Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 475790 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1095 on: September 10, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
I am minded of Moon Man's plaintive cry for an answer as to at what altitude above the moon's surface did the vacuum start and how did it extend all the way to Earth, and how far did this supposed vacuum extend. Those were actual questions asked.

Moon Man remains one of the two or three people I've encountered here and at BAUT over the years who is still quoted by some of my friends.  Along with Michael Mozina and his Solid Solar Surface garbage.  And, yes, it's the "alleged vacuum" quote that they reference from Moon Man.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1096 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
For most intents and purposes the ISS is a balloon.  An inhabited balloon made of aluminum.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1097 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
For most intents and purposes the ISS is a balloon.  An inhabited balloon made of aluminum.
Great allegory, Jay. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1098 on: September 10, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Oh well, at least he isn't claiming David Niven's autobiography is an example of Hollywood whistleblowing. ::)
(Quite a fun read by the way. Well worth picking up.)

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #1099 on: September 10, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »
Fair enough. In that vein, can I suggest considering the transit across the sun in tandem with a separate transit across the moon, and point out that the size of the ISS, when you consider that the Moon almost covers the Sun exactly in a solar eclipse, is remarkably consistent between the two - indicating that its height is consistent between the two series, and reinforcing the viewpoint that it's in a broadly fixed-height orbit above us.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I had the impression that Neil thought the ISS was an inflatable object, but was fully the size of the ISS and in the same orbit. Just, ya know, inflatable. So it should behave in most ways like the ISS.

Of course, it is utterly baffling to me why he thinks we could put a giant inflatable device in orbit but not could possibly put an actual space station there.

And while I don't know exactly what, I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few engineering problems that could be solved or assisted if we COULD built giant inflatable devices capable of going in a stable orbit with less effort than it takes to launch a solid object.

Bigelow?
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #1100 on: September 10, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
And this leads right back to the inconsistent HB claim. The EBIL GUBBMINT is simultaneously so supremely powerful that it can silence any whistle blower by blandishment or assassination as required but at the very same time puts the evidence of their conspiracy on the intertubes for any moron to find.

Riddle me that.

My kid brother is a Bigfoot/Alien conspiracist. He really believes all that stuff. His hero is Georgio Tsoukalis. I am convinced that he also doesn't think Apollo happened as the historical record portrays, but knows to keep his tongue around me.

I finally shut him up years ago with this:

All of the lunar landings occurred during the Nixon Administration. If Nixon couldn't keep a burglary done by three guys a secret, how in the hell do you think he could keep secret a lunar landing fake when the program had over 400,000 people working on it?

Hasn't said a word about it since.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1101 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
Fair enough. In that vein, can I suggest considering the transit across the sun in tandem with a separate transit across the moon, and point out that the size of the ISS, when you consider that the Moon almost covers the Sun exactly in a solar eclipse, is remarkably consistent between the two - indicating that its height is consistent between the two series, and reinforcing the viewpoint that it's in a broadly fixed-height orbit above us.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I had the impression that Neil thought the ISS was an inflatable object, but was fully the size of the ISS and in the same orbit. Just, ya know, inflatable. So it should behave in most ways like the ISS.

Of course, it is utterly baffling to me why he thinks we could put a giant inflatable device in orbit but not could possibly put an actual space station there.

And while I don't know exactly what, I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few engineering problems that could be solved or assisted if we COULD built giant inflatable devices capable of going in a stable orbit with less effort than it takes to launch a solid object.

Bigelow?
He asserted, of course without evidence, they were involved somehow, claiming they were involved in black ops of some nebulous, nefarious nature.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1102 on: September 10, 2015, 08:51:51 PM »

My kid brother is a Bigfoot/Alien conspiracist. He really believes all that stuff. His hero is Georgio Tsoukalis. I am convinced that he also doesn't think Apollo happened as the historical record portrays, but knows to keep his tongue around me.

I finally shut him up years ago with this:

All of the lunar landings occurred during the Nixon Administration. If Nixon couldn't keep a burglary done by three guys a secret, how in the hell do you think he could keep secret a lunar landing fake when the program had over 400,000 people working on it?

Hasn't said a word about it since.
I'd recognize that do from a mile away
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=giorgio+tsoukalos
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1103 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Oh well, at least he isn't claiming David Niven's autobiography is an example of Hollywood whistleblowing. ::)

I didn't even have to look that up to get a laugh!!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1104 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:57 PM »

Yay shared reference getting! (Seriously, there needs to be a word for that.)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1105 on: September 11, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »

Me neither!

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1106 on: September 11, 2015, 04:54:46 AM »

Nail
Head.

Heck...Clinton couldn't keep his, erm, cigar antics quiet and there was only two people present at the time!  As Michael Collins stated- most Americans couldn't keep a secret for a weekend, never mind for 40 years!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1107 on: September 11, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »

Nail
Head.

Heck...Clinton couldn't keep his, erm, cigar antics quiet and there was only two people present at the time!  As Michael Collins stated- most Americans couldn't keep a secret for a weekend, never mind for 40 years!
The whole secret is one of the fabrics that hold the HB's argument together.  Same goes for alien landings/scientific accomplishments that the government holds at Area 51.  Of course the secret government work at Area 51  helps promote this secret.  Now if the government can keep secrets at Area 51 then the HB's cling to hope.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1108 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
The whole secret is one of the fabrics that hold the HB's argument together.  Same goes for alien landings/scientific accomplishments that the government holds at Area 51.  Of course the secret government work at Area 51  helps promote this secret.  Now if the government can keep secrets at Area 51 then the HB's cling to hope.

But could they?

For years, people who observed the goings on at Area 51/Groom Lake reported seeing black triangular shaped "UFO's" coming and going at night.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1109 on: September 11, 2015, 08:36:56 AM »

But could they?

For years, people who observed the goings on at Area 51/Groom Lake reported seeing black triangular shaped "UFO's" coming and going at night.

There were sightings/photos of these objects and one would assume that something was being tested, but the exact information at least wasn't readily available to the general public.  Perhaps the KBG or the Stasi knew about them, but they weren't going to spill the beans to the population.  Rather like when the British broke the Enigma code, they has to keep that secret as well.
Overall I do think it was/is an impossibility to keep a NASA fraud from being uncovered by some investigative reporter at sometime in the last 45+ years.
Eugene Cernan