Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 475923 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1125 on: September 13, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »

His "observers" (if actually honest) would look at him and say, "Yup, no question: the Sublimator works as advertised." At which point he'd simply claim that the infamous NASA DEATH SQUADS had obviously gotten to his observers to keep them from confirming his idea.
Conjures up guys toting Thompson sub machine guns, silencing those who blab.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1126 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:11 PM »
I still can't figure out what he thinks he'd see.  It's got to be something visible, because otherwise, what's the point of video?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1127 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:49 AM »
I still can't figure out what he thinks he'd see.  It's got to be something visible, because otherwise, what's the point of video?
I would have to go look it up to confirm, but I think it was Ralph Rene who first claimed that there should be visible puffs of steam coming from the PLSS periodically.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1128 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:31 AM »
I would have to go look it up to confirm, but I think it was Ralph Rene who first claimed that there should be visible puffs of steam coming from the PLSS periodically.

I'm pretty sure "Cosmic" Dave Cosnette made a similar claim on his page of claims, though he may have got it from Rene.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1129 on: September 14, 2015, 03:26:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure "Cosmic" Dave Cosnette made a similar claim on his page of claims, though he may have got it from Rene.

Did either of them say why they expected to see puffs of steam?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1130 on: September 14, 2015, 04:10:44 AM »

Did either of them say why they expected to see puffs of steam?
P102 of Rene's book

"NASA claims that rotation kept the command ship cool. Maybe the astronauts should
have pirouetted like ballerinas as they went their merry way. But then would this have
seemed less than masculine? In the end the only thing that could have preserved their lives
for all those hours in that Sun was air-conditioning, which they didn't have. If they had really
had suit air-conditioners that worked, every time the suit was vented into the high vacuum of
space the rocket-effect should have been spectacular. A rapidly expanding fog of ice crystals
would have reflected the brilliant unfiltered sun light; spraying millions of tiny diamond-like
crystals about and producing a brilliant, dazzling and unforgettable display.
We can be sure our astronauts never released water in this manner, since, not one of the
thousands of pictures taken on the Moon, or during the space walks, has ever shown such a
display. NASA would hardly pass up a spectacular photo opportunity like that!"

Although the antipodean who shall not be named is still selling it on Rene's site, the PDF is freely available.

http://www.checktheevidence.com/pdf/Ralph%20Rene%20-%20NASA_mooned_america.pdf

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1131 on: September 14, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
P102 of Rene's book

"NASA claims that rotation kept the command ship cool. Maybe the astronauts should
have pirouetted like ballerinas as they went their merry way. But then would this have
seemed less than masculine? In the end the only thing that could have preserved their lives
for all those hours in that Sun was air-conditioning, which they didn't have. If they had really
had suit air-conditioners that worked, every time the suit was vented into the high vacuum of
space the rocket-effect should have been spectacular. A rapidly expanding fog of ice crystals
would have reflected the brilliant unfiltered sun light; spraying millions of tiny diamond-like
crystals about and producing a brilliant, dazzling and unforgettable display.
We can be sure our astronauts never released water in this manner, since, not one of the
thousands of pictures taken on the Moon, or during the space walks, has ever shown such a
display. NASA would hardly pass up a spectacular photo opportunity like that!"

Although the antipodean who shall not be named is still selling it on Rene's site, the PDF is freely available.

http://www.checktheevidence.com/pdf/Ralph%20Rene%20-%20NASA_mooned_america.pdf
It is clear that Rene did not understand the physics of the sublimators either.  But then I'm not surprised as everything I have read/seen concerning the "self" taught engineer is wrong.  Perhaps he should have invested a few thousand dollars to get some real education.

Oh wait he had disgust for the "gas bag" scientists didn't he?  M impression is he was a bitter old man that wanted recognition for his self worth very much.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1132 on: September 14, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Say, I wonder if that's where Dan O'Bannon got the idea from (or who ever thought of having those Moebius-designed space suits on "Alien" visibly vent every now and then).

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #1133 on: September 15, 2015, 12:28:39 AM »
Well, remember that the planet had an atmosphere, and the type of sublimators we're talking about do not work in an atmosphere.  I wonder if they would work on Mars?

I recall the incident on Apollo 12 when Al Bean accidentally let the LM door close, and the out-gassing from his suit pressurized the LM just enough  that the sublimator stopped working.  When he realized what had happened, he opened the door (incidentally causing a visible burst of vapor) and it started working again.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1134 on: September 15, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
John Mollo, and he did the venting effect "because he could."  That sort of thing drives a lot of fictional design.  You do what looks cool and then invent a reason for it later.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #1135 on: September 15, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
But wait, aren't there photos of the crews on the lunar surface with halos of gas around their heads? I seem to recall one of the later missions, seeing a photo of a perfect sphere of light blue glow around one of the astronaut's heads. I can't remember whether it was John Young or Jack Schmitt who was in the photo.

I've gone through the ALSJ a couple of times, and I can't find the photo, but I know I've seen it.

Man, it's no fun getting old. It's terrible that your memory is the second thing to go.
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1136 on: September 15, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
I know the photo you mean, and while it was once speculated that the halo effect was due to sublimation outgassing, it was eventually shown that lens contamination was a more likely explanation.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1137 on: September 15, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »
I don't know if this is the image you are referring, from A12. 
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/AS12-48-7071HR.jpg
Al's picture of Pete taking Al's picture. Pete is holding the extension handle in his left hand.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #1138 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »
Two images on Apollo 12 magazine 46 are good examples of the blue smudge:

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1139 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
I don't know if this is the image you are referring, from A12. 
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/AS12-48-7071HR.jpg
Al's picture of Pete taking Al's picture. Pete is holding the extension handle in his left hand.

Looks more like the lens was hit by direct sunlight.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.