so in the longer term.  The Shuttle seems to have used a third variant of the process, a flash evaporator.

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #1074 on: September 08, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
Galileo begged his inquisitors to peer through his telescope to KNOW the truth.
I realize that I'm a little late on commenting on this, but I'm still boggling at the sheer irony of Neil making this comment on a thread in which he was literally told to just look through a telescope (at the ISS).

EDIT: Added a missing "late" to the above comment.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:08:02 PM by Cat Not Included »
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #1075 on: September 08, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
I realize that I'm a little on commenting on this, but I'm still boggling at the sheer irony of Neil making this comment on a thread in which he was literally told to just look through a telescope (at the ISS).

That would require effort on his part.

Effort which he knows will certainly bring the house of cards he has so laboriously built to support his fantasy, crashing down around his feet.

He also knows (however subconsciously) that he couldn't handle the cognitive dissonance that would ensue, and therefore likely never even saw the connection, lest it upset the applecart. He also knows that he can't actively go and look at any of the evidence that has been copiously presented, or the same results will ensue.  Something like being forced to accept proof of something he held to be false is likely what sets him off in the first place.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1076 on: September 08, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
I realize that I'm a little on commenting on this, but I'm still boggling at the sheer irony of Neil making this comment on a thread in which he was literally told to just look through a telescope (at the ISS).
Fair point. I missed that one. By his argument, we might as easily claim that Jupiter and the Galilean moons are inflatables.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1077 on: September 08, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
Fair point. I missed that one. By his argument, we might as easily claim that Jupiter and the Galilean moons are inflatables.

You mean they aren't? ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1078 on: September 08, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »
Sublimation implies that the phase chance is ice > gas.  Remember the PLSS originally had a boiler and then changed to a sublimator.
Yes, but that ice first has to freeze from the liquid phase. That releases heat of its own that must be rejected by some of the vapor leaving the sublimator. I suspect the overall effect is the same as simply boiling the liquid directly, i.e., heat of boiling = heat of sublimation - heat of fusion.
I wonder what factors drive the choice between a radiator and a boiler/sublimator.  Off the top of my head boiling/sublimation being perhaps more efficient and lighter in the short term, but not so in the longer term.  The Shuttle seems to have used a third variant of the process, a flash evaporator.
It's probably practicality. The porous-plate sublimator has a nifty self-regulating feature. When the ice forms, it blocks the supply of feed water. As it sublimates, it reopens those pores and allows fresh feedwater to flow and freeze.

Flash evaporation is how conventional air conditioning evaporators work. Because the coolant doesn't freeze, the flow probably has to be actively regulated to match the heat rejection rate. But it probably achieves greater cooling per unit size and mass than a sublimator, and that's probably why it was used on the shuttle where the heat rejection rates are pretty high.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1079 on: September 08, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »

You mean they aren't? ::)
Sorry, I have said to much. Forget everything. Some well built gentlemen will be calling to your door. Do as they say and all will be well. Maybe.

;D ;D ;D ;D