Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 475815 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1230 on: January 31, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

If the Van Allen belts are so insignificant why is NASA trying to figure out how to get through them on their supposed planned trip to Mars?
You misunderstood Mr. Smith's video.  THE VARB have always been a concern for NS not the impediment you suggest.
Try looking tat this simple web site and calculate what the radiation doses were for Apollo.
http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Space_Math_III.pdf
Mr. Smith is describing that with newer electronics that are more susceptible to radiation damage than those used in Apollo missions, Orion radiation shielding must be better than Apollo for extended missions lasting months if not years versus the roughly two week mission of Apollo.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #1231 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
Basically you have a lot of argument from incredulity and not much else.

they did use batteries, the specs of which are available if you look and you can see there WAS enough power for what they needed to do.

As for the Van Allen belts, why should he remember an insignificant part of the trip multiple years later when they were on a preplanned trajectory that took them AROUND the belts anyway?
If the Van Allen belts are so insignificant why is NASA trying to figure out how to get through them on their supposed planned trip to Mars?
Is not that Van Allen Belts are dangerous, its the interplanetary space. Orion will need to travel for months in that place opposed to Apollo.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1232 on: January 31, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »

According to NASA, the batteries during in the Apollo moon vacation (no qty given on their sight) were 3" x 2 3/4" x 6.78" and weighed 135 lbs.  My car battery is much bigger and weighs less than 30 lbs.  I guess 1960's technology was way more advanced than today.  LOL. 
Again, i ask the nasa fanbase what powered the sublimator to heat and cool the suits and module in extreme temperatures using 1960's technology?
You display very poor to nonexistent amount of research on the matter, the batteries you describe were for the LM not the PLSS.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090016295.pdf

Documentation of the PLSS shows it weighed 84 lbs. on earth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_Life_Support_System

EDIT: To correct spelling errors
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:43:29 AM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1233 on: January 31, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
The biggest concern I have about the cooling of the space suits is the battery technology to operate it. 

Alan Bean was interviewed and when asked what cooled the module and space suits he said battery packs.  Of course he also wasn't aware he went through the Van Allen radiation belts. lol

Sorry, but batteries are extremely inefficient and I'm pretty sure there were no solar chargers.  Also battery technology would have been extremely heavy and bulky and most definitely could not have lasted long in +/- 200F temperatures. 

I think the sublimator is a neat parlor trick by NASA but you can't get there from here on the power to run this fictitious piece of cooling equipment.

What you either don't know or are ignoring is Al Bean was discussing the Skylab mission when the question of the Van Allen Belts came up. Taking a quote out of context is a poor way to get answers.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1234 on: January 31, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »

What you either don't know or are ignoring is Al Bean was discussing the Skylab mission when the question of the Van Allen Belts came up. Taking a quote out of context is a poor way to get answers.
That part has been clipped out so it is out of context also.  I haven't heard the original video  where the Skylab question was asked, thanks for the info.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1235 on: January 31, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
According to NASA

What's "NASA"?

Again, i ask the nasa fanbase what powered the sublimator to heat and cool the suits and module in extreme temperatures using 1960's technology?
If you don't know the specs of the batteries, then how can you claim that they weren't sufficient? You claim that they batteries weren't capable, then please show how you came to that conclusion.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1236 on: January 31, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
Of course he also wasn't aware he went through the Van Allen radiation belts. lol

That's because he didn't.

Also battery technology would have been extremely heavy and bulky and most definitely could not have lasted long in +/- 200F temperatures.

LM and EMU batteries were contained inside structure.  What makes you think there would be any thermal fluctuations there?

The LM had approximately 1600 A h of batteries, of the then-exotic silver-zinc type.  These were the forerunners of today's quite ubiquitous high energy density batteries.  Exotic then, yes, but certainly not unheard of in the literature.

I think the sublimator is a neat parlor trick by NASA but you can't get there from here on the power to run this fictitious piece of cooling equipment.

Sublimators are fictitious?  Sublimators are NASA-only technology?  And you claim to be an engineer?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1237 on: January 31, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
Basically you have a lot of argument from incredulity and not much else.

they did use batteries, the specs of which are available if you look and you can see there WAS enough power for what they needed to do.

As for the Van Allen belts, why should he remember an insignificant part of the trip multiple years later when they were on a preplanned trajectory that took them AROUND the belts anyway?
I didn't say they were insignificant.  Please read what I wrote, not what you wish I wrote.  I said it was an insignificant part of the trip because they used a trajectory that took them around the belts. 
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1238 on: January 31, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
The biggest concern I have about the cooling of the space suits is the battery technology to operate it. 

Alan Bean was interviewed and when asked what cooled the module and space suits he said battery packs.  Of course he also wasn't aware he went through the Van Allen radiation belts. lol

Sorry, but batteries are extremely inefficient and I'm pretty sure there were no solar chargers.  Also battery technology would have been extremely heavy and bulky and most definitely could not have lasted long in +/- 200F temperatures. 

Do feel free to provide absolutely any evidence whatsoever to support anything you've just posted.
According to NASA, the batteries during in the Apollo moon vacation (no qty given on their sight) were 3" x 2 3/4" x 6.78" and weighed 135 lbs.  My car battery is much bigger and weighs less than 30 lbs.  I guess 1960's technology was way more advanced than today.  LOL. 
Your car battery is a lead acid battery used because it can support a lot of discharge/recharge cycles but NOT because it is particularly efficient.  Apollo used IIRC silver zinc batteries which, though expensive, have a better power efficiency than lithium batteries.
You were asked to provide evidence.  You provided conjecture and proof you hadn't bothered to research.  Try again.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1239 on: January 31, 2016, 01:09:34 PM »

That part has been clipped out so it is out of context also.  I haven't heard the original video  where the Skylab question was asked, thanks for the info.
Another Apollo defender posted a clip of the actual question and answer on Youtube, but unfortunately I failed to save it anywhere and I cannot remember who it was who posted it. I'm afraid it's just my word on that until and unless I can find the clip, so take it with the appropriate grain of salt.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1240 on: January 31, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »

Another Apollo defender posted a clip of the actual question and answer on Youtube, but unfortunately I failed to save it anywhere and I cannot remember who it was who posted it. I'm afraid it's just my word on that until and unless I can find the clip, so take it with the appropriate grain of salt.
It sounds about correct, for the HB's to take a comment out of context and present it to bolster their point.  I shall look for it also, if it hasn't been pulled.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1241 on: January 31, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
According to NASA, the batteries during in the Apollo moon vacation (no qty given on their sight) were 3" x 2 3/4" x 6.78" and weighed 135 lbs.  My car battery is much bigger and weighs less than 30 lbs.

Why would an engineer compare two entirely dissimilar battery technologies simply by mass and dimensions?  Do you understand that there are different ways to store electrical energy as chemical energy?

I guess 1960's technology was way more advanced than today.  LOL.

The lead-acid battery was invented in the 1850s.  My car still uses a lead-acid battery.  Why?  Is it because no better technology exists?  My cell phone uses a lithium battery (I think).  Why not a lead-acid battery?

It is easy to discover that the lunar module used silver-zinc battery technology, and it's not as if NASA had any sort of monopoly (or control of any kind) over its history and development.  In your rush to declare NASA and Apollo frauds, you don't seem to have researched it much, or about science in general.

i ask the nasa fanbase what powered the sublimator to heat and cool the suits and module in extreme temperatures using 1960's technology?

What makes you think a sublimator requires power to operate?  What makes you think a sublimator would put heat into a system?  Do you even know what one is or how it works?

You keep speaking about "extreme temperatures," but you can't seem to tell us what actually exhibited those temperatures and why.  You don't seem to understand the role of insulation in a thermal design.

You speak in vague terms about "1960s technology," but you don't seem to know any of the technology that actually existed in the 1960s or how it worked.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #1242 on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

The beauty of the cooling system on the spacesuits was, that the power needed was mainly the heat it had to dissipate. Only a small water pump, smaller than what you put in your aquarium, needed electricity.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1243 on: January 31, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
I remember looking up the power density at one of those battery comparison charts after seeing on something from NASA what the battery chemistry was on the rover. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to do the same for the PLSS.

What would make a more intriguing problem is figuring out if there is sufficient battery life there. Tradosaurus seems to be assuming an electrically powered refrigeration cycle -- a Carnot heat engine, do I have the term right? Of course the sublimator isn't a closed-cycle unit; the work is derived from the reservoir of working fluid, and the limiting factor is the amount of water carried in the first place.

But...locally cooling just the back of your neck is probably not the most effective, so there is need to push cold water through the loops of the thermal undergarment to get it to where it is most wanted. And it might be fun to work out a rough approximation of what kind of power that might take.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #1244 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »

Also battery technology would have been extremely heavy and bulky and most definitely could not have lasted long in +/- 200F temperatures. 

Please tell us WHAT varied in temp from minus to plus 200 F, and how you measured the temp range.....